• Advertisement

TGIF ~ Food Stores Program ~ (revised)

Discussions about Food Storage
Knuckle

TGIF ~ Food Stores Program ~ (revised)

Postby Knuckle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:14 pm

I'd often wondered why many hadn't posted results from using my program. I finally decided that it is likely due to "information overload" when they start out. If this fact is true, I figured I should finally write a tutor file to help others better understand how to start using the program. Seems in starting down this path, I had to run some examples instead of just using my own inventory while testing.

In doing so. I eventually discovered program flaws along the way. When working with small amounts, I could better see the flaws and there were enough of them that I eventually changed how the information was formulated regarding nutrient data for a balanced diet. The previous version is inaccurate, so I suggest you start over with this new version instead. I won't guarantee it as flawless, but it far closer to to being perfect. Again, I left the coding open so others can see how the data is formulated and maybe discover if there any other flaws elsewhere. I did indeed leave some issues as the coding to refine things further becomes far more complex and the program then becomes far larger in size.

Here is the latest version
Attachments
FoodStores23Mar15.xlsx
latest Food Stores Program
(247.24 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
0 x

peppercorn

Re: TGIF ~ Food Stores Program ~ (revised)

Postby peppercorn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:57 pm

That looks like a lot of work to put together. Been cycling through the different features and its pretty comprehensive. I am more of a figure it out on the fly guy myself, but if you have a large family, with lots to track, this may help. I would charge for it though..
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks, this sounds really useful. I've not had a chance to try it yet, as I am still on work overload.

Again thanks for putting all this time and effort into this .
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:57 am

Hey all! I've noticed that I have a well overdue message from Knuckle to post on his behalf. I understand he's on a bit of a hiatus from IPN and he kindly asked me to post this for him; something to cap off the thread on his food stores program. It was sent to me as a PDF and looked so much better than me just cutting/pasting here, so please accept my apologies for the poor formatting. I'll admit that I haven't been the most diligent for keeping up with the program myself (I'll use the excuse of an uncooperative spouse...) but there is definitely good info in the text below.

Knuckle's Food Stores Program
My intentions when I writing this program was to eliminate all the guesswork as to how long one's food supplies could truly last. Often we humans presume that such things as one's food stores will go alot further than it actually does once put to the test. This is because we often forget to include a variety of factors when doing our initial calculations. For those finally try using this software, might even appreciate that they resolved some potential issues now and not later. So as to maybe to drive this point home a bit better, I'll mention a few reasons you might want to use this program even now.

• How many people do you think you can presently feed and for how long? Are you sure?
• What happens if another family member suddenly arrives? Can you honestly turn them away?
• Another mouth to feed... Now how long can your present supplies last?
• How do you presently determine food intake of each person?
• How do you adjust for amount of energy/activity required per person daily?
• how do you presently factor in an unforeseen crisis such as theft, flood, etc., and reevaluate your options quickly?
These are just a few possibilities, but you might now get the point enough to see the usefulness of maybe using this program. Maybe I at least peaked your curiosity enough that you might now read to see what it can do for you. I'm aware that many have downloaded it, but I'm unaware if anyone has worked with it as yet. This has led me to conclude that it might see too confusing to others and thus they just set it aside.
So maybe it was time to create a help file to walk you thru the whole process.
What Systems will this Program Work On?
I wrote this in such a way that this same file can be viewed with many of your present tools such as cell phones, tablets, and computers, regardless if the operating system is made by Apple, Android, Linux or Windows.
Windows PC: It was initially written with Windows Excel, but can be opened with a free program such as Open Office http://www.pc-file.com/openofficeorg?ut ... 20download on your Windows PC.
Android: I have used Office Suite Pro to run this program and it works okay but with reduced graphics than the original version.
Apple OS: I'm sure there is software to run excel sheets from for Apple, but am unsure which ones are actually free when doing so.

I used the KISS theory when writing this program so that most folks could then keep working copies of it on every electronic device they have. (so while using it on your cellphone would indeed be irritating, but still doable). Seems it would be far easier to enter data while using your computer or tablet first, but still be able to reference it immediately if need be when your only packing your phone around.
Now others had mentioned that times might occur when such devices no longer function... so be it. At least this program could help you avoid some of the pitfalls along the way. I also assume many prepper's will likely prepare for such possibilities as the loss or failure or these comfort items. You should still have "as many tools" in your shed to get the job done and so this program is just one of many such tools.

Getting Started:
I am going to presume that you already have some food stores in your home. If you are a prepper in any aspect of the term, I'm also betting that you have somewhat of a system in place already. The reason that you are looking into using this program is likely to see how long your present supplies should last and if your choices will present a balanced diet over the long term.
1/ Click on the Dry Foods tab at the bottom of the program.
2/ Under packaged meals, Kraft Dinner is already entered. Here is the rest of the stats to add for this item.
Cup/ Serv = 1 Fat Gr =8 Salt=1320 Fiber Gr =4 Protein=28 Sugar =14 Calories=840
You have to read carefully when taking this data from the packaging. A box of Kraft Dinner present numbers that represents only 1/4 of the boxes whole contents. Since we will eat the whole contents, we must multiply these numbers given then by 4 to acquire the true values for the whole box.
If you have already combined smaller quantities for storing in bulk,(such as storing noodles into larger containers), simply weigh the container and figure out a formula by a given weight instead.

You need to start filling in all the data pertaining to each food item to gain accurate knowledge of your food supplies. By accurately entering all the item's contents, this program can then factor how long the supplies will last by counting calories and also show you how balanced a diet your present food selection is. I'll explain just how this works further ahead.

Now this same process for data entry can be used in many of the other areas too such as canned, cooking, etc. If the choices I'd left as examples don't fit your shopping habits, simply change each item to something else which does. Don't worry about filling in any quantities as yet. This information is added thru the inventory section.

Creating a Storage system:
You are going to have to create a means of being able to inventory items without having to do recounts every few days as you rotate you food stores. This is where many will find even their present system fails them, and they soon lose interest in keeping such things up to date. So this aspect isn't just a factor with my system, but one with every inventory system we have today. The more data you feed it, the more up to date it will be....

But don't give up before you even started. The secret here is find a happy balance. So don't expect your inventory is going to be super accurate at any specific time, if you are counting that which you consume on a daily basis. But if you instead use this to track food stores put aside, it provides accurate intel of what you have on hand and exactly where to find it. You won't have to keep updating the system and so you can relax on that point. Rotating your food stores is something you will eventually have to consider if you expect to do the long haul over many years, but can eventually come back to that aspect after you get the initial system in play. But to get there, you must create a reliable working system first. I'm sure I can at least show you how to get to this point for starters.

I started out writing this program with most inventory items sitting on shelves. this meant that I was trying to inventory all food items presently in my house. I soon realized that I wasn't going to feed this data in daily, and so saw the flaw in this line of thought quite quickly. I should then try to focus only on foods which are stock piled for emergency and have a longer shelf life.

When I read folks were using 5 gallon pails, we eventually bought a few and then pondered as to what should go in each. I'd fill one and before filling the 2nd, I'd discovered aspects that made me dump the contents and restart again. After going thru this process a few times, I realized I should maybe ponder on the subject for awhile first. Here's some of the considerations I came up with and therefore there is no one way to conclude which is better than another...it depends on specific criteria involving other given factors which can change over time. But here are some points to consider before you start.

Storage Hints:
I eventually designed this program around the concept of storing much of one's food supplies in bulk containers such as 5 gallon pails. My reasoning is that this method allows for:
1. easy relocation of food items
2. keeps supplies dry and safe from a variety of pests
3. allows for quick consistent inventory of their contents
The pitfall to storing items in such containers is that rotation of many food items becomes less successful as the "out of sight, out of mind" human habit tends to hamper this procedure somewhat. You might want to simply date the pails as a reminder to consider later.

Mixing Things Up!
There is also great advantage in placing a variety of items per pail. Try to alot contents to create complete meals if possible. This method allows for:
1. accessing complete meals with the opening of just 1 pail
2. easier tracking of inventory as you only then open 1 pail at a time
3. selling/bartering food easily without unbalancing your dietary needs
4. easy system for dividing of food supplies to multiple locations / caches

An example:
Item # Weight Calories Servings Cost
Basmati Rice - 1 5 Kg 17760 111 $16.00
Onion Soup Mix 4 16 320 113 $ 4.00
Sardines 10 530 1500 10 $20.00
Dehydrated Peas 1 120 400 3 $ 1.00
Heinz Brown Beans 5 15 2600 15 $ 7.50
Potato/Cheddar Soup 1 200 900 4 $ 2.00
Beef Soup 1 400 1500 8 $ 2.00
Quaker Oatmeal 5 650 650 5 $ 2.00
Banana Slices 1 275 270 5 $ 2.00
Granola bars 3 90 330 3 $ 1.00
Tea Bags 20 $ .25
Garbage bags 2
Roll of T/P 1
Totals 26,540

Now the eventual choices for this pail's contents has a few reasons behind it. While each will have their own contents and combinations, this is an example of how I do it and for these reasons:
1. Many of these contents can be supplemental to a regular supply of either meat or fish caught daily (as one would do in my area).
2. These same contents are worthy for a cache stash as freezing temperatures won't harm anything. ( expect some might disagree here but I've been eating old food stores left out year round at trappers shacks with no problems...been told acidic foods such as tomatoes and oranges are the no-no).
3. Since rice has the highest calories per volume overall, most everything else in the pail revolves around it as the main ingredient to all meals. Without a successful hunt, rice supplies the carbs, beans the protein, peas adds mostly color, onion soup mix mainly adds some flavour to your meal.
4. Sardines provides essential oils, minerals and vitamins along with other such items.
5. Oatmeal porridge and bananas for breakfast or snacks.
6. Tea goes along ways towards fluid replacement and just warming up.
7. Garbage bags are multi use things and not just for cleaning up (eg: water catchment, bed of leaves, etc.)

Considerations to this approach:
1. Bulk vs Logic - sometimes it may be easier to just fill some pails with 1 item only due space otherwise required for small quantity packaging
2. Variety of meals per pail such as breakfast, lunch and supper vs easier storage of one meal type such as breakfast
3. Contents containing a balanced diet instead with such as protein, carbs, and sugar fix for high energy requirements
4. Designing contents around the ability to supplement one's daily diet with local hunting or foraging
5. Designing some with contents which can survive freezing temperatures for such as food caches
6. Contents Shelf Life: Why store an item that will spoil early with other items that can last long term and thus risk contamination to other items?

A Bonus:
Now I guess that I can even include an Excel Tally Sheet for others to use now too as you must have something to read this program with anyways. This sheet works along what the above example showed and it will total the contents of each pail. You can then print it and put a copy away for later reference and place another copy inside the pail's screw on cap as I always do.

Adding Inventory: (Part 1)
Now let's just first focus mainly on basic food stores first.
• Click on the blue Inventory Tab at the bottom of the screen.
• At the top of your screen is the "Dry Foods" section and note the blue numbered rows from 1-10. I even started the naming process off by listing Pail 1 in location 1 and Pail 2 in location 2
• Yet in the row below marked "Packaged Meals", note there are numbers 1-20.
• While to your right under the "Cooking" section, note the top numbers continue 11-20
Now this may seem fairly limiting as you can only inventory up to 20 pails or 20 shelves. Not so! Scroll down to the Blue "Drinks" section and I listed 11-20 with different names to show that using a little creativity, you can stretch this program to suite your requirements if need be.

So let's enter some inventory we'll pretend is in Pail 1.
1. In the row titled Kraft dinner, enter 10 boxes for Pail 1 and 10 boxes for Pail 2
2. note that the total boxes shows 20 under the Totals column
3. If you click on the green "Dry Foods" tab(bottom of the screen), the Kraft Dinner "On Hand" column now shows that you have 20 boxes in your inventory.
4. Now click on "Requirements" tab instead. In the "Essential Dietary Requirements" chart, you can see how the addition of 20 boxes of KD affected the Packaged Meals section here too. The contents of this package were instead separated into different classes such as Meat refers to the protein aspect while Flour refers to the contents total weight for this specific section. The reasoning I did this here is that the packages main contents is noodles and this made from flour.
Now I broke up this inventory section as it will be easier to juggle inventory if you first understand how the program can help you with future purchases. And this can only be done after you first set some of the basic parameters. So read on!

The Requirements Section
Now while were here, I might as well explain that health institutions have already determined what a healthy diet requires to maintain ones perfect health. These 7 classifications (or food groups are shown at the top left corner of this section under the row titled "Essential Requirements" (in green).
So this program starts off showing I used their figures for essential requirements for an adult man for a year's term(in lbs). I then formulated it to show convert this in the following row to instead show these requirements in weeks (and in kg's instead as Canada now uses metric).
So by following Row 15(the numbers down the left side of your spreadsheet program)you can see the formula repeated for an adult male who is in good health. Now these same health institutions determined a adult female consumes 85% that of an adult male, while a teenage male consumes 140%. (These factors are indicated on the sheet in yellow)
So in the White Column, you are required to enter the number of individuals pertaining to each age group and sex. This information allows the program to determine the basic needs of the group for a given period of time. Yet this is just a start because what about considering other factors into this basic equation?

How about factoring physical conditions? Some men are bound to be healthier and will be able to do the work of 2 men. Others may simply be doing think work instead of physical work and thus require less calories. I needed to fine tune this program to each individual if I was going to accurately determine how far one's food stores could truly last!
In the Group Members section, you will see where you can enter the name of each member of your group. The values shown in this section are broken down to calories required each day. This allows individuals to better judge where their personal settings can be regarding calorie intake as many might already have an idea as to what their daily requirements are. To adjust these settings:

1. Use the suggested %(from above) just as a baseline, set the parameters to what that individual can comfortably exist upon. (Consider too that tough times are likely in place and overeating is now a thing of the past).
2. Select the energy output that this individual is likely to offer on a daily basis. Physical strength and endurance become a major factor in this setting as energy needs replacement too.
3. By entering these factors in the White Box's on top, data will appear in the row showing basic values for each of the food groups.
4. You can then copy this data directly into that persons row or fine tune these requirements to better suit them while using the suggested value just as a reference. I allowed for this tuning because some folks may have health issues to consider and this is where you might be able to adjust for such things too.
5. Now the final adjustment I provided for is in the White Box on the top of Group Members section. This value affects the % for all the group as a whole. This can be used to adjust for present conditions where the group as a whole may become inactive(and thus set lower), or a situation requiring increased physical effort such as winter hardship where calorie intake must therefore be increased for all. The normal setting here is at 2200 calories daily requirement for an adult male.

Water Usage
The last area to fill in needed criteria is to help determine water usage. Since mankind requires water even before food, it is something that should also be considered to some degree. Access to drinking water varies by your location, but Canada usually has an abundance in most regions. But with such as power loss, where would you then stand?
So lets assume that you were on strict water rations.
• How much would be required daily for your group?
• Where could you cut corners if need be?
• How much could you quickly capture before the water pressure dropped off?
• Want the answers? Then fill in the data required to start this process too.
I've included those items that might be considered. There is still another row and 2 Columns for some other unlisted considerations such as pet or farm animals. These are for you to tweek things for your own needs as required. The water numbers shown at the top of the page are presenting that which is needed for drinking purposes alone. Learning how to save on water consumption by using bath water to flush toilets is just a start. Critical times require critical measures. Having water filters at the ready is another option that I have factored for here too.

Reaching Your Food Store Goals
This part is simple. Enter in the # of weeks you'd like to have food supplies for. This number will present warnings across every page showing you what specific area(s) fall short of this intended goal. A quick way to see these changes is just to look to the bottom right of this sheet your on now. Any RED numbers are a warning your low in that category.
(For demonstration purposes, we'll set this number to 3 weeks for now).

It seems now is as good a time as any to suggest folks shouldn't not to set this at an unrealistic goal as they start. You might first want to start out with a goal of 3 weeks. This is a time of learning and understanding what you should and shouldn't stock up on. An example is loading up on such as pop isn't really logical, and the sooner you realize this, the better off you'll be. Things that you consume daily can stay still be so, but you'll soon realize that foods you select towards food stores should be more practical for reasons you'll discover along the way. By the time you figure how to balance your selection to meet the criteria set forth, you'll start seeing the whole picture and maybe even change your present eating habits somewhat along the way.

I heard earlier mention by others about my food choices here and how they would definitely not use some of my suggestions. That's good because I don't proclaim to have any skills in this regard, but you will eventually start to see a few reasons why I included these items in the program. Obviously you will determine your own final criteria, yet I'm still sure that my program will give you some added insights as to how you will eventually achieve a better balance as you enter data into it. So I hope you first try to meet this 3 week plan to see this point I'm first suggesting. When you have done so, then set your next goal to 3 months and the one after to 6 months.
I didn't make this program accept really large amounts for various reasons, but one is that we really only need to collect a years' worth of food stores for most situations. Aside from a nuclear disaster, you really only need supplies to last you long enough to grow a decent garden for permanent sustainability. Then once you have again restocked your food stores, you can finally relax!

So now scroll back towards the top of this sheet, you'll see Row 23 shows Suggested Weekly Totals(in yellow). These are totals formulated from what nutrition experts deem the minimum requirements for your group. Using their figures, look right and the "Actual Weeks" row will present how far the inventory would actually last compared to their "Suggested" formula. I included this just as a reference to see which method is more on track over time.
Your 2nd method of measure that we do use is the Dietary Requirements chart and this is what shows up in Red when you fail to meet it's specs. I have even programmed in a method to help you achieve these requirements, but you'll have to follow along some more to learn how it all works.
Now I'm betting that you think those low numbers will be easy to meet. If so, I will now remind you to read the scale of measure, as those number under Requirements section are in kilograms (kg)while most numbers in other sections are measured in grams (gr).
Seems Fruits & Veggies is the item most folks (other than present gardeners) will be lacking most. And I never included this item to post on all the other pages as it's constant reminder might actually frustrate many when starting out. The reason for this is it's a food we eat fresh daily as it doesn't keep long. To eventually meet criteria such as this, you'll have to work towards dehydrating large quantities and even take up gardening for those with long term goals.

Selecting Inventory: (Part 2)
Now that you have a goal in mind, let's see what we can do to meet it.
• Click Back on the Dry Foods tab
• Scroll down to the bottom of the sheet
You can see that the craft dinner represents 16,800 calories but still leaves me short in every category but salt intake so far. Not a good start is it? Let's say we bought them on sale and so it stays in the supplies anyways. The program shows we are presently trying to feed 2 adults for 3 weeks while also trying to figure out how to make those red numbers go down to zero while your shopping.

Now I'm not going to tell you what to buy. You'll try to be practical, but yet most want to shop for those foods they'd prefer to eat. Items left in the program might present some alternative choices as they could fill some gaps to meet a variety of prepper criteria such as these points I'll now mention:
1. many of these items are cheap and often found on sale
2. most items have a long shelf life
3. many can be added or supplemented to create a variety of meals during harsh times
4. most items can survive both heat and cold temperatures
5. many are edible without cooking if need be
6. many are fast and easy to prepare as most folks would be quite busy with daily chores
7. many items work in the hunter's Perpetual Stew where you continually just add more stuff to leftovers to avoid any waste
(I envision many of the women are aghast with this last suggestion. Yet it was a common method of our ancestors and likely would become one again during hard times)
Now fiber is another item I suspect many will find lacking in their prepper diet. You can scroll up and you'll soon note that flour contains the highest fiber content, so you could easily buy a bag of flour to reduce this number fast. Before you do, you must first consider what else is required to produce meals
with flour...at least a frying pan, a stove and fuel to feed it, oils so things don't stick, etc.. It is doable but often not practical in many instances. Yet such as noodles possess flour already cooked into another form and therefore require alot less preparation. Per kilogram(kg), they win in content, especially against rice. Also it keeps forever....
• start adding in more of your own food stores about now
• see if you can meet all the criteria set forth for the 3 weeks
• Did all the Red boxes disappear?
• Now how much of this can you fit into a single pail?

Don't worry about this aspect, but you might now see how certain pails could last far longer than other pails. It often depends on how much comfort food is placed alongside to make life more pleasant. I know that my selection is likely far different from others because I can more easily supplement the daily diet with fresh meat due to my location. This factor and many others will inevitably alter one's decisions as to how you inevitably sort things.

Freezer Section
Storing foods in the freezer is mainly for those with electricity...or is it? Even without, a freezer is useful in the winter if it is outside. It still keeps food cold and safe from nature during cold months. Handy so you don't have to smoke that whole moose shot late in the year. Meanwhile it's a place you store bulk foods purchased on sale until consumption or later dehydration. Seems I logically then had to create this section as it often holds enough valuable food stores that it needed including.
Frozen Meats
I entered the basics and left room for additions and left all values unlocked so you could delete my entries if you wished to.
The bad side is that you can screw things up when items are unlocked so be careful.
Frozen Meals
This can cover all sorts of purchases. It too remains unlocked.
Vegetables
Used examples that were in my freezer at the time. Simply delete and change to what you have as also unlocked.
Processed
Just another section. I even unlocked the Title so you could change it too if you wished.
Large Game
This section owns most of this sheet as it does with my freezers. This is because it includes all the cuts of meat you'd get from hunting large game. If you use the calculators included in the Meat Section, the data formulated there automatically appears here too
• Info under the Calc Lbs column displays the expected weight for each type of cut. Now it is only a suggested figure and actual weight of each cut is to be then entered in the Min column.
• all values from your entered data will appear as you go along
• you can later revamp data after you dehydrate or can some of this meat
Now you can have some fun by running some scenarios of what such as a single deer would do to affect your food store supplies. This experimenting should also awaken the need to be able to preserve the meat in such as way that nothing is wasted due to some meat spoiling.

Drinks Section

Now all I've discovered about such as bulk juices is that those on sale are usually already out of date. Yet many of them contain essential nutrients and can be consumed far beyond their expiry date...how far I do not know. Energy drinks such as Gatorade are great because they can replace electralites. But you can make such drinks far cheaper if you chose to. Now I made a category for powdered too so that one could inventory flavoured drinks if you wanted to. So now we can now get down to the basic water supplies.
Stocking up on water is more essential than food in many ways mainly because we need it sooner than food. Often folks will assume that it will be readily available and thus put no more thought into the matter. I think all folks should at least have a basic idea as to how far their last minute dash for water would get them before they shelf this resource somewhere in the back of their minds.

So I left a couple ideas for your bottled water first. You fill in the sections in white to data for final calculations under Requirements section. Next you enter data about how many water filters you have and how many liters each are capable of filtering.
Finally I include a formula section and areas you can pilfer water from in emergencies. Now if you suspect water pressure to drop soon after such as a power outage, a smart fella would start filling their tubs up quick. Also every container that you can find to fill. Then you'd turn off the main water valve so your water in the lines won't run out. Shut off the hot water tank and disconnect toilet flush levers to prevent one's auto reflex from flushing instantly after use.
How much do you have and how long can it last amongst those in your group? This answer is attainable if you fill in as much data as you can in the Water Reserves section provided. Again, you fill in the white boxes and the answer will appear.
Hot Water Tank: simply measure and enter the height and diameter of your tank. Type the volume presented into column #1. There are still 5 more boxes you could use for various other round containers to further increase this total.
45 Gallon drums: uses the same formula as the water tank and is really a continuation of filled round containers you wish to add.
Round Containers: another extension of the above calculations process.
Bathtub: measures square containers volume instead with another 6 boxes to add to your inventory
Waterbeds: an excellent container and works on the same principles as the item above.
Square Containers: another six boxes of possible additions to your inventory.
After you have filled out as much data regarding present means of capturing the water before pressure drops, go to the Requirements section and see how long your captured water reserves could last you.

Water Requirements:
• Click on the Requirements tab at the bottom left corner of your spreadsheet
All data from drinks section is shown here in the blue section that is meant to sorta look like water bottles to the discerning eye....
I kept things separate so you can see what is drinkable, filterable and in bulk. Now the bottom bottle starts by subtracting from your total water supplies to 1st fill your groups basic need for drinking water. It's limits are determined by the # of weeks you have set forth (in the white box just below) regarding the Set # of Weeks Food Supply. You can see how much water your filters can clean and how much is left for other duties.
You'll soon note one can never have enough. After you run out, you'll have to start hauling it from wherever that might be. At least now you have an idea of what you could be facing if the time came so you maybe can better remedy this issue.

Garden:
As mentioned earlier, I know little about this subject and all that I've written here is mainly what I learned along the way while writing this sheet.
• The Light Green section pertains to your Seeds Inventory.
• The Planting section(mid Green) includes data about planting and how far apart plants need to be, # per person, and yield
• Harvest (dark Green) shows duration to maturity and expected yield, then your actual yield
The initial goal here was to help folks know how big your garden would need to be to feed your whole group. Seems it covers much more and all this pre-determined data was gathered from various websites so it should be reliable. Other factors like quality of soil and rain can alter the final harvest but at least you should a better idea of what to expect after using this program.
If you complete the data entry at harvest, the results are then added to your present food stores and then you can once again determine how long your food reserves will last.

Meat Section:
Another area that simply grew as I wrote. I needed to be able to evaluate the calories one could expect from hunting. This extended into formulas regarding butchering as fat content changes with the cut of the meat. I eventually added data from farm animals to many wild meats of Canada.
Once you enter the basic data required, this program will determine how much edible meat you can expect, right down to the weight of each type of cut produced. This info is then carried into the Freezer Section for Large Game where it appears in the first row as Calc Lbs. Now it is only a suggested figure and actual weight of each cut is then entered in the Min column.

Here's how to use this area:

Deer Calculator: (also for other medium sized game)
Step 1
1. enter the live weight(before gutting). This can be obtained by using the girth(diameter of the chest behind the front legs).
2. It simply calculates the amount of edible meat you end up with

Quartered Meat Calculator:
• I wrote this because such as moose are just too big to work with. As we often chop them into 4 pieces to haul them out, it seemed a simple thing to add this calculator which helps a hunter answer them nagging questions. It also determines the edible meat expected.
Meat Type Particulars:
Step 2
Now I had to extrapolate to attain some of this data, but it should provide as accurate a means as any regarding calorie content in wild meat.
• Using the Large to Medium Game Chart provided, enter in the data on your kill into the white 3 boxes provided.
Carcass Breakdown
Step 3
• now enter the "Edible Meat Weight" expected from your calculations done in Step 1 into the white box.
• A breakdown of meat cuts will be presented with approximate weights expected per cut.
Now even if you pay a butcher to cut your kill, this info will provide you with numerous data about the trustworthiness and overall skills of your butcher. Often folks assume that all cuts are there when the butcher is taking a portion without permission. If your short on all cuts, he is otherwise tossing away alot of meat as scrap.
BTW, the average waste expected per bullet hole is approximately 10 lbs of meat.
Remember: Not bleeding the animal fast enough can eventually allow for blood to congeal in lowest regions and can destroy meat too.

Bear Calculators
I also included separate calculators for bear to determine live weights as bear are plentiful throughout Canada.

Brine Calculator
For those who intend to can meat, the brine calculator will help you determine the amount of jars and salt that will be need per lbs of meat canned.

Forage Section
This area covers the most unreliable aspect of Food Stores but if you perceive that your group is successful enough to include a value as a constant source, then options are available to do so.

Forest Garden
This essentially covers food sources that you would find growing wild in nature. From making flour from cattails to collecting mushrooms, anything that you collect enough of where it eventually restocks your supplies with calories and nutrients is worthy of note. There are hundreds of such foods in Canada's wilderness.
• Harvest Dates is something to help for the next year and is required for determining Potential Harvest
• Final weights can then be separated into canning or dehydrating

Picked Fruits
This section can cover both wild and tame fruits. I included the common fruits of Canada with their nutritional values.
• uses the same formulas as Forest Garden does

Small Game
This section covers the basic critters found in Ontario for now. The items in black are unlocked and can be changed to suit your own region/ Those in grey are locked as they are found everywhere.
• The dates column is presently good for times to legally hunt the specified game.
• The other columns are just concepts and I can't predict if they'd really be useful in the long run

Fishing
This section again is somewhat similar to the Small Game section and also shares some common aspects from the other two.
• using this sheet should be self explanatory after using the above sheets.

You can play with estimating the effects of your foraging by entering data in various sections and seeing how their contributions change the values in the Deficiencies region if they presently show red. I learned alot from playing with these figures for awhile.
Example: One might consider how little the calorie content is in fish before you waste too much valuable time fishing each day. Investing in a gill net and minnow traps might reduce this time invested to make better use of the day during hard times. Also investing in small game traps vastly improves your chances of acquiring this wild meat too.
0 x

mitchBeaudoin

Postby mitchBeaudoin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Share your expertise on my PREPPERS show

Hello International Preppers Network Members,

I was given permission by IPN to reach out with this invitation.

We are preparing a lengthy coverage on preppers and survivalists for our Podcast show to start in January 2016. We are reaching out to PREPPERS interested in sharing their views on this important issue. We have started interviewing book authors, e.g. Jim Cobb (Prepper’s Survival Hacks, Prepper’s Long-Term Survival Guide), Bernie Carr (The Prepper’s Pocket Guide, The Penny-Pinching Prepper), James Ballou (Long-Term Survival in The Coming Dark Age) Ragnar Benson, Arthur T. Bradley… We also want to speak to YOU the survivalist.

Since our focus will be about getting ready for any potential catastrophe man made or natural we are wide open to speak to anyone about anything. This is how we would do this, I would phone you by Skype phone, record the conversation on my system, edit and prep the, the best duration is 20 minutes. Then upload to the web site. We don’t need to use your real name if you would rather remain anonymous. A continental location would give the show that international dimension.

I'd love to talk to you and fill in any blanks/questions you might have and set up a date and time.

My Skype # is michel.beaudoin.38. Please use the word prepper so I know it’s not spam.

Regards
Friends call me Mitch
mitchbeaudoin@hotmail.com
0 x

Zippy

Postby Zippy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:19 pm

I haven't had time to go through the Food Stores program completely, but liking what I am seeing. Tremendous amount of work...thank you for all your hard work.
0 x

westshield

Postby westshield » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Wow this is amazing. It will be very helpful to keep track of my entory and help make purchases.

Question though, I keep getting a 'Unprotected Sheets' box that requests a password, whenever j try to make a change to the inventory list. How can I make these changes?
0 x
There are more people prepared for a zombie apocalypse than a week without electricity.

To fix that check out www.westshieldoutpost.ca

Return to “Food Storage”