• Advertisement

Can An Unused Lifestraw be Stored in Cold?

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
Captain_Ambiguous

Can An Unused Lifestraw be Stored in Cold?

Postby Captain_Ambiguous » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Planning to get a Katadyn Combi, but I wanted a few Lifestraws for my backup kit in the garage. Question is, can it survive cold temperature? Obviously if there's water in it, it will freeze but I don't plan on using it prior to an emergency.

I've found some vague warnings on one or two sites saying "frozen filters should be discarded." But what that means is open to interpretation. Does anyone know for sure?
0 x

Girlcancan

Re: Can An Unused Lifestraw be Stored in Cold?

Postby Girlcancan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:20 pm

I have one and by reading the instructions it says that they may not work properly if exposed to extreme heat or freezing temperatures. So you are basically taking a risk by using one that was frozen. Life straws also have a 5 year shelf life from the date of manufacturing and this shelf life is only dependent on how you stored it. Low light, low humidity and between temps 10C and 25C are best to ensure a full five year shelf life.
0 x

TotalPrepare

Re: Can An Unused Lifestraw be Stored in Cold?

Postby TotalPrepare » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi all,
From the North American distributor: "No shelf life. LifeStraw can be stored indefinitely. (Former shelf life estimates have been revised.)"
"LifeStraw products use mechanical filters to remove contaminants from the water source. No chemicals or moving parts are involved within the filtering process, meaning nothing will expire. If stored in room temperature, the LifeStraw will last indefinitely until it reaches capacity...even after use!"
Cheers,
Ray
0 x
Looking for Emergency Preparedness Supplies? Total Prepare Inc. is dedicated to providing Canadians with the best emergency preparedness products and self reliance solutions. http://totalprepare.ca

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”