• Advertisement

A Post not About Antibiotic or Sutures...

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

A Post not About Antibiotic or Sutures...

Postby helicopilot » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:59 pm

With a title like that, I'm not sure how many hits this will get. :(

You may have read about a new threat from... "Super Lices" associated with the arrival of the new school year (it's everywhere online, but here is one article http://www.cbsnews.com/news/super-lice- ... to-school/). This made me think about a survival situation where hygiene may be somewhat neglected out of necessity and with the possibility of overcrowding. That situation is very likely to become much more miserable if someone ends up with lices.

I know it's not as sexy as buying a surgical set from E-bay, but do you have a couple of lice combs (and shampoos) in your stock? It's a $4-5 investment that may be worth it's weight in gold if needed.
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Re: A Post not About Antibiotic or Sutures...

Postby PrepHer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:03 am

Good idea. Tea tree oil too. Plus it's good for any antibacterial application.
I have this black "tar" shampoo bar that I bought years ago from the health food store. We've used it once when my granddaughter found lice the day after a sleepover here.
Lice seems to be very prolific in the rest of the developing world - where there are lots of people. Obviously it doesn't seem too life threatening although I recognize that lice can carry fatal diseases.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:53 am

PrepHer, true enough, lice are not life threatening conditions. But then again, neither are the conditions for which 80% of Canadians go to the ER.
0 x

OldTimeGardener

Postby OldTimeGardener » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:19 am

Gee thanks HP now you got me scratching just thinkin about them. lol

Don't forget everything needs to be washed as well.

Gdaughter came for visit a few yrs back....her mom forgot to tell me she may have them. :roll:
I didn't have a clue as mine never had them, eons ago. Went to doc cause so itchy and he says yup you got 'em and to wash everything that was possible to do.

A nurse I talk to later says, lucky you wish my hair was that clean...I thought what is she talking about?
She says lice go for clean hair/scalp........ :o

OTG
0 x
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.

Screedcrete

Postby Screedcrete » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:44 am

Tea tree is a good option for sure but lets not forget your good ole coconut oil. Its a sunblock, bug deterent, skin moisturizer, cooking prep and lots more,.... :D
0 x
Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)

Zana
Canada

Postby Zana » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:03 am

A friend of mine has four kids with very full heads of hair and she would put a tablespoon or two in their shampoo and shake it well each use. There is also a cream rinse that helps loosens the "glue" that holds the nits in the hair even after the shampoo.
In Edmonton they have been finding homeless people with body lice. Not usual in our climate. They showered the people well and put polysporin on the bites and put them in clean clothes. As we go forward with global warming this could become more of a problem.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:30 am

Ohhhhh, don't kid yourself! They exsist here! When I worked as a CO we use to delouce all prisoners when they were admitted in Calgary. Ya, all this talk has got me crawling. Tea tree oil is my go to and works wonders. All my animal get apple cider vinager regularily to keep them clean.(different parasite but maybe a helpful fact)
0 x

Return to “Health”