• Advertisement

Chickens

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
wha

Chickens

Postby wha » Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

We just got some chickens a few weeks ago, do they eat ants that are red & black.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: Chickens

Postby farmgal » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 pm

They will a little but most learn to leave the ants alone and don't bother them or the hills much at all.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

wha

Postby wha » Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I was hoping they would cause we have them all over the yard during summer, and i didn't want to have to spray for ants. Guess thats what you get living next to the woods.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon May 19, 2014 9:31 pm

You can create a taste bud in the chicks, by feeding them the weeds you would prefer they go after but as anyone with a chicken yard will tell you, don't give them enough space and you will be seeing bare dirt soon enough, they will eat it all
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Mon May 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Quineafowl are the ultimate in bugs, and would eat both black ants in Alabama, but not they red ants.
They're insanely talkative and super loud when they announce a good find, something they're not sure about, or a threat, but my mother didn't have ticks or ants and they were pretty much safe in the garden except when stuff was going to seed. They'll steal oil seeds and peck the stuffing out of sunflowers getting to the little buggaboos there.
They're shy, though, and they don't herd or follow well.
They can be trained to roost in boxes, but they do better in tractors for that area due to cats and racoons and foxes. They're also not the smartest bird mothers in the world and will run their chicks through deep puddles and wet grass. The cocks are awesome husbands and fathers, and will announce good bugs and hold onto little lizards or slugs then let the girls take them. The cocks can only handle 8-12 ladies or so and the eggs are small and a little slower than multi-purpose chickens.

The big limiting factor for them is the noise, although the self-raising and egg production can be factor for some, too.
0 x

wha

Postby wha » Mon May 19, 2014 9:48 pm

We have two white leghorns to start off with, just learning and all. Maybe will get lucky and they'll love ants because we have a lot of them during summer.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:50 am

We picked up our chicks and goats about ten weeks ago. It is my first time testing my animal husbandry skills as a adult. It is going well-everyone is still alive anyway! As a child we had chickens but never goats(cute little things). Learning lots about both critters. Built the 8x20 barn into two sections(like a duplex) one side houses the chickens, the other the goats.
I'll add some pics soon. The chickens have gone from cute(all the kids coming to visit them), to raptor looking teenagers, and finally now beginning to look like the the awesome chickens I have been looking forward to. We live in a area of Alberta where we have to worry about predators (bears, cougars, large birds/owls, and all the usual raccoons, skunks..) so building the barn and the chicken run was no quick task. We had two wolves checking the perimeter of the fence the first week we brought the animals home-but the dogs chased them away, with no further attempts since. Were all getting use to each other. I am very excited about learning more as I go-and if anyone is interested in the progress ,let me know!
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:04 am

Have had an awesome experience raising these chickens. Heritage chickens- dual purpose. All is working out well and we're heading into their second fall/ winter. The chickens share a large fenced area with the goats and have a run they can go to when they choose. The coop which was not heated worked wonderfully by insulating the building. We had eggs pouring out of the fridge to neighbours who are addicted. It was the best prepping choice to start raising these animals and touch wood-we have not lost one to predators. I own a Great Pyrenesse who automatically started doing what the breed is known for-watching the animals. I didn't need to train him to do anything-he just does it by instinct. The best dog I ever owned!!! Walks the perimeter of the property many times a day, very calm and protective of the chickens and the goats but looks like cujo when something or someone is coming close to the property that isn't suppose to. Dam...should have put this on the chicken and dog topic :?
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Forgot to go back an add a pic of the shed we turned into a duplex barn. This is an older pic but you get the idea. Chickens in the front /goats in the back. I have a separate old insulated dog house in the back for the ducklings we just got a month ago.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 489 times
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Very nice, I like it
0 x

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”