• Advertisement

Ask a leader livestock, farming and gardening questions here

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Ask a leader livestock, farming and gardening questions here

Postby helicopilot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:18 am

Denob wrote:DO NOT TAKE THE PURPLE DOTS!
ANYONE WHO HAS TAKEN THE PURPLE DOTS SHOULD REPORT TO THE MEDICAL TENT IMMEDIATELY...
ALL OTHER RECREATIONAL TREATS ARE CONSIDERED SAFE...
PLEASE ENJOY THE REST OF THE CONCERT HERE IN WOODSTOCK!

Good laugh here :lol:
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:18 am

My good husband says......40 years ago, California.......had purple dots, it turned out it was a variety of Tobacco smut, also known as Tobacco Rust, and was a virus. He doesn't remember if there is any cure, but he does remember we burned everything that had the dots, and sterelized the soil. I suggest googling Tobacco smut, to get better treatments.

He says he has no Idea if the smut is dangerous to people, or not.
We both hope this helps.
KK
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:47 pm

After some research, John found this link. We hope it helps. Things may not be as bad as they seem, as there is at least one disease that is treatable.

http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/di ... treatment/
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:37 am

Just looking at the link.... me think it may not be the right problem lol
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 am

Doing a bit more research, it seems like my problem is Cercopsora. The problem is there seem to be many sorts. The other problem is that my research seems to confirm what my problem is, but there seem to be very few answers on how to treat it.

I've first noticed some common weeds having those bright purple spots on their leaves a few months ago. I would remove them and toss them in the garbage (vs compost pile). Then my beets started showing sign, just a leaf here and there. Over the last week, it seem to begin being more widespread and about 1/5 of my beets seem affected. I've trimmed the leaves that were obviously affected and removed some entire plants.

Yesterday, I've noticed some of my strawberries plants - that have now finished bearing fruits - starting to have purples edges and spots, the leaves becoming stiff.

Today, I've noticed some thistle weeds growing in among the flower /shrub gardens that have those bulbous purple spots. Finally, my rhubarb plants that were doing extremely well a few days ago also appear to be affected.

I'm frankly troubled by the problem owing to my sizeable garden and my utter lack of experience dealing with diseases and fungi.

So far, I've removed everything that shows sign of damage and put the affected parts directly in the dumpster. So shy of pulling out a flamethrower, what can be done? Is it just something I have to accept as a problem that will disappear eventually with the snow or is this something more pervasive that's also getting into the soil to haunt me next season?? With my beets almost ready to harvest, are they safe to eat?
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 am

I got nothing, I defer completly
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Sorry, just saw this post, alittle late I know!!!
But perhaps the below can help plant now and soil for next year!
Last edited by Dakota on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:05 am

Found this if it helps....cercopsora treatment-
In cases where a more aggressive treatment is called for, copper, widely used as a general-purpose fungicide, can be purchased as a ready-to-use formula in spray bottles, or as a concentrate that is mixed with water before using. Apply a pre-mixed formula by spraying all parts of a plant at the first sign of disease, repeating every seven to 10 days for as long as needed. Alternatively, mix 1/2 to 2 fluid ounces of copper concentrate with 1 gallon of water and apply to all parts of the plant when the disease first appears and every seven to 10 days for as long as is needed. When using any chemical controls, wear protective gear that includes a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, socks and sturdy shoes, protective glasses, thick work gloves and a filter mask.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 am

Also, the two factors that commonly influence copper are the soil pH and organic matter. Peaty and acidic soils are most likely to be deficient in copper. Soils that already have high alkaline content (above 7.5), as well as soils that have had pH levels increased, result in lower copper availability.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks tons for the info Dakota!
0 x

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”