• Advertisement

Ask a leader water questions here

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
peppercorn

Re: Ask a leader water questions here

Postby peppercorn » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:36 am

....spring summer fall is the time to collect and store...my experience is roughly 14 to one...14 inches of snow, melting down to 1 inch of dirty water, in other words very little water. And its ugly water at that...think about it its winter more people heating with everything from wood, gas, oil, so the air is dirtier. I stop collecting at the first snowfall and start up again after the first rain.
I know 3 homes using rainwater including mine...not one of us collecting (from snow) in the winter, and its not just a water quality issue, you get very little for your effort and trouble in trying. Now I am talking homes here...a couple bathrooms, flush toilets, normal washing machine, dishwasher, daily showering and stuff.............you don't say but if your just talking about a one room cabin, outhouse, sponge bath, and enough water to make coffee everyday....well maybe it will work for you...
My suggestion is Storage!
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

frugalcanadaprepper

Re: Ask a leader water questions here

Postby frugalcanadaprepper » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:15 am

Thanks for the advice. I found there is a product that will heat through coils but I highly doubt it's worth the energy expanded for the reward. I suppose I will have to research just how much storage I need to get through a winter. (Normal house, single frugal girl). Thanks peppercorn.
0 x
“The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”