• Advertisement

Water Purification + Storage

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: Water Purification + Storage

Postby Denob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Unfortunately, the article doesn't explain what forms of bacteria are present.
The world is full of bacteria, very few are actually harmful, and some are actually beneficial.
As the article does explain, some of the found bacteria are also present on plant life and in the soil.
It would stand to reason that these bacteria end up there through the natural cycle of water...being evaporated into the air, rising into the clouds, and eventually falling back to the surface in the form of precipitation.
I would be more concerned with the bacteria that can find it's way into the rain water from your catchment system.
Would I somehow purify rain water before drinking it?
You bet...but not because of the bacteria in the clouds.
0 x

Faraday

Postby Faraday » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Great answer, thanks so much!!
0 x
If your home library contains more volumes about survival-related topics than your local public library, you might be a prepper.

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Well, I did not know that either so great adding in this Scientific Data.

I will be making sure I filter the purer.. rain water then. Since the rain water is so slight in any compounds and any mater at all, normal rainwater shows .000 to .002 ppm, your water filter will last a good long time. Some metering on Water bottles and tap water showed the following;
britta - 100-500 ppm
rain water - .000 - .002 ppm
tap water - 150/300 - 350/375 ppm
bottle water - anywhere from 200 - 750 ppm (Nestle always the highest ppm)
except the distilled water which is pure; .000-001 ppm

I also look for water with the lowest salt and chlorine amounts added
Make sure you upgrade or check your water filters if getting water from outside, to see if they clean out bacteria and viruses as well then!

edit; the rain water harvesters have a chamber normally that fills with the first 2-3 minutes of water, then the water flows into its rain water harvesting tubes or system. This is the safest as the roof or other surface will be contaminated with normal air pollution. The rain water coming down for the first few minutes is also the most polluted as it carries the effluent that is present in the air normally.

So, I was told wrong before, though my information was pre-this experiment and research.. Again... Great Catch and very helpful thankyou!
0 x

Ennah

Postby Ennah » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:26 am

Hi,

Maybe this can help some people. This is an overview of different way on how to purify water if needed in case of.

Water supply US ARMY CENTER http://www.greatnorthernprepper.com/wp- ... -Water.pdf
0 x

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”