• Advertisement

Meniscus healing

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
Sylvie2674
Canada

Meniscus healing

Postby Sylvie2674 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:55 am

I tore the meniscus in my knee a month ago.
I have been to the doctors and physical therapy.
Short of having surgery and being on opioids there is not much that can be done.
Now in a SHTF situation I am wondering if something natural can be done?
Any suggestions? I am getting really bored of not being able to be active, and swimming is not covering it. :cry:
0 x
I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

rorschach
Canada

Re: Meniscus healing

Postby rorschach » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:13 am

Surgery doesn't have much of a role unless you have a "bucket handle" tear or there is a loose body obstructing your range of motion (i.e. locked / blocked knee). They used to go in and "clean up the loose cartilage." Most studies have shown (since the early 2000's) that this causes NO long-term benefit and that the resultant stiffness and prolonged post-op recovery are really not worthwhile.

Some people get a bit of relief with glucosamine chondroitin ... meta-analyses from groups like Cochrane failed to find a statistically significant benefit, but these tend to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" such that if say, 1/3 people had a slight benefit it would be "washed out" when averaged over the other non-responders. Other options such as corticosteroid injections or hyaluronic acid injections are more often used for osteoarthritis than cartilaginous damage, but could probably be used as a "Hail Mary" option. Finally, Physiatrists might provide options such as prolotherapy (if you believe in that).

If by natural you mean "roots you can chew on," or "teas you can make," my training and belief system does not really fit that model.

Opioids are not a good option...

Either way, good luck.
0 x
- Rorschach -

farmgal
Canada

Re: Meniscus healing

Postby farmgal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:17 am

got nothing in the short term but for help in regards to longer term, I got kicked by the cow and weakened my knee, I find regular use of this training to be very helpful

http://www.bodyinsight.com/strong-knees-dvd.html
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Health”