• Advertisement

Cooked MRE’s

Discussions about Food Storage
Dusty
Canada

Cooked MRE’s

Postby Dusty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:18 pm

Good day everyone, a question for you.

I get alot of free MRE bits and pieces, many of which are meals and secondaries. These are mostly meals that were cooked but noone wanted to eat them, however they are still sealed.

Do these meals and secondaries still have a shelf life, or do they start to deteriorate after cooking.

Thanks,
-Dusty
Last edited by Dusty on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Cooked MRE’s

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 pm

What an interesting question. Can you give an example of what the MRE is, its composition, etc?

Once you create the chemical reaction which heats and cooks the food (assuming its that type) you've changed the composition of the meal. Previously it was treated to store in an specific state. Once you've started a reaction and changed the food's composition...my guess without any specific info is that it's no longer in its long term prepared state. You might be out of luck. You've broken down proteins, and perhaps combined other substances such as salt, etc. that would have been used for shelf life....

Until you know for sure, I'd err on the side of safety and not plan on keeping them to long. really interesting question...hoping someone has something to add.
1 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Wayne
Canada

Re: Cooked MRE’s

Postby Wayne » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:23 pm

Even fresh MRE's are not the most nutritious choice. Reheated even worse... :-(

MRE Typical Storage Temperature Shelf Life
120° F (49°C) 1 month
110° F (43°C) 5 months
100° F (37°C) 22 months
90° F (32°C) 55 months
80° F (27°C) 76 months
70° F (21°C) 100 months
60° F (15°C) 130 months +

From the aforementioned chart, you can see that the shelf life of an MRE is dependant on a time/temperature equation. Once an MRE is cooked (high temperature) it's ability to 'stay safe' deteriorates quickly.

As you may not be aware when each MRE was cooked, it would be reasonable to think that this is in question. Because of this, I would consider this unsafe to eat. It's bad enough getting food poisoning in an environment with the benefits of modern medicine, let alone when the lights go out...

In a survival situation, each person must change gears and be more cautious. A sprained ankle can be life threatening. 'Don't take unnecessary chances' should be a theme to live by. I'd be storing the MRE's in the nearest garbage bin...
1 x

Return to “Food Storage”