• Advertisement

What type of berry is this?

Discussions of Hunting and Gathering
Danux
Canada

What type of berry is this?

Postby Danux » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:06 pm

We were hacking through a stand of chokecherries in central Saskatchewan, yesterday, came across this odd type of berry. Or perhaps the more appropriate phrase is "berry" (with quotes), as there is almost no flesh to it - it's all seeds. They are short plants, maybe half a metre tall, I saw a few small tendrils/vines (like peas put out) supporting it on the larger bushes around it, and the fruit appears to grow out in a perfect sphere, except at the back where the main stem feeds it. We thought a grape of some kind at first, and the pits kinda suggest grapeseed, but the berries are too small - about the size of an average Saskatoon, I'd say. Here are a couple of images:

Berry 1.jpg
Berry 1.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 470 times

Berry 2.jpg
Berry 2.jpg (180.3 KiB) Viewed 470 times

Looks like the critters are not eating it, so I'm guessing it isn't very healthy for mammals, but I'd like to identify it. Anyone recognize this?

0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: What type of berry is this?

Postby farmgal » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:25 pm

I think its possible that it looks like greenbriar/bullbriar to me, its like a high bush cranberry, The birds and critters will start eating it later in winter when they have fewer options. that's the best guess from the photos.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Danux
Canada

Re: What type of berry is this?

Postby Danux » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks for the response, it does look a lot like a Greenbrier to me. A bit more searching on the net, from that direction, shows a "Common Carrion" (Smilax Lasioneura), a type of Greenbrier. Kewl! I'm pretty sure it's either that, or a Smilax Herbacea. Great! Appreciate the bump.

0 x

Return to “Hunting & Gathering”