• Advertisement

TGIF ~ How To Get Clean Water ~

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
Knuckle

TGIF ~ How To Get Clean Water ~

Postby Knuckle » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:24 pm

If you haven't noticed by now, I am trying to create specific topics that folks can add to on given subjects. And I'm using the ~ symbols ~ to make it easy to denote these subjects as a sort of reference too. By delegating a specific topic, we should be able to cover aspects regarding precautions,symptoms, and procedures to achieving a solution. For each fix, there should be a decent explanation to accomplish the task and maybe even mention of where to acquire the goods if possible and for how much....(hopefully). I'm hoping others will join in with their collected data regrading said topics too.

Here is what I found to start this topic off with....

24 METHODS TO PURIFY WATER

SEPARATION: HEAT, LIGHT & GRAVITY

SEDIMENTATION gravitationally settles heavy suspended material.

BOILING WATER for 15 to 20 minutes kills 99.9% of all living things and vaporizes most chemicals. Minerals, metals, solids and the contamination from the cooking container become more concentrated.

DISTILLATION boils and recondenses the water, but many chemicals vaporize and recondense in concentration in the output water. It is also expensive to boil & cool water.

ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT is a good bactericide, but has no residual kill, and works only in clearly filtered water. Still in its infancy stage is a new technology involving super white light.

CHEMICALS

CHLORINE is common, cheap, but extremely toxic. It does not decrease physical or chemical contamination, it does increase colesterol formations, is a carcinogen, and causes heart disease.

BROMINE, used in pools and spas, doesn't smell or taste as bad and doesn't kill bacteria very well.

IODINE is not practical, and is mostly used by campers.

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE kills bacteria with oxygen, is chemically made and is very toxic. It is used in emergencies.

SILVER is an effective bactericide but a cumulative poison which concentrates and doesn't evaporate.

NONTOXIC ORGANIC ACIDS should be used with caution in large water plants only.

LIME AND MILD ALKALINE AGENTS should also be used with caution only by large water plants, or only for laundry.

NEUTRALIZING CHEMICALS react with the unwanted chemicals and produce outgases and a sediment, but levels of need vary.

COAGULATION-FLOCCULATION adds chemicals which lump together suspended particles for filtration or separation.

ION EXCHANGE exchanges sodium from salt for calcium or magnesium, using either glauconite (greensand), precipitated synthetic organic resins, or gel zeolite, thus softening the water. Minerals, metals, chemicals or odors are not affected, and the water is salty to drink.

FILTRATION

SLOW SAND of 1 cubic meter passes about 2 liters/min, and does a limited bacteria removal.

PRESSURE SAND of 1 cubic meter passes about 40gpm and must be backwashed daily.

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH removes small suspended particles at high flow rates, must be daily backwashed and is expensive.

POROUS STONE/CERAMIC filters are small but expensive, and do not effect chemicals, bacteria or odors.

PAPER or CLOTH filters are disposable and filter to one micron, but do not have much capacity.

CHARCOAL:
-COMPRESSED CHARCOAL/CARBON BLOCK is the best type of charcoal filter, can remove chemicals and lead, but is easily clogged, so should be used with a sediment prefilter.

-GRANULAR CHARCOAL is cheaper, but water can flow around the granules without being treated.
-POWDERED CHARCOAL is a very fine dust useful for spot cleaning larger bodies of water, but is messy and can pass through some filters and be consumed.

REVERSE OSMOSIS uses a membrane with microscopic holes that require 4 to 8 times the volume of water processed to wash it in order to remove minerals and salt, but not necessarily chemicals and bacteria.

ENZYMES & BACTERIA combined can remove contaminants and reduce sludge. See recent article on enzymes & bacteria.

OXYDATION

AERATION sprays water into the air to raise the oxygen content, to break down odors, and to balance the dissolved gases. However, it takes space, is expensive, and picks up contaminants from the air.

OZONE is a very good bactericide, using highly charged oxygen molecules to kill microorganisms on contact, and to ozidize and flocculate iron, manganese and other dissolved minerals for post-filtration and backwashing.

ELECTRONIC PURIFICATION and DISSOLVED OXYGEN GENERATION creates super oxygenated water in a dissolved state that lowers the surface tension of the water and effectively treats all three types of contamination: physical, chemical and biological.
Last edited by Knuckle on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Re: ~ How To Get Clean Water ~

Postby Goldie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Knuckle... perhaps you could go back and add a search word to the subject line ,
Reference by Knuckle - ( your title ) -

When I see them, they are excellent and organized, but still might get lost in the all the topics here.

Or maybe we need to move all such topics by Knuckle in a Topic folder for
- Knuckles Reference Topics -
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Another idea is to make your REFERENCE articles downloadable in page / booklet form so people can print and add your notes
to a 3 ring binder and start building a PAPER reference book .
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Goldie wrote:Another idea is to make your REFERENCE articles downloadable in page / booklet form so people can print and add your notes
to a 3 ring binder and start building a PAPER reference book .

I like your ideas on how to approach this. The sharing of knowledge is what I'd hoped for when I came to this forum. I know my approach is overall less social as listing collected subject matter is obviously more formal, but it then makes collecting the knowledge easier for the collector. I also like the search parameter idea too. Good point! Now you have me thinking about what to use here...hmmm!

Using my name suggests that it is all me only and this isn't what I'm striving for at all. There are far too many things to list regarding prepping and the sharing of our collected knowledge for only one person to enter it all here alone. I was really hoping that if I started such an approach, others would maybe decide to join in too(hopefully using this approach). Many here know more about certain topics (as they have a natural interest in that topic) and thus can use this knowledge to reduce the content on that subject to that which is essential for readers to know.

Thanks for the input Goldie, as usual, it's always good to know that you've got my back. 8-)
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:39 pm

In the meantime, I just finished writing this......

The Big Problem

Obtaining clean water is a giant problem in today's world. We rely totally on our local water treatment plant to perform this task daily and know that life would indeed become complicated if this system were to fail for even a few days.

Many procrastinate and delay efforts to prepare for such an event as storing large quantities of water has it's own issues too as bacteria in the water can then grow and you once again are no further ahead. So the final decision is to hope that you have enough advanced warning before a crisis hits to start the collection of this vital commodity.

I'm hoping others will add some input to this thread regarding the best procedure they've found for filtering. Just even dig up some collected files and change a word or to make it your own here while sharing the knowledge you've collected along the way. There are so many aspects to this subject alone and explaining each above topic as simply as possible is how to accomplish sharing this knowledge for all to have access to if the need should ever arise.

Just Thinking Outside of the Box

But there are things that you still can do in the meantime regarding this aspect. Storage of quantity of such an item itself is a task as we'd need to put it somewhere out of the way of everyday travel. Even containers to hold such quantities would be hard to work around unless they were collapsible like that of ...... a water bed bladder! (don't you wish you'd kept 1 or 2 now). And a good place to store them out of the way would be even just under a regular mattress.

Now in times when heat and power would become a valued commodity, having a waterbed could meet some of this criteria better than many might think as an insulated waterbed could also help hold some captured heat from daytime to help heat a room and the occupants at night. Having the original thermostats and heater pads would allow for simple storage of power in a sense like a batteries energy. The difference is this energy is a lot less controllable in how it is released. Water heating has been used for heat for over a hundred years now, but your used to seeing it in the old radiators sitting by windows in old buildings from your past. Now no one drank the water from these systems, but there might be methods of using and storing this valuable resource that again allow us to hold larger reserves in the meantime....just in case!

In the meantime, adding water bed bladders to your shopping list might therefore be at least a first step in resolving a critical issue that many haven't addressed as yet. Just a thought!

What I can imagine though is that blood is flowing to other regions of Peppercorn's and C5's brain as they now contemplate new ideas on this old topic. I'm hoping they too will again consider the possibilities that could help us see new answers to this old problem.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Goldie wrote:Knuckle... perhaps you could go back and add a search word to the subject line ,
Reference by Knuckle - ( your title ) -

When I see them, they are excellent and organized, but still might get lost in the all the topics here.

Or maybe we need to move all such topics by Knuckle in a Topic folder for
- Knuckles Reference Topics -

Okay Goldie, I did as you suggested. I used TGIF (for Thank God I'm F...inding it :lol: )

That was a good idea as I can then list only those topics that stayed more on topic or that I perceived had valuable intel that needed sharing. Keep your ideas coming as they too are worthy of note. 8-)
0 x

peppercorn

Re: TGIF ~ How To Get Clean Water ~

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Old topic...but the old ideas for it work fine.
Start with rain water right off your roof...its delivered free, and distilled....keep it cool, dark and undisturbed.....run it through a 5 micron filter and its cristal clear..
if for whatever reason you want to go further, Boil it, just bring it to a boil...boiling for 20 minutes doesn't make organisms deader, (dead is dead) just wastes fuel.
You wrote..."DISTILLATION boils and recondenses the water, but many chemicals vaporize and recondense in concentration in the output water"

That's a blanket statement, that's not accurate. Distillation works, works well to separate chemicals if you know what you are doing. Throw 5 gallons of water in a container, add 1 gallon of wood alcohol, and 1 gallon of mercury, and another gallon of ether....mix well and from that nasty mix I can separate all 4 things out and hand each back to you through distillation, and drink the water to prove its safe....its all about how you do it....

Lots of people in Alberta/Sask using rainwater....and no problems at all...Cheaper than drilling a well, and you get perfect water, its just that easy..as to all the new methods and their associated equipment...you can keep them...just wish I could get all my money back on the equipment, I could buy a new car then.

And regarding aeration...no way would I do that, You don't want to go mixing air into your water, oxygenated water helps organisms grow!! let the water sit..cool, dark, undisturbed, in fact.. I know one guy who I think told me he blasts a little argon into his cistern too keep the air away from the water surface (it might have been co2 cant remember for sure)
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm

I am really hoping people reading this topic, if they do not have something like a Berkey ,
will consider getting something like one, that suits their needs. I have a Big Berkey, but
also would like the tiny GO berkey size , plus a portable Katydin filter.

Since I am on a well, and have a generator, I will have time to pump off water before
running out of fuel for generator.
But will need water containers . I do have assorted containers building up but not
proper huge tall cylindars for large water storage. I had been looking at some but moved onto something
else because currently there was no where to put them. And, I did not like how the bottom drain
wastes water as it is alot higher than the bottom of the tank. Currently I have a pile of 4L size distilled
water jugs outside that are 3/4 full , left to freeze , and also some in freezer, so that I have access
to winter chilling ice , or can bring one inside to let defrost for flushing toilet .

I have a pool which can also be used for a water source for washing and laundry and filtered and or boiled.
If it is kept covered , the debris will not fall in and chlorine can still be added under the tarp . I never opened
my pool last summer and did this as a test. We checked Sept and it was crystal clear and we added more chlorine
and topped up the water and reclosed . It should be interesting what the water looks like come June this year.

Possibly some sort of manual pump could be rigged up to pump water from up under the tarp if needed without
having to lift up a corner and dip in with a pail. ???? Ideas ??? a Guzzler brand might work.

I also keep a huge amount of purchased bottled water in big jugs. So as they empty they could be filled
back with water.

I think collecting rain water has got to be added at some point in the mix for collecting.

I never added a manual pump to my well last year as intended, because it would mean it would be sitting
out on the front yard . Would like to have some sort of manual pump rigged up from inside the house
and add another huge blue water tank so that the water pressure would stay to do a few things and
then go down and repump the pressure back up.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:22 pm

Goldie.....Now that you mentioned Berkey, I do know one home using that for all their water, but again that's after its sat in tanks, kept cool and dark, and if I remember right they are just using the berkey, no other filter.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Debbie
Canada

Postby Debbie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Regarding clean water, I was able to get an Aleapure Pro water filtering system from the States. Is it possible to get this or the filters from our country? My husband and I are very impressed with both the appearance and water quality from this. As a bonus you can pack it easily to camp or bug out with it also.
0 x

Return to “Health”