• Advertisement

Water Purification + Storage

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
Preparation H

Water Purification + Storage

Postby Preparation H » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:57 am

Does anyone have any experience using this:
http://www.lifesaversystems.com/
We plan to get one in the next few months. If desired, we can post a product review.

Also, we have purchased a:
http://www.waterbob.com
...which I am sure has no holes in it--ha!--so we also have a patch repair kit.
0 x

mamabear

Re: Water Purification + Storage

Postby mamabear » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:51 am

Where did you get your Waterbob Preparation H (giggling at your name...)?? I'm having trouble finding one...
0 x

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 am

I believe the Bunker Supply Store in Guelph carries them or something similar. The advert says it will keep water fresh for 4 weeks.
0 x

Preparation H

Postby Preparation H » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:51 pm

We actually bought them online at Amazon.com and had them shipped to us.

mamabear wrote:Where did you get your Waterbob Preparation H (giggling at your name...)?? I'm having trouble finding one...
0 x

Grey-Wolf

Postby Grey-Wolf » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:51 am

At my BOB I have dug a few deep holes around 1.6m deep and have store a few of those 15-20ltr thick plastic water bottles you get from the petrol stations, along with a few items to make a quick filter system and food stuff, I think that should suffice as a basic stock/ reserve, plus being below ground it is kept pretty cool and wont be spotted by anyone who may stumble across my BOB in the mean time.
0 x

BelowTheRadar

Postby BelowTheRadar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:29 am

I built a filtration system using an old coffee filter holder + coffee filters (to pre filter), a couple of square 16L food grade buckets, 2- 7" gravity fed Doulton candle ceramic filters
http://www.doulton.ca/imp700.html and some hardware bought at a UFA (farm supply store) for 8 Gal per day of drinking/cooking water from almost any source. (cost about $160 total)

I have also accumulated several clear plastic mini kegs (10 or 12 liter?) that will kill off micro bugs using the suns UV. (they use it in Africa with no further treatment) BPA's are better than dying of thirst... I think?
0 x
Than= I’d rather be rich than poor.
Then= I first became hungry then I ate.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Radar,
BBAs will cause long term effects and you can get some good quality 3gal and 5gal clear containers that are BPA free.
0 x

BelowTheRadar

Postby BelowTheRadar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:30 am

I haven't found the bulk BPA free bottles other than minute sizes. The Doulton filters are my first line of defense for the first 4000 gallons or so. The other mini kegs are back up/last resort before drinking from a slough. :lol: I am more worried about GMO corn and other crops than BPA's. I'm also going to dig a shallow well (10ft - 12 ft) in my yard as the water table never goes below 9 ft here. I'll have that water tested and see what further treatment I need. BTW I have plain old bleach in stock as well.

Thanks for the heads up though... :D
0 x
Than= I’d rather be rich than poor.
Then= I first became hungry then I ate.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 am

I know this thread is old but I just stumbled upon it.
Prep H, we have the Lifesaver jerry can and bottle but have not field tested them as they arrived late last year as winter was rolling in. You can find the discussion here I hope;

http://internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2400&p=27076&hilit=lifesaver#p27076

This discussion was under "Ontario" rather than under "Water" so it took a while to find :cry:
0 x

Faraday

Postby Faraday » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm sorry that this is not an answer to the original question asked here, but I think it belongs in this section.
As far as I knew, rain water did not need to be purified? Here is an article I found today, showing that indeed bacteria is present in clouds.
Does this mean rain water should be purified?
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/storm-clouds-c ... 41662.html
Thanks!!
0 x
If your home library contains more volumes about survival-related topics than your local public library, you might be a prepper.

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”