• Advertisement

Herbal medicine and herb list book?

Discussions about Dental, Medical, Fitness and Mental Health
Sylvie2674
Canada

Herbal medicine and herb list book?

Postby Sylvie2674 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:28 am

So I have been scouring this site trying to find a good book or website I can print out about herbal/natural medicines and their uses.
It would be good to have with my supply binder so that God forbid shtf and we need to go back to the forest for this.
Unfortunately I couldn't find anything extremely useful... Don't get me wrong I have been adding to my binder off this site weekly.
But a full book/list would be really useful.
Anyone have any idea, so I don't order 15 useless books from online?
0 x
I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

Learner
Canada

Re: Herbal medicine and herb list book?

Postby Learner » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:31 am

There is a list here somewhere, can't find it at the moment tho. You could try ordering books through the library and if you find ones that are useful, then purchase them. That's what I do, so that I get what I want.

A couple of books you might find useful are Edible and Medicinal Plants of Canada and The Boreal Herbal.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:00 am

There was discussion on the topic. The concern I voiced and for which I haven't received an answer, is that I'm seeking a book that has a modicum of scientific background. Admittedly, I probably haven't read enough of such books, but my experience is that most of them seem more based on cultural, religious or otherwise nebulous evidences. The case of the poor toddler that died from meningitis comes to mind. The parent's die-hard belief of natural/naturopathic cures led to the kids death.

I know a lot of "modern" medication have straight roots (pun intended) from natural or herbal medicines. I wish I could find a book that link these medicines and how they can be emulated to the best extent possible. The example I used is Aspirin that was derived from bark. I would love a book that would state : The effect of a 325mg Aspirin can be replicated by crushing xxx dried bark to obtain xxx Tbs of powder. Mix the powder in xxx ml of liquid and drink every 4-6 hours as needed for relief of pain and/or fever.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:40 pm

I can find time in the next few days to write out a few of my favorites but in truth, the two listed are on shelf as well. I personally use herbal meds until I don't..

I make healing salves, an more and I know they work, I have seen them work for myself, for my friends that count on getting them from me.. having said that.. I am a firm believer in use the doctors when you need to use them..

As for Helicopliot, what you are asking for can not be done.. I wish it could be.. but not possible.. without formal testing, without controls in place, there is no way to ever take a wild plant and do the formula that you asked for..

The amount of X, y or z changes from plant to plant, from time in the season and from year to year.. Weather, cool, heat, dry competing pressure can all change results, how its collected, when its collected, how its handled and how its processed will have effects on what percents can be moved into a useable form..

The best you can do is work with it, and aim for balanced results an then you use it and see what you get!
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:25 pm

There is a lot of phony information out there on herbs, natural remedies, etc. Its unfortunate but the its been taken over by pseudo science, saavy marketing, etc. A simple google search will show a Naturopath using apples to cure cancer, ancient chinese medicines curing epilepsy, etc.....All of it garbage.

However, the best reference I can find is "The Physicians Desk Reference For Nonprescription Drugs, Daily Supplements, and Herbs." Unfortunately it is lacking in the application of walking out the door into the bush and noting "Weeping Willow trees contain an analgesic" etc. That being said it contains some extremely useful information. A solid basis in Biology helps in reading and referencing the book.

I remember the discussion with Helicopter pilot and his query into a good and concise book on remedies directly from the wilderness. I too would love a reference like this...unfortunately anything out there I could find ends up full of some truthful info....and then a lot of bogus unproven stuff that "big pharma doesnt want you to know about." There are legitimate and useful plants, etc. in the wild. Heck half of pharmaceuticals still originate from the wild....but that concise manual that we all want...still looking....
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:53 am

I am reading a book right now called "Prepper's Natural Medicine" by Cat Ellis. It has recipes and pretty thorough instructions. It sounds legit from what I have read so far although I would not know the standard against which to judge and have not yet tried any of the recipes..the best info is from those who have..

I am reading Joe and Amy Alton's Survival Medicine Handbook, and the suggested references include these two, which I will be checking out from the library & buying if they are any use:
Natural Health Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine by Andrew Chevallier
Prescription for Herbal Healing by Phyllis Balch
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:10 pm

So I took both of the above books out of the library. I can't speak for either regarding effectiveness, as I have not yet tried any of the recipes. The Balch book is ok, VERY thorough, although it seems to focus more on traditional chinese medicine and things you buy commercially (i.e. health food store), rather than something you would make yourself from your garden or from foraging. Also, she lists 20+ cancers with herbal remedies. That makes me skeptical - I believe that herbs can boost immune system and health generally, and deal with side effects from conventional treatment, but I think it's somewhat irresponsible to suggest totally replacing the latter when it's available (ask Steve Jobs how well this worked??..) The Chevallier book is not as in-depth per plant, but more geared to growing and processing your own, and has photos of what the plants look like. There are instructions at the end for how to make your own tinctures, poultices, etc. I am planning to buy this book used, to have in my library. I would suggest you figure out what ailments you'd like to address (or which ones you are likely to come across in your family/age range, etc) and research more, try out a few and talk to folks like Farmgal, who actually makes and uses herbal remedies.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:05 pm

I've got a book that is a type of encyclopedia on herbal remedies. With scientific explanation as to how/why or which plant works best for what ails you. I'll add it to this when I get home as its in my library. I make canning jars full of tinctures that fill my storage shelf -they were made using our own brew and about forty different plants. Some of the plants used in these tinctures I grow in my garden, some ordered on line and others grown wild here.

Holy man-just found this and realized I did not add the book info! Tomorrow morning I'll go dig it up and add! Sorry folks!
0 x

Return to “Health”