• Advertisement

Is 8' sand point safe or deeper

Discussions about procuring and purifying water
Sage
Canada

Is 8' sand point safe or deeper

Postby Sage » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:27 pm

I have a high water table, 2' and the hole fills up. I have all the pipe to go 15 to 20 feet (this is for sand point) but is that necessary? Would 8' suffice?
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Re: Is 8' sand point safe or deeper

Postby term0shad » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:55 am

Depending on what your building. More wieght of a wall decide allot to footings and distance of footings and how deep you might need to go. But might be wrong on what your talking about. If a well deeper the better. Plus if that get water tested before you drink it.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:08 pm

I agree. The deeper the better. Just hope you don't hit rock. At 8 feet you're still dealing with ground water and it will more than likely not pass for drinking water without a good filtering system. You could pour javex or hydrogen peroxide around the standpoint and leave it for a couple of days and then take a sample to get tested. By doing this it may pass the water test.

It all depends what you need your water for. If your building a permanent residence the rules are fairly strict. Every district is different but where I am we need 3 gallons a minute and it has to pass the test. If not you need an ultraviolet type filter. Check with your district health unit..
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 pm

I agree. The deeper the better. Just hope you don't hit rock. At 8 feet you're still dealing with ground water and it will more than likely not pass for drinking water without a good filtering system. You could pour javex or hydrogen peroxide around the standpoint and leave it for a couple of days and then take a sample to get tested. By doing this it may pass the water test.

It all depends what you need your water for. If your building a permanent residence the rules are fairly strict. Every district is different but where I am we need 3 gallons a minute and it has to pass the test. If not you need an ultraviolet type filter. Check with your district health unit for the rules in your area.
0 x

Sage
Canada

Postby Sage » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:05 am

Thank you termOshad and Adagio , I'm putting 2 sand points in, one for horses and one closer to house for emergency. No rocks all sand. Have the pipes to go 15 feet + well point. First attempt, I bent one pipe from using a sledge hammer. It's almost impossible to find extensions for my auger (all hand equipment). Heading to hardware store tomorrow for ideas.
0 x

Return to “Water sources, storage and purification”