• Advertisement

Pool Chlorinated Water into Drinking Water?

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Pool Chlorinated Water into Drinking Water?

Postby helicopilot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:17 am

Can any system be used (other than distillation) to turn pool water into drinking water? Berkey? Sawyer? Solar still?

Thanks
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: Pool Chlorinated Water into Drinking Water?

Postby Denob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:18 am

Any good quality filter should have no problem with this at all. Berkey, Sawyer, etc. all remove chlorine.
To help out a bit, I might pass it through one of those household filters first, such as a Brita, which would remove a lot of the chlorine and help extend the life of your good filter.
I have an Aquapail for bulk water and several Seychelle Advanced bottles for BOBs and would not hesitate to use pool water in them.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I always assume people pee in pools(yuck :x ) and so I stick to swimming only in lakes...that I often pee in :lol:. Hey, blame the fish , they started the habit... :?
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:55 am

Well, I guess that with a few filter implements, I now have access to a couple 1000s litres of water. I would mostly use it to flush, wash, but if it comes to it, drinking after filtration works for me!
0 x

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 pm

I've been exploring the possibilities of refitting a pool/spa type of oval sand-filter as original and another filled with charcoal , just for filtering surface or shallow water and/or rain water. I've got 2 of these from a local pool/spa installer company. I see several of these each year in the garbage ....having no idea why they don't re-cycle/repack them.
I want to have them ready for use as a gravity-flow system .What do others think of this? ?
Here is an informative link, especially their Q & A section where they explain the necessity of having the right combination of bacteria in the upper layer to handle the inevitable pathogens : http://www.bluefuturefilters.com/roughhome.html
0 x

just/fine

Postby just/fine » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:29 pm

I'm just using a couple of brita filters after regular water filter system,but the sun will burn off most it and 12v bulge pump to move the water,and keep it oxgeniced
Where we rent we have a 150.000 gal pool
So I don't chorinate it for the winter,so just break through the ice to the winter blanket,and I'v got water
0 x
underwater is safer than land

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Just/fine, as far as I know, Brita filters don't do much other than "enhance the water aesthetically" if you read their specs.
0 x

canadaboy

Postby canadaboy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:53 pm

My wife was a lifeguard for almost 15 years, so is up on the topic of pool water. It depends what the pool is treated with. If they are salt water pools, distillation is the only way to get rid of the salt.

If it is a plain chlorine pool, you can drink it straight with no treatment. Swimmers drink a bit every breath.

Pools often contain other stabilizing chemicals that can be harder to remove. If you own the pool, you know what is in it, if you don't, you really have know way of knowing

What people need to realize is that without the consent adding of chlorine to the pool, after a few days, it reverts to plain water. Which then gets contaminated like all the other ground water.
0 x

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”