• Advertisement

Salt Curing

Discussions about how to grow your own food or raising livestock.
farmgal
Canada

Salt Curing

Postby farmgal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 pm

I am currently salt curing eggs yolks, in a 50 salt-50- sugar solution..

I will be doing goose, duck and chicken eggs in this way, once fully prepared, they will hold up to a year and are grated like a well aged dry cheese on dishes.

I also made Cured Salmon this week and I have plans for a number of other salt cured meats this year..

Anyone else?
1 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Salt Curing

Postby HopeImReady » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:48 am

I have tried the Swedish-style gravlax, salt-curing salmon. I found that I don't like the texture of the finished product, compared to smoked or jerkied salmon. I have never thought of curing eggs. Is that similar to pickling hard-boiled eggs?
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:08 pm

The salt cured egg yolk ends up a hard solid piece, that you grate like a old aged dry cheese, it adds a bit of salt-egg flavour to what its used on, typically on salad's or pasta or in sauces as such..

I am working on a post for the salt cured month for the blog, and I just took the yolks out of their cures and into the dryer now, you can hang them to dry but it takes another two or three weeks to finish them and I am wanting to use them before that.

They are a very different texture to pickled eggs..
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:08 pm

https://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.com/ ... egg-yolks/

sorry for just linking, but my photos are to big to upload.. but if you do not care about seeing the photos, here are the written post if you want to try it?

One cup of canning salt, one cup of sugar with the ratio of 50/50 for whatever amount you need for the amount of egg yolks you are doing, I did chicken because that is what is laying right now on the farm but we are going to do this again with duck an goose later this year as well. this is the bottom layer with the yolks on top, it was fully covered till you can see nothing and into my cold room, others use the fridge. at the  24 hour mark, I moved a touch more of the cure from the side over the egg on the top as it had melted a touch

After a week in the cure, I took these stunning beauties out of the cure, they say gently brush off what you can or you can give a tiny rinse, your choice, I rinsed with cool water as short as possible. now you can wrap them in cheese cloth and hang to slow dry for two or three weeks and once fully dry they will last up to a year in proper storage.

I wanted to get them done and this post up, so I did the fast way, into my dehydrator at the jerky setting for 4 hours and then sit overnight and this is the lovely result, the next day.

Grated into rich, golden bits of salty, sweet eggy goodness, even my hubby agreed, like a aged parm cheese in texture and that they are good, can be grated over salads, on sandwiches, on pasta and grated in sauces an so forth
1 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:33 am

Thanks farmgal - I am going to try this out :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “Livestock, Farming and Gardening”