• Advertisement

Rabbit Breeding

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Rabbit Breeding

Postby farmgal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 pm

I find anything over four weeks good after six weeks is golden, they say you can do them as newborns but I would never do so as it would bother momma and while I do believe in checking on them right away, I don't see any need to stess the kits or the momma when can be done in a few weeks later.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

wha

Postby wha » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:40 pm

On Aug 6 they will be 6 weeks. The thing is we have a hard time picking them up.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 pm

]ok, so they are certainly old enough, as for picking them up, put on a heavier fall long shelve jacket done up and thick leather gloves, one hand goes on the body (best way to write it, fingers around head, down neck on either side to shoulders, which holds bunny in place on the floor of the cage, then slip second hand under bunny, lift in one motion, top hand still in place to keep bunny from jumping away, pick up and put back down a couple times, once you are comfortable with this, then move to the same pickup and this time, bring in and close to body in chest area.. I will attach a grow out color photo, and it will show the hold, she has lifted the top hand and leveled the bottom hands fingers down flat for the photo but the rest is still there. the good thing about these photo is that its a 12 year old doing this and it was her first time doing this for me and you can still see how well it went once the baby bun is in that postion

Then once the bunny is comfortable with this, slowly lift top fingers and lightly stroke the head and ears, once it won't try and bolt from that, work your way to pets on top hand, bottom hand till providing support and control and your main chest area being the table so to speak, once the bunny is comfortable with that, I will do a little photo shoot tomorrow on the flip, I will try for a video and a sexing to boot.. let me see what I can do for you.. don't have the second person today but will tomorrow.

You will need to typically pick them up a couple times in each postion before you are going to be ready to calming teach them to flip and hold, I have a litter that has been trained for sexing already and a litter that has not, I will ideally take some of both and show you why its worth the work while you are learning to sex them.

FG
Attachments
2012-12-24 555 (600x450).jpg
2012-12-24 555 (600x450).jpg (186.32 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
0 x

wha

Postby wha » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks farmgal, look forward to the video.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 am

ok, so of course I didn't do my own advice and I am bare handed and in a T shirt but when learning, take my advice, thicker light weight jacket and gloves. I tried to show the holds, the flips and the sexing.. hope it helps.. please ask questions if you have any :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyHoi5PJ ... tube_gdata
0 x

wha

Postby wha » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks farmgal for taking the time to make the video, it was well done and will be easy to learn from.
Now all I have to do is finish the grow out cage and then catch the little things.
0 x

wha

Postby wha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Well we got them sexed after we did it twice which was a good thing because we were wrong on one of them.
6 does and 2 bucks now my daughter has to choose which doe she wants to keep. She has it narrowed down to
2 a black one and a white one with a black nose. Since its the first time for her were thinking on letting
her keep the black one and the white one which would give us 3 does. Thanks again for the video farmgal.
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 pm

I have been amiss in familiarizing my rabbits to being handled , and I will point out beyond being able to sex them, any medical attention or even slaughtering will be calmer if they are familiar with being handled . Thanks for that farmgirl.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks guys, that is great news that your sexing went well, keep us posted as it goes and if you have any questions when you get to the butcher stage or if you are going to be working your hides, happy to help if I can :) Same with recipes or ways to cut up the parts etc.
0 x

wha

Postby wha » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Farmgal I now have 3 does. What I'm wandering if they are all kept in one big hutch if they would use the same birthing box
if they are rotated and cleaned out between each one.
0 x

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”