• Advertisement

Heritage Breed Chickens

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
Syn

Re: Heritage Breed Chickens

Postby Syn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:13 am

All the Canadian breeders I know deal through the Alberta Chickens Etc. website :

http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting.com/
0 x

OddDuck

Postby OddDuck » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 pm

I have chanteclers as my main flock. I am developing some ameraucana, copper maran and cuckoo malines. The available stock is terrible, so it takes me a few years to breed them up into decent birds. I will be crossing the malines with Cx and then breeding back to the chanteclers for a good meat bird that lays eggs. I hatch my own chicks in order to increase the odds of good results.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:42 pm

hmm, sounds very interesting odd duck, lets us know how the crossbreeding goes, I would be interested in learning more as time goes by
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:34 am

Just a list of the chicks I bought last spring. Buff, dark and light brahma. Copper maran , black Langshan and partridge Cochins. My contact had many others, but these were the birds I was interested in. My favorites are the brahma's. Their all doing well and today I celebrated my first egg- while underwhelming in size, they promise they"ll get bigger. I'm looking forward to having my own daily supply of fresh eggs!
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Beau peep in Chilliwack is a good supplier that ships.

We use barred rocks, copper marans, australorps, and my personal fave: Bielefelders.

BF'ers are the ultimate prepper breed. You can determine sex on day one, by sight. Helpful if you want to segregate meat birds from layers. They are good Winter layers, cold hardy. Quiet!! Dual purpose, nice personality. Hard to find, but worth the effort. Give them a Google!!
0 x
One is none, two is one.

dollyndrew
Canada

Postby dollyndrew » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:44 am

We picked up a couple of silver spangled hamburgs ( I think that's how it's spelled) at the poultry swap on Sunday. They're not known to be great layers but we got two eggs on day one and I'm happy with that. Rooster crows about 8:30 am (ish) which is pretty darn considerate.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:49 pm

glad you are enjoying your new chickens
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”