• Advertisement

Planer shavings

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
wha

Planer shavings

Postby wha » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Can these shavings be used in chicken coops or something.
Attachments
IMG_0919.JPG
IMG_0919.JPG (99.42 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: Planer shavings

Postby farmgal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:03 pm

For sure, they can be used in the bedding, the only difference is how long it will take to compost down, if you use straw, hay or peat or a mix of (it will compost out in one season) but when I use wood shavings, typically in a mix of the above, it will take two or even three season's, granted I don't turn them that often, which would help if you were doing it yourself.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Syn

Postby Syn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Absolutely use it for bedding then reuse it as a soil ammendment. I have used shavings for bedding for all sorts of beasties for decades and have the loveliest soil you can imagine after it breaking down for decades and being top dressed and mixed in with garden soils.
0 x

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:50 am

Caution in mixing with the soil. Proportion is really important...since the undecomposed carbon will use up available nitrogen to digest, instead of feeding your plants which may be heavy feeders.
I find it best , as with leaves , to leave them on the surface, and let the worms and microbes engage with the carbon from below as they determine the balanced need of their strata / sphere. (By the end of the season, not much is left of leaves on the surface, and that residue can be incorporated safely to contribute to the bank of humus development.)
For more rapid carbon transformation, sprinkle with manure water occasionally.

A mix of dry shavings and sawdust is apparently good for storing potatoes....breathable medium, capable of holding and gradual release of moisture.
0 x

wha

Postby wha » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:09 pm

I don't have chickens yet, that's next years project but know I know I can use it with them.
What I have this year I'll mix in with the pile of rabbit poop I have.

If I stored potatoes in a tote box with shavings in my shed would they freeze.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Wha, just a quick note, I'm not saying that you can't mix it with rabbit poo..

but I would like to point out that mixing it with leaves, and grass clippings and give it a full year to compost will get good results, where as your rabbit poo is considered a cold poo, it does not need to be composted, you can use it as a top dressing right now in the gardens, and then mix it in now or spread and mix it in in the spring..

Just pointing out that one is ready for use right now, and one does ideally need to composted out for at least a year with some higher carbon matter ideally.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

wha

Postby wha » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks farmgal this is all new to me, still learning.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:25 pm

I realize this is an older post but...wha, yes definetly-you can store your potatoes in a bin full of wood shavings! I use my left over shavings from when we make log furniture. Done it for years! When you first dig up- let them sit in the sun to harden their skin alittle. Lightly brush off excess dirt (do not wash!!!) Make sure you layer your shavings and that the potatoes are spaced side by side(but not touching). We keep ours in the unheated garage. Just finished eating the rest of last years-as good as when they came out of the ground. We usually fill four/five large totes. What's left is this springs crop!!!Hope this helps!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.64 KiB) Viewed 401 times
0 x

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”