• Advertisement

Goat/sheep hybrid = Geep?

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
BelowTheRadar

Goat/sheep hybrid = Geep?

Postby BelowTheRadar » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:37 pm

"If you’ve ever wondered what a goat/sheep lovechild would look like, today is your lucky day"
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/if-you%E2%80%99ve-ever-wondered-what-a-goat-sheep-lovechild-would-look-like-today-is-your-lucky-day-183411483.html

I was raised on a farm that had neither goats nor sheep and I've never heard about this hybrid before so I have to ask, "Do you keep the Geep?" Hybrid animals can be fickle but can also possess some favorable attributes like a mule. This should be interesting to watch as the Geep grows.

Anyone have thoughts or comments? Could a 'sheep' with some self defense attributes be a good choice?
0 x
Than= I’d rather be rich than poor.
Then= I first became hungry then I ate.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.

cernunnos5

Re: Goat/sheep hybrid = Geep?

Postby cernunnos5 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Could be good. Sheep are more sturdy for Canadian weather and more likely to survive...but they are too stupid to survive. Goats drop like flies...but they are smart enough to not walk off a cliff to get stuck in a water hole. Like mules, they couldn't breed, though.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:18 pm

I see no point in doing it personally, I like goats but I will stay with my sheep
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

runswithscissors

Postby runswithscissors » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure it's a step up either. They both feed differently from each other so I'd be wondering about the feed conversion. I'm not a fan of sheep with horns (I have a habit of getting hit by the ram we have now as it is when I'm not really looking).

From a week old perspective, I'd say it looks pretty meaty. Maybe that's the merit in the cross. I would think that the wool would be course making it sub par for a shearling hide or comfortable as a yarn.

I'm with you Farmgal on not seeing the point.
0 x
Runs With Scissors

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:44 pm

runs with scissors, hit regular as in need ram training, or hit in breeding seasen when all ram are rammy? for the first, powerful water bottle with mix of vinager/water, and when he does the back up charge.. bam, aim for the eyes and a loud NO, repeat as needed, till, just your finger out with No, will have him backing off, in breeding time, do consider a rams hood, worth its weight and then some

http://www.showstopperequipment.com/sheep-breeding
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:27 am

I always thought that Angora goats looked a lot like sheep. I mistook the first one I saw, until he walked right up and tried to eat my lunch...
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:23 pm

We bought two nubian doe goat babes this spring. It has been a wonderful learning year. Their smart and great entertainment to watch(better than TV). Both are very gentle and friendly. We will be breeding them soon-adding the benefit of milk, cream and cheese! I love these animals and find them easy to care for.
0 x

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”