• Advertisement

Bugging in, in an apartment

Discussions about Food Storage
Wayne
Canada

Re: Bugging in, in an apartment

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks Clarence. I agree, the first (and most important) thing to do is the assessment. Gain intel and make a plan. As circumstances may change, continual reassessment and subsequent action is also required.

As I live where I do, -40 degree temperatures is not something that I routinely have to face. In fact in Canada the average temperature at any location is much warmer than that. In any regard, it is a possibility and any hostile weather must be taken into account in your assessment.

Personally, unless threatened by a forest fire or dwelling damage I'd stay where I am (detached home on a well/septic in a rural environment). Bugging-out is something that's dictated to me by circumstance and not one that I would likely elect.

If we like to think of ourselves as prepared, we should possess the necessary training, equipment and fitness to undertake whatever plan we make. For some this will be surviving for a time and succumbing to the reality of their choices. Others may be better trained and prepared, but there's no guarantee as to the outcome.

I've taught wilderness survival in a mountain environment, the arctic, jungle, desert, a wooded environment, urban and the ocean. If you're not prepared, you're worm food. During my military survival instructor program, I was dropped off by helicopter with 20 feet of snare-wire and a knife and picked-up 3 weeks later. Without the equipment I had, I wouldn't have survived. If you have the kit and know how to use it, you can survive in almost any environment. The moral of the story is prepare yourself. Get the training and the gear you need.

One major factor that can spoil the trained equipped person's chance of survival is other people. This is either through competition for resources, or through direct confrontation. Your plan must consider this factor.

Some may elect to side with a group. This may improve security, but it also increases the demand on the amount of resources required to sustain the Group. Chances are that you may be dealing with non-military individuals who lack discipline. In such an environment, social problems are rampant. Inexperienced people confronted with a new and life threatening situation often do not act rationally. Often making bad decisions that will affect them and the Group in a negative manner.

Others will elect to go the family only, or solo route. This would be my preference. I don't want to be in an unorganized group of strangers in a survival situation. Whatever your choice you will have to live (or die) with that choice.

The power in N.S. has been disrupted over the past two days. The temperature today is -12. I'm not suggesting that people who live in an apartment grab a jacket and start walking to the bush unprepared. I do however suggest that if the power doesn't come back on (ever) that many who stay put will die from lack of water. They should be prepared to leave or be prepared to fight over limited resources.
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Good day, we share some common ground and thoughts. I try and write what I do for average person getting into or even those who believe they are well prepared. I am not a group type either and have survived some pretty hairy man made or natural type events so know all about my fellow man and Ak47 put in ones face. Sounds like you may have done a sere type event.

I. mentioned the hike in cold weather to make people understand that unless they are in shape and properly kitted out for a walk to safety, they are likely better off staying put.
No sense in trying to do th impossible.

Big thing is situational awareness and being able to read or get a feel for what may be coming down and then acting upon it. If one smells a situation approaching, it’s the time to pull the trigger on your plan. It may be a false alarm and one needs to not feel embarrassed by it.
I am enjoying this group and the back and forth ideas and hope to use my experience in helping people combine intel, security systems, emergency preparedness, some light trade craft, Bush, urban, comms, skill sets etc

All the best. Jim
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:06 pm

PS, bugging out is also my very last resort. Many get excited about the thrill of being some pioneer but few know what awaits them after the first 48 hours. Not too many can take a life without second thoughts either, so I hope they don’t run into a few bad apples Wishing to take their lunch. It won’t be a camping trip in a provincial park experience. Cheers
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Clarence wrote:Good day, we share some common ground and thoughts. I try and write what I do for average person getting into or even those who believe they are well prepared. I am not a group type either and have survived some pretty hairy man made or natural type events so know all about my fellow man and Ak47 put in ones face. Sounds like you may have done a sere type event.

I. mentioned the hike in cold weather to make people understand that unless they are in shape and properly kitted out for a walk to safety, they are likely better off staying put.
No sense in trying to do th impossible.

Big thing is situational awareness and being able to read or get a feel for what may be coming down and then acting upon it. If one smells a situation approaching, it’s the time to pull the trigger on your plan. It may be a false alarm and one needs to not feel embarrassed by it.
I am enjoying this group and the back and forth ideas and hope to use my experience in helping people combine intel, security systems, emergency preparedness, some light trade craft, Bush, urban, comms, skill sets etc

All the best. Jim

In response to your comment, I did SERE "C" in 1974 in the U.S. (class 75-18). This was before the restrictions were in-place. The Vietnam war was still underway, so waterboarding and physical beating was still part of the program. It certainly opened my eyes. At the time, I was a part-time student studying law at UofT, a reserve SAR pilot with 400 Squadron at Downsview and a rookie OPP officer stationed at Port Credit detachment.

When I was OPP TRU I had to look after the security of the Pope, the Queen and various members of the Royal family during their visits to Ontario over the years. My initial tactical training was administered by LA SWAT, the FBI and the S.A.S. My sniper training by the Canadian Forces Bisley Team and Counter-Sniper by the U.S. Secret Service (Rowley Training Center). I've had the benefit of some of the best instruction anyone could receive and I consider myself very fortunate. Now that I'm 65 and past my prime, I can do little other that try to pass on what I've learned to those who will listen.

Kind regards,

Wayne
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41 am

Wayne, quite the pedigree! Hat's off to you and thank you for your service in so many ways. Always enjoy reading your posts.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks helicopilot. I was just trying to clarify my position, I'd hate to think that people would make a bad choice based on incomplete information. I've had the advantage of some unique training and have had the necessity to apply it. If this can be of some benefit to someone else, I 'd like to do pass it on.

As I've said before, I'm a rookie Prepper. I know nothing about growing crops or raising livestock, canning, and so many other aspects. I've got a lot to learn. I also enjoy your posts and welcome your input.
1 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:35 am

Good folks in here. My professional background was construction in James bay, Algeria, so understand working and living in cold, heat and reading people and keeping my body parts whole. Then in security. Surveillance, counter surveillance, anti terrorism, threat risk assessments, contracts on parliamentary precinct, two internationally published reports... worked with some great folks keeping nation secure and on some very interesting projects of a “discrete”nature. Semi retired and also wishing to pass on info.

Probably The biggest thing that I see impacting people etc and that I hope I can help with are finding the wholes in a plan and finding solutions that are real world. People and institutions are heavy on the concept of a guard in the front lobby, but all the other doors being wide open! See the gaps all the time in my line of work.

Need to be real world, stay grounded and try and accommodate as many scenarios as possible with resources available. Yes and thanks as well helicopilot for your insights.
Cheers.
0 x

Return to “Food Storage”