• Advertisement

Ask a leader food storage questions here

Discussions about Food Storage
MrsPrepwPets

Re: Ask a leader food storage questions here

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Knuckle wrote:They mention that the major ingredient is over 90% fish oil....

well, if that's true, maybe we can cook with it too....yes?(it's comments like these that make others want to cook instead of me having to) 8-)
Yes. Yes it would.

I would worry about all the other gunk in there, for anybody not catching the laughter.

Knuckle wrote:One thought that comes to mind is that if flour is good for long term storage, and noodles such as macaroni are mostly flour, why not stock up on large quantities of macaroni and therefore less flour? It's already prepared for long term storage and should keep even longer now, yes? I already have lots of macaroni and I am one who tries for every shortcut I can find. I like eating a lot more than cooking or cleaning, so any answer has against this line of thought has got to penetrate some heavy barriers to have me change now... :?

Noodles of almost any kind will actually keep longer than flour. I know flour is in it, I don't know why it makes a difference, it does, just like whole wheat berries store longer than flour does.
Flour typically has a 10-15 year shelf life when in Mylar or sealed cans, and .
Noodles will go out 20-25 years according to some, 30+ according to others.

I have 3-8 year old egg noodles and spaghetti in heavy-duty cellophane (love the dollar store) that were only sealed in a bucket, no Mylar, no O2 absorbers, and they're taking about 5 minutes longer than "new" to cook, but are cooking up fine.

The LDS order sheet (not a member) has some of their tested and anticipated shelf life info. http://providentliving.org/bc/content/p ... f?lang=eng
Augason Farms (not affiliated) also has nice fact sheets with their stuff that I use as a confirmation and ROT when I can't find a date on something.
http://www.augasonfarms.com/ You have to go in search, find it, scroll down, and open the pdf.
Don't use it for calories or other nutrition for companies, because ingredients vary by company.
Also, double check before clicking buy, because there are places like MRE Depot that sell canned and bucket foods, but theirs only last 5-15 years in some/many cases, and some of the just-add-water pouches out there are still 7-15 years instead of 15-25.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:32 am

I just know'd you'd be the one to put me straight Mrs Prep :D

Thanks for the backing of my lazy ways as I wasn't quite ready to change just yet! :lol: (and I knew the WD40 thought would tweek a response :oops: )

Having a variety to me is buying spaghetti, macaroni and lasagne noodles. I know that if I ever get around to growing a garden here, I'll likely still get more protein from it then you as I'b be shooting all the critters eating it. Seems easier to just invest in salt licks and just put my couch near the door so I don't have to get up as often...

reminder:(add salt licks to shopping list)
0 x

martha

canning connundrum

Postby martha » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm doing some water bath canning because I don't yet have a pressure canner. Instructions say to fill the jars to 1/4 inch below top. My question is: in the event of freezing, that doesn't leave enough expansion room, so the jar will definitely crack. Although, even if I left more room for expansion, maybe the expansion would also go sideways and the jar would still crack if it froze. Any thoughts on that?
0 x

OddDuck

Re: canning connundrum

Postby OddDuck » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 am

martha wrote:I'm doing some water bath canning because I don't yet have a pressure canner. Instructions say to fill the jars to 1/4 inch below top. My question is: in the event of freezing, that doesn't leave enough expansion room, so the jar will definitely crack. Although, even if I left more room for expansion, maybe the expansion would also go sideways and the jar would still crack if it froze. Any thoughts on that?

Fill your jars up according to the instructions. If your jars freeze, you have experienced a SHTF event of some sort. As you have surmised, frozen jars are bad news and the only way around it is not to let them freeze. Even if the jars survive, the food is going to really drop in quality depending upon whats in those jars. Thats why many root cellars were dug under the house in days gone by. Wood fires went out, but the jars were below the frost line and the house above gave additional protection. I personally have insulated the basement ceiling as well as the walls for just that reason.
0 x

martha

Postby martha » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:24 pm

A belated thankyou, OddDuck, for your reply. I think this possibility of freezing is one of the reasons I favor freeze dried food as my most secure emerg plan. Also the aspect that it is lightweight and way more portable. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop canning though.
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:07 pm

martha wrote:... I favor freeze dried food as my most secure emerg plan. Also the aspect that it is lightweight and way more portable.

Do you have a dehydrating option, even a "low" setting on the oven or a dry enough, dust-free enough climate that you can layer on/between discarded window screen or between HVAC filters (a la Alton Brown jerky style), with or without a fan running over those last two?

I dehydrate to a "plastic" level for long term storage mostly, but I also do some to the "chewy"/"leather" level for snacks for fruits and keep them in the freezer. If we needed to, we could move through them in the weeks they'd last without power.

It's even more compact that FD, although it takes a little more liquid to rehydrate and never comes back quite as much.
:)
-P
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 pm

I can't say we rely on the freezers for much food basic storage as even a calf moose takes up alot of room and the wife's fish(which she freezes in water) hogs some too. I dehydrate anything that can be just so the wife doesn't want to buy a 3rd freezer. :roll: I find the freezer's purpose is often a sort of holding cell until I've made the frozen goods a warm bed on the dehydrater. :D
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:31 pm

I just purchased a bottle of coconut oil to try.......DH was adamant that he wouldn't like it, but in actual fact, after using it twice, he couldn't tell the difference between coconut oil and lard or bacon fat. My question is, should coconut oil be kept in the fridge, or is it ok on the counter. There are no storage instructions on the bottle, other than a best before date. Would be nice if it were that shelf stable that it can be left out. Thanks
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:25 am

kootenay kid wrote: My question is, should coconut oil be kept in the fridge, or is it ok on the counter. There are no storage instructions on the bottle, other than a best before date. Would be nice if it were that shelf stable that it can be left out. Thanks

It not only doesn't need to go in the fridge, if it goes in the fridge, it will turn into a block somewhere between clay and frozen butter and a brick, depending on how cold it's kept.
It doesn't do any harm if it does harden (if it separates from changing states too fast, it can just all be allowed to melt and shaken/stirred to redistribute, all fine) but it can be harder to work with when you want specific amounts.

Coconut oil is a fantastic choice, and has a ton of uses outside the kitchen:
http://thecoconutmama.com/2014/03/9-rea ... -bathroom/
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/nat ... oconut-oil

Plus: insect bite relief and once it finally goes rancid, it can be used for homemade lamps just like olive oil.
:)
-P
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for the great advice; my small bottle is on the counter right now, and will stay there, partly because it is so handy right there by the stove. I think things brown nicer in coconut oil than bacon fat, although the aroma of things cooked in bacon fat is just sooooo inviting.
0 x

Return to “Food Storage”