• Advertisement

Water Bottle Expiry Dates

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
scrounger

Re: Water Bottle Expiry Dates

Postby scrounger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

A little tidbit from http://www.bottledwater.org/ These guys are the group that reps the water bottlers.

Consumers also ask about expiration dates printed on some bottles and whether bottled water has a limited shelf life.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates bottled water as a packaged food product, has determined that there is no limit to the shelf life of bottled water.

Because it is packaged under sanitary, good manufacturing processes; is in a sanitary sealed container; and does not contain substances (such as sugars and proteins) typically associated with food spoilage, bottled water can be stored for extended periods of time without concerns.

In addition, only one state (New Jersey) has ever required expiration dating for bottled water. However, the New Jersey state legislature repealed the 2-year expiration date law several years ago, noting that there was no scientific evidence to support such a requirement. Some companies place date-based lot codes on bottled water containers, which are typically used to assist in managing stock rotation at distribution and retails points.

Bottled water is an excellent choice for emergency water storage and, of course, daily refreshment. FDA Good Manufacturing Practices mandate that bottled water be produced in a sanitary environment and bottled in sanitary, safety-sealed containers. These and other extensive FDA, state and industry standards help ensure that bottled water delivers consistent safety, quality and good taste to consumers.
- See more at: http://www.bottledwater.org/education/b ... h8gH0.dpuf

Don't take it a gospel. Do your own research.
0 x

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:53 pm

DaScribbler wrote:
WildernessReturn wrote:keep and use,
depending on how long they have expired and how much plastic is floating around, you might want to rig up a sand filer or even some mesh to catch the plastic particle bits.
cheesecloth or some other cloth that is very fine should do.

Coffee Filters?

Coffee filters are an excellent primary particulate filter.
0 x

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 pm

DaScribbler wrote:
WildernessReturn wrote:keep and use,
depending on how long they have expired and how much plastic is floating around, you might want to rig up a sand filer or even some mesh to catch the plastic particle bits.
cheesecloth or some other cloth that is very fine should do.

Coffee Filters?

I was looking at some very fine wire/plastic mesh coffee filters the other day, that would definetly work!
0 x

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 pm

Wilde - are those the "reusable" coffee filters that don't need a paper filter?? that would be a handy extra and inexpensive idea!
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:51 am

Anita, yes in the Grocery store as low as only $6, slight modification and it could work out just fine I think.

I was looking for them recently as someone offered me coffee and pulled that out, put in fresh grinds and voila.. impressive coffee, yummy! Up till then I had not even given those filters a second look really.

Want to see how fast those little water bottles break down, freeze one, let it thaw out, then bank it on a countertop,
It looks like a snowglobe then! All them little plastic bits floating around, so yummy and healthy!!
0 x

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:32 am

I know when water bottles get frozen in the vehicle in the winter they taste salty when they are melted. I hate the taste of them. Perhaps some of the particles could be plastic but I would guess it is also minerals floating around - similar to what happens when you boil hard water.

Thanks for the tip.
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 am

In a pinch dairy filter or autobody paint filters would work as a primary filter. Good for one off uses when you wouldn't want to contaminate a reusable filter.
0 x

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 am

What is a Dairy filter?
do you mean the filter in the big tanks?
0 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 am

http://www.tscstores.com/6-12-MILK-FILTERS-P3809.aspx There are also sock filters but I'm thinking these require more then gravity pressure
0 x

GeorgeGedy

Water Bottle Expiry Dates

Postby GeorgeGedy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:44 pm

I cant remember where I saw it but someone on one of our forums made a water bottle stand with a liter bottle, pvc pipe and a drinking spout.

Anyone remember where this was?

Thanks, Belinda
0 x
интернет-магазин подарков и сувениров. Широкий ассортимент, отличное качество. Возможна доставка по Москве и МО. [url=http://cllon.ru/]глобус бар настольный купить недорого[/url]

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”