• Advertisement

Walmart Freeze Dried Food

Discussions about Food Storage
Plain Jane

Walmart Freeze Dried Food

Postby Plain Jane » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:46 pm

You may probably already know this, but it's new to me and I thought I'd share! :) Walmart is selling freeze dried fruit and some veggies. I was also told by another member that she saw oxygen absorbers when she typed in freeze dried food.
http://www.walmart.ca/search/freeze%20dried

Anywho, I think it's pretty cool! Hope this has been of some use to you all!
0 x
Ya know.. 'cause girls need paracord too!

farmgal
Canada

Re: Walmart Freeze Dried Food

Postby farmgal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks for letting us know
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Plain Jane

Postby Plain Jane » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:09 pm

No problem! I think that if your order is over $50 they ship it to your nearest store for pick up too. Possibly your home. That's a pretty sweet deal to me! Will double check though.
0 x

Plain Jane

Postby Plain Jane » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Yep! Free pick up in store or shipped to your home if your order is over $50!
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:25 pm

Walmart.ca prices are quite reasonable as well (at least for freeze dried fruits/vegetables and mylar bags/oxygen absorbers). I did a side by side with Briden and Walmart and Walmart has the better deal for the same product. Briden offers free shipping on orders over 199.00 and Walmart offers it for orders over $50.

But you still can get a better deal on Amazon for Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. You can get both the bags and the absorbers for the same price as one order of the Mylar bags at Walmart/Briden. However the thickness of the mylars are not the same. Walmart and Briden are both at 5.0 mil. Where the ones on Amazon are thinner. The ones I looked at did not show the thickness but I know from my experience they are thinner. I still prefer the thinner ones because they are easier work with and vacuum seal very well with a regular food saver. Maybe it’s just me but I have not had a much luck vacuum sealing the thicker ones.

Having said the above, Briden still has a much better choice of items. They have freeze dried meats and diary which is almost impossible to get here in Canada (Briden still ships these from the States and you have to order – I think its 5 #10 cans) but at least they are a tried and true company. I have never had any problems with them.. The only other company I know that has freeze dried meats and diary is Baulys from out West but their prices are higher and shipping is crazy expensive. So given I do most of my own dehydrating of fruit and vegetables I will still be using Briden for meats and diary. Not to say other companies might not be as good if not better. It’s just that briden have been around for a long time and have become my go to company for these items. I will have to make a point of checking other companies before I make my next order.
0 x

Matreshka

Postby Matreshka » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Wow! 25-year shelf life, amazing! Thanks for the tip! I wonder what the nutrition quality is like. I've tried freeze-dried strawberries before and the taste was ok.
0 x

Matreshka

Postby Matreshka » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:32 pm

Looks like COSTCO online has them too http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?stor ... ried+fruit
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:38 pm

If your looking for the nutritional values you can go directly to nutristore and they provide these.

http://www.foodstorage.com/food-storage-categories
0 x

Matreshka

Postby Matreshka » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks, Adagio
0 x

Return to “Food Storage”