• Advertisement

What's Involved to Store Rice in a Bucket?

Discussions about Food Storage
MrsPrepwPets

Re: What's Involved to Store Rice in a Bucket?

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 am

Goldie wrote:Today I was told that we should not use mason jars or food saver for storing and only
use mylar, even though I kept saying that their usage was for storage 2 - 2.5 years.
I think mason jars are wonderful . I have plenty in all sizes. They are reusable.
Stick your thumb to your nose and wag your fingers at them. You know somebody who has stored dry beans and grains, dehydrated fruit, & dehydrated veggies in them for 3-8 years, and has been eating bits and pieces of those 3-8 y/o produce for 5 years and lived to tell about it.
I used to split and dry bait fish mummichugs, cheap swai, and good-fish fish skins for my dearly departed mini-tiger, and finally fed them to my dogs over a few month about 5 years after that cat died. They were fine.

You've got the ticket - keep them dark. They won't last as long as tins or mylar, but they aren't restricted to next-season turnaround, either.
-P
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:10 am

I also look for foods I buy at the grocery store that actually come in mason jars .
Such as Pasta sauces, then I get to keep another mason jar afterwards !

:lol:
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:44 pm

While there are oodles of videos on youtube on using mylar, this video was very interesting method
of using your vacuum sealer on very wide bags, with the vacuum sealer removing alot of the air from
that mylar bag. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAM3ha44C74
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 am

I use color coded gamma lids in my 6gal buckets as well as a Mylar bag. My colors are red for all beans, black for flour and oatmeal and white for sugar, salt and powdered milk. Green is for my seeds, orange for the pasta's and yellow for powdered eggs and cheese. Each bucket is labeled with the contents and a piece of tape above the item name has the date it was packed. My Mylar bags are zip lock types and I use oxygen eaters in each bag. Some of my buckets are 5 years sealed and I've checked one or two-just to see! Everything seems to be working. I'd love to be able to bucket raisins, but sadly...I've heard they don't store well. I recently bought goats and chickens to raise, so I may open one or two of the milk and eggs buckets and use those up. I rotate my canned goods but typically not my buckets. By the way..don't use oxygen eaters in your sugar, goes hard as rock! I've opened my sugar after 4 years without them and it's fine so far!
0 x

valleygal
Canada

Postby valleygal » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:25 pm

1. Brown rice only keeps for a few months unless kept very cool due to oils in it.
2. White rice gets better with age.
3. If you buy rice, try some first before buying more. I actually ate rice one time that was horrible, and I am not fussy.
4. We ate some rice and ground some wheat that had been stored for Y2K in just plastic pails recently and given to us by neighbours moving away. Yummm
5. Red lentils keep a long time without getting hard like other beans and are very high in protein.
6. Spices will be more important than you think. My husband can cook up a dish with whole wheat flat bread, rice and lentils with maybe a jar or 2 from my canned veggies and me and any of our friends are in heaven. Its the spices.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:41 pm

I always wonder about this mylar concept as folks who require them are then saving for many, many years down the road. I don't think that this is as logical a choice as many seem to consider it is. Old methods often keep foods to 5 years and we should be eating that which is at most 2 years old anyways. Does not even the Bible mention that grain was simply stored away for 7 years of famine? And yet no mention of mylar... With the food requirements to have a balanced diet, skills acquired today should reflect in that which is stored for the duration anyways. This means start eating that which you stored last year (or the year before) and with knowledge learned from tasting and using daily, your next stores will then be even better choices for next year. Thus all these items are up to date and a healthy balance to countering excessive paranoia is achieved too.

If proven methods such as canning and dehydrating were indeed faulty procedures, mankind already would have perished long ago. Mylar has become this excuse for folks to become excessive in such as food storage too. Many are stocking up as a means to counter other insecurities or doubts they have about today's economy and this have become a stop gap. Practicality should tell you when you have enough and focus on other areas instead, yet folks continue stocking as if this will somehow fix their other issues too.

Set limitations to say when you have enough. I'm sure that 1 1/2 - 2 years is plenty as you should have gardening and other fallbacks in play by then. If your fears are from nuclear fallout and such, realize that that world wouldn't be to pleasant a one to be worried about living in anyways....so relax and move on! Copy those ancestors who knew what they were doing instead. Start that garden out back as that too will sustain you far better than a bunch of 10 year old mylar stored foods will anyways.
Last edited by Knuckle on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Knuckle wrote:I always wonder about this mylar concept as folks who require them are then saving for many, many years down the road. I don't think that this is as logical a choice as many seem to consider it is. Old methods often keep foods to 5 years and we should be eating that which is at most 2 years old anyways. Does not even the Bible mention that grain was simply stored away for 7 years of famine? And yet no mention of mylar...

What? you have a problem with biaxially orientated polyethylene terephthalate polyester film wraped around your food?, and it wasnt in the bible as it was just assumed you would use this.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

valleygal
Canada

Postby valleygal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 am

Knuckle- I mostly store rice, wheat and red lentils. All of which we eat regularly and not feasible for me to grow (well, maybe some wheat). Sugar and salt (for preserving) rounds out my must haves. I don't store for 10 years but I use what I store and if I could get to 3 years of my basics, I would be happy. I garden (and I can a lot) and I agree it is necessary, but I prefer to have more than my garden since these things are cheap to buy and easy to store.
0 x

DJrhibra

Whats Involved to Store Rice in a Bucket

Postby DJrhibra » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 am

We get rice 25 pounds at a time and store it in a 5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid.
We dont use dry ice or any other special precaution and dont seem to have any trouble.

This stuff isnt set aside for extra long term storage though, Its just our normal stock.
We dont eat much rice however, our current stock is surely at least five years old.
0 x
[url=http://xn--80ac1abr.xn--p1ai/prikolnye-kartinki-besplatno]прикольные картинки, бесплатно ;)[/url]

Return to “Food Storage”