• Advertisement

Benefits of wood ash.

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Benefits of wood ash.

Postby helicopilot » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:54 am

Never heard of this. Extent of my knowledge for the use of ashes is for GI problems : "black if you're slack, white if you're tight." Do you have any details?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:39 am

I have made wood ash lye, its very tricky as its very difficult to test strength,if doing it, consider super fatting and very good idea to do zap tests before using it on yourself. I make soap, and you are not using any ash in the soap making, you need a liquid, hard or combo hard and soft fats and lye to make soap..

I am aware that clean light ash , mixed with sand ideally can be used to deal with lice in any fowl that will dirt bath, ash mixed with fat can be used in different ways almost like a salve but others are better choices healing wise and herbal wise.

however using ash to help prevent bugs from coming in is a great idea, mixed into bedding, dusted in corners or even into walls.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 pm

I just put away a 5 gallon bucket of hardwood ash yesterday.
Of course, I left it in the middle of the yard just in case, even though it was in the metal ash can for about a month.
The object was to make lye, but as Farmgal mentions (and I always trust what she has to say) strength is tough to measure.
Be aware...this stuff can get pretty potent and is highly caustic...not caustic like concrete mix that causes a slight rash and irritation...I mean it can get down right dangerous to handle.
Heating with wood, I produce a good amount of hardwood ash every year...so I figured I would save a bucket of it and try it out.
I always test out my projects on a small scale until I learn enough...no book or website can replace hands on experience.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Denob, if you are going to start playing with wood ash to make lye, start with small amounts and use the cleanest, fluffy white ash you can get, use the rougher for the garden and the charred bits for bio-char in the garden.

Its a interesting project to work on for sure
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:17 pm

I heat with wood too and just spread my ash on some parts of the garden.......
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 am

Used it during ice storm of 98. And other times. Spread around parking, paths and entrance hill. Immediate traction and draws sun/heat to the ice
0 x

Return to “Health”