• Advertisement

cattail, pigweed, lamb's quarters, chickweed for supper

Discussions of Hunting and Gathering
martha

cattail, pigweed, lamb's quarters, chickweed for supper

Postby martha » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 am

Did some foraging for cattail shoots and laterals (shoots that haven't come aboveground yet). Cooked 'em up for supper. A mixed success:

Pro's - I finally did it
My experience/learning curve has begun
Was somewhat alright as food source
I think I could improve the experience

Cons - rooting around in the muck was a bit creepy (fear of snakes, bloodsuckers, mud-zombies)
a lot of the parts I got turned out to be too fibrous
some parts tasted swampy - they tasted like the swamp smelt

steamed some pigweed & lambs quarters - they were good and very akin to spinach. Most of these weeds are too old now but I just happened to have a fresh batch sprouting up.

steamed some chickweed - very good, lemony. delightful. I used to eat it regularily years ago
0 x

Syn

Re: cattail, pigweed, lamb's quarters, chickweed for supper

Postby Syn » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:51 am

I like lambsquarters mixed with other greens in salads, on sandwiches and in smoothies, I haven't tried them cooked . I also like chickweed raw on sandwiches . Chickweed is such an early green where I am that it is an absolute delight to have for me . The dandelion budding blossoms I found wonderful in numerous cooked capacities from lasagna to stir fries. Cattails were a fun adventure for me , I liked mucking about in the mud but actually eating them, well they were not up there with potatoes but I am told they might keep one alive and I have not found it worth the effort to do it again , also fibrous and not to my taste, but yes it was one of those things that now we know . I was chewing on some raw clover green the other day and was surprised how much it reminded me of green tea in flavour . For health I like adding things like this but if I ate what you did for dinner , I would not feel satisfied .
0 x

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:41 pm

And include wild Purslane for juiciness and taste!
Also, I've been introduced to a Korean type of thin celery which seems to be a prolific perennial in moist/mucky soil, and we're going to transplant a bed for next season.
It tastes good, when about 8-10" high.
I have good crop of ontario organic garlic this year, almost cured ,ready for sale or planting....whichever i have time for first.
0 x

martha

Postby martha » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 am

Thanks for the input syn, yes, I wouldn't feel satisfied with just those plants for supper, I also had chicken. I think the lamb's quarters is a brilliant survival food, as well as chickweed and pigweed as they are super abundant. I also have an aquired taste for dandilion salad in early spring before it becomes too bitter. A smart friend of mine cleverly suggested I could extend the dandilion harvest by putting a board over a good patch. I'm thinking that by slowing the chlorophyll activity it might slow down the process by which the leaves become more bitter.

Wild purslane villager, I'll have to id it and try it. I think I heard someone say recently that you could use the leaves for pea soup, or maybe I'm just making that up... It's the stuff with fleshy, rubbery leaves right? The Korean celery you mention, did you buy seeds, it's not found in the wild is it? When did you plant your garlic? I finally had the presence of mind to plant some last fall and was so delighted to see it growning this spring. Like magic!
0 x

Return to “Hunting & Gathering”