• Advertisement

GRAYL water filtration cup-anybody try this one?

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
Glockman1

GRAYL water filtration cup-anybody try this one?

Postby Glockman1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Here is what i found so far

CUP SPECIFICATIONS:
Grayl Water Filtration Cup: • Incorporates sleek design, an innovative mechanism and the advanced G3+ filtration technology. Built with 18/8 Stainless Steel so it's stylish enough for the office and rugged enough for the outdoors.
• Comes with the G3+ Filter (see Below for Details)
• Innovative fill, press, and drink mechanism filters your water fast and easy without sucking, squeezing or waiting.
• Materials : 18/8 Stainless Steel and food-grade silicone are extremely durable.
• Fits in a car cup holder.
• Sealing flip lid.
• Drink through the flip lid, guzzle without a lid, or seal cup for later.
• Liquid Capacity: 16oz (500ml) per use.
• Dimensions: 9.1in tall (23 cm) - 2.8 in diameter (7cm)
• Weight: 19.6oz (556 grams)
• Lifespan: 40 gallons (150 liters)
• BPA Free

Choose from Two Levels of Protection: • G3+ Filter – Removes 99.99% of bacteria (included with the Grayl Water Filtration Cup).
• G3+ Purifier – Removes 99.999% of bacteria, cysts and viruses sold separately HERE.
• Both the Filter and Purifier remove chemicals and metals that affect taste and odor. Both are tested according to NSF/ANSI standards 42 + 53

First Level of Protection: The G3+ “Filter” (included) is sufficient for most people in the USA. The Filter strips water of nasty chemicals, flavors and odors and filters 99.99% of the Bacteria (such as E. Coli) in about 15 seconds.
Second Level of Protection: The G3+ “Purifier” (sold separately at this LINK) Filters 99.999% of Bacteria (such as E. Coli), Viruses (such as Hepatitis A, SARS, and Rotavirus ) and Protozoan Cysts (Cryptosporidium and Giardia).
FILTER VS. PURIFIER:
The G3+ Purifier and Filter are interchangeable and fit the Grayl Water Filtration Cup. What you need to decide is what level of protection you want from your Grayl Water Filtration Cup. • The Cup comes with the G3+ Filter (described below), and is sufficient for most people in the USA. The Filter strips water of nasty chemicals, flavors and odors and filters 99.99% of the bacteria (such as E. Coli).
• The G3+ Purifier removes everything the filter does, PLUS it removes 99.999% of protozoa (Cryptosporidium and Giardia) and viruses (Hepatitis A, SARS, Rotavirus). The Purifier is recommended for people who travel internationally, and absolutely for those who intend to use their Grayl Water Filtration Cup during outdoor activities (camping, hiking, etc.)

FILTER & PURIFIER SPECIFICATIONS:
The G3+ FILTER: (comes with the Grayl Water Filtration Cup): A replaceable filter sold as standard with the Grayl Water Filtration Cup. • Filters 99.99% of Bacteria, such as E. Coli, plus:
• Filters certain industrial and pharmaceutical chemicals, including BPA and Penicillin;
• Filters heavy metals such as lead and aluminum;
• Filters impurities that can cause bad flavor and odor, such as Chlorine and Sulfur.
• The G3+ Purifier and Filter are interchangeable and fit the GRAYL Water Filtration Cup.
• 1) Triple ion-charged mesh traps disease causing germs. Removes 99.99% of bacteria, such as E. Coli;
• 2) Ultra-powdered activated carbon derived from coconut husks absorbs many heavy metals such as lead; certain pharmaceuticals and industrial chemicals (including BPA); and odors / flavors.
• 3) Integrated anti-microbial agent inhibits growth of mold, bacteria, fungus and mildew, keeping Grayl fresh between uses.
• BPA Free
• Weight: 2.3oz (65g)
• Size: 2.9in (7.3cm) height - 2.7in (6.7cm) diameter
• Flow rate: 16oz (500ml) in 15 seconds (2 L/minute)
• Materials: food grade plastic and silicone, G3+ filter media
• Lifespan: 300 uses - 40 gallons (150L) - approximately 3 months. (Replace more frequently if heavy particulates water.)
• Tested according to NSF/ANSI 42 and 53.

The G3+ PURIFIER: (Sold Separately HERE)
The ultimate in filtration technology:
• Filters 99.999% of Bacteria (such as E. Coli), Viruses (such as (Hepatitis A, SARS, and Rotavirus ) and Protozoan Cysts (Cryptosporidium and Giardia)
• Filters certain industrial and pharmaceutical chemicals, including BPA and Penicillin.
• Filters heavy metals such as lead and aluminum.
• Filters impurities that can cause bad flavor and odor, such as Chlorine and Sulfur.
• The G3+ Purifier and Filter are interchangeable and fit the GRAYL Water Filtration Cup.
• 1) Triple ion-charged mesh traps disease causing germs. Removes 99.99% of bacteria, such as E. Coli;
• 2) Ultra-powdered activated carbon derived from coconut husks absorbs many heavy metals such as lead; certain pharmaceuticals and industrial chemicals (including BPA); and odors / flavors.
• 3) Integrated anti-microbial agent inhibits growth of mold, bacteria, fungus and mildew, keeping Grayl fresh between uses.
• BPA Free
• Weight: 2.9oz (82g)
• Size 2.9in (7.3cm) height - 2.7in (6.7cm) diameter
• Flow rate: 16oz (500ml) in 30 seconds (1L/minute)
• Materials: food grade plastic, G3+ Filter media
• Lifespan: 300 uses - 40 gallons (150L) - approximately 3 months. (Replace more frequently if a lot of sediment present in water source)
• Tested according to NSF/ANSI 42 and 53.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... GqGRTpXYYg
0 x
Chance favours the prepared mind

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: GRAYL water filtration cup-anybody try this one?

Postby Denob » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Neat looking new product...
anything I don't have to lay on by belly with my face in a river and suck through a straw is a bonus for me!
Just one thought though...
there must be some sort of tight fitting gasket on the inner part that forms a seal to the outer one, preventing contaminated water from getting through.
I would think that this gasket could be a possible weak point though...if it doesn't hold the seal 100% you could be in trouble.
One thing I do like is the anti microbial filter, which kills off bacteria, preventing it from growing within the filter between uses.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:42 am

Interesting that it filters about 4x faster than a Berkey with a full upper chamber according to the stats above and this guy on YouTube did a whole bottle (500ml?) in about 10 sec. Wonder if quality of filtration varies from how fast you push the filter through?
0 x

Glockman1

Postby Glockman1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:04 am

The unit is 69 dollars and the filters are 19 and 39 dollars on One Shot Tactical's website (Canadian supplier). Price seems good and the say it is stainless steel so durability should be good also. Might be worth a try but i'd like to read some reviews where it is a new product.

GM1
0 x
Chance favours the prepared mind

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:37 am

Do a web search - see if it's on Amazon or some other retailer, they usually have many customer reviews.
0 x

GRAYLman

Postby GRAYLman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:38 am

Hey all, this is Travis, GRAYL co-founder. Just wanted to answer a couple of questions that you all posted - I'll reply to the people who asked.

I want to be respectful of your rules, so I'm not pitching anything or pushing my (admittedly awesome) product.
0 x

GRAYLman

Postby GRAYLman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 am

Very good question, Denob,

We focused a lot of attention on the crucial seal that isolates that 'clean' inner cup from the 'dirty' outer cup. We performed extensive internal testing on the seal, and have tested dozens of filters in an independent lab. I'd be happy to share those test results, just get in touch with me.

Furthermore, the seal only lasts as long (300 uses) - every time you change a filter, you change the seals, so they'll never wear out from over-use.

Denob wrote:Neat looking new product...
anything I don't have to lay on by belly with my face in a river and suck through a straw is a bonus for me!
Just one thought though...
there must be some sort of tight fitting gasket on the inner part that forms a seal to the outer one, preventing contaminated water from getting through.
I would think that this gasket could be a possible weak point though...if it doesn't hold the seal 100% you could be in trouble.
One thing I do like is the anti microbial filter, which kills off bacteria, preventing it from growing within the filter between uses.
0 x

GRAYLman

Postby GRAYLman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 am

We've had some great reviews.
Hey Perfesser,
We've had some great reviews. Here's one from a fisherman - http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fly ... ration-cup

And a traveler - http://snarkynomad.com/the-grayl-water- ... on-bottle/

An Overlander - http://www.livingoverland.com/2014/01/r ... n-cup.html

And another fisherman - http://midcurrent.com/2014/02/27/first- ... ation-cup/

Hope that helps.

Travis

Perfesser wrote:Do a web search - see if it's on Amazon or some other retailer, they usually have many customer reviews.
0 x

endangeredspecies

Postby endangeredspecies » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:34 am

there a bottle you need to see
its use similar process but has also hand crank uv purifier
cant wait to grab one of these bottle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTQF4XbDgbE)
0 x

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”