• Advertisement

Chickens

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
peppercorn

Re: Chickens

Postby peppercorn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:00 pm

That is serious fencing.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:59 am

Lmao, ya it's a bit deceiving. That's the chicken run area. Has about 2 ft wide horizontally laid hardware wire(small squared heavier gage wire) under the dog kennel fencing. Then we laid gravel over top of the wire. They leave that area during the day for free range and at night return to their safer area. We have Cougars, bears and all type predators so have made it pretty hard to get into the immediate area of the coop. We also have a great pyrenee to watch the fencing around the pasture. It wasn't bad for cost-as I would look for deals on kijiji and slowly got enough to make a 40 X 20 outdoor safe room for the chickens. Gotta love the woods!
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 pm

So I lost my awesome roo -mr big-to old age! Sad when there a really good animal. Luckily I thought he was slowing down and got a few chicks late fall. One is a copper maran roo like my old guy-he's turned out to be very good with the girls and a great protector as well-screams out when the Hawks are above, shows the girls where the good food is.
I've named him CLUCK NORRIS !
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 am

I hear ya, I lost my big old red boy this summer fight off a fox to save his girls.. a good roo will lay his life down for the girls, I have a hardy smart Icelandic rooster and he is great at alerting and keeping a close eye on the sky but he is just not big enough, however I got a son of his that is crossed out to one of my biggest heavy breed hens and boy is he a up and comer at being a great flock protector. Best of luck with your Cluck Norris!
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”