• Advertisement

Prepper Database

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
ICRCC

Re: Prepper Database

Postby ICRCC » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Eiter way it should be compatible with Open Office.
0 x

ITPrepper

Postby ITPrepper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 am

Currently the plan is to use Access, however I'm still developing it on paper since it isn't a smart move to program while you plan.

For the users that don't wish to purchase software, Access has a Runtime program that you can download for free and use Access databases.

I am not entirely set on what database system I will use as of yet though! More to come on that once I've developed a solid ERD.

The plan will be to not have any software required for purchase, with the eventual goal of working with Linux as it is open source and you may not be able to purchase a copy of Windows or buy a shiny new Mac if SHTF.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

I am working on the something similiar atm to post on my blog :)
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:06 pm

WordPress?
0 x

Allegro

Postby Allegro » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 am

ITPrepper wrote:
ICRCC wrote:Not sure that you will have too many takers. There could only be a down size to advertizing your preps. OPSEC! ;)

Thank you for bringing that up ICRCC :)

My intention is to not have people tell me what they have, since it would be stupid to break OPSEC.

I guess a better way to ask for help is, if someone were to put a piece of software in front of you that let you track your own preps (ie. on your own computer), what information would you like to track?

For instance, if you were wanting to track how much food you have, my idea would be...

Food Name, its location, how much of that particular item you have, how much it weighs, the nutritional information, the production type (if it was grown, bought, etc), expiration.

Each database would be run locally on each individuals computer, not run off of a server owned by me. Even if everyone trusted me, if SHTF... there could be no internet, and now all your hard work went to waste unless you were religious about printing off your preps every week/month.

Just to give an update on what I currently have on the list to track (in broad terms) are...

Food
Liquid (water, juice, alcohol, etc)
Energy (wind, solar, stored gas, etc)
Other goods (playing cards, video games, appliances, everything that doesn't fit into other item categories... this may change as I learn more about prepping :))
Ammunition
Guns/Weapons (cant decide if there would be any advantage to tracking your guns separate from your knives or hunting bow, etc)
Persons (part of your family/ingroup/friendlies)
Skills (what each person can do)
Outsiders (information about people skulking about, suspicious stuff human activity, etc)
Encounters (would keep track of the history of interactions between yourself/your people and outsiders)
News
Weather
Local/Global Events

There is a lot that goes into a database, and I would like to make it as complete as possible. Hopefully this clarifies some things and makes everyone a little less apprehensive to assist :)

To: ITPrepper

I use a grocery app on my smartphone to organize and catalogue my grocery runs and manage that inventory. I'm sure most of the items you want to catagorize and track would fit into different 'grocery lists' so-to-speak to detail the different items, the quantity, and specific details. Thinking of each shopping list in the sense that they're different locations might be a handy tool in organizing one's supplies.

The thing about this is the type of people that would use such an app are preppers... Preppers are, by their very nature, very methodical in the organization. Most preppers out - well really just about all preppers out there already have a system of organizing their things. I would ask locally if other folks in your area would use such a tool or if they have something worked out already. I have a 'to-buy' list and a 'to-learn' list as well.

Now if I were to create such a checklist - make it practical. I personally like paper and compass when I travel. I use GPS of course! My point is that GPS gadgets run out of power eventually. GPS systems are dropped, go for a swim one too many times, etc. Make your checklist prepper-proof'd. Keep it simple and most of all...reliable.

Cheers,

M - Hamilton
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:10 pm

I have already written various programs that are posted on this website. You can use them with OpenOffice.org , MS Office, or any other program that is compatible with Excel spreadsheets as that is what they are written with.

WeaponStats2.xlsx helps you determine which firearm is best for you and tracks all your ammo, including brand,price and the desired amount that you wish to stock.

First Aid Kits.xlsx help you build your own from scratch or improve the ones you already have.

FoodSupply.xlsx helps you inventory the stock you have in a unique manner.

- If you enter the calories per serving, protein, carbs, sugar, etc, of those items you stock,
-it will determine how long your supplies will last at specified parameters. eg: It counts the calories of your supplies in total, notifies you of your salt intake, etc., for a balanced diet.
- It has a frozen section, canned, dehydrated,and water,
-allows you to predict product from garden growing and allows extra for hunting/gathering.
- It shows calory and protein counts for wild meats and livestock

I can use these on my Android phone and they should work on iPhones too but no one has remarked whether they do or not.
Very few even comment to let me know areas for improvement or errors they find in the sheets so it is hard to measure the interest others have other than by # of downloads. Participation regarding this matter is low for some reason. Look under Attachments for files. Let me know of improvements they could use and maybe I'll write them in sometime.

I even leave the formulas viewable so others who are writing can learn from them. Food Supply is completely unlocked so you can work with it all you want. I did this figuring that others might modify and repost their works as a sort of group project. Figure to get back to it someday with a fresh approach and make it better. I tried to use color for clarity in Weapon Stats and often wondered if it helped others follow along more easily. I didn't see this thread until now or I would have posted here earlier.

~ Knuckle ~
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:24 pm

I keep a list for my food preps..format, expiry, quantity, etc. I hate having duplicate items, so I also keep a list of what I have where, I.e what is in my bugout bag vs safe vs car...so I can find things easily. Then I print out the page & cut out each list & tape it to the bag in question, so I can see at a glance what is in that bag/container. Anything more complicated than that, for me, would end up being more overhead than is worthwhile....
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:17 pm

Others earlier mentioned that giving a location is bad due to the list falling into others hands. Instead of a location , a code or number could be designated so that only you would know where that location is. That would allow for accuracy in inventory counts while still protecting the location.

As for HopeImReady's printing of the list, I too do the same. When filling a 5 gallon pail, I mix the contents to form various daily meals so I can work off 1 pail at a time (or sell or give it to others later as a peace offering). eg: add oatmeal porridge(breakfast), lg Bag of rice(dinner,suppers)cans of beans(protein mix to meals),Lipton Onion Soup mix(flavour to rice)dehydrated veggies(say peas & carrots). Also I include those cheap 2" can openers and plastic utensils. I inventory the contents and include a copy inside the pail and another in my database. My program can quickly determine how far the contents can go when you input the # of people, ages and average # of calories your likely burning(ie: high energy or idle).

In this way, food can be split easily, grab only 1 and you have much of what you need or grab many. Large bulk containers filled of mainly 1 item would require the opening of many to make various meals and likely promote wastage more than this way should IMO. Determining a balanced diet is important over the long haul and this is why all the counting is required. Most items have salt pre added to preserve the foods better and that is why many will find their salt intakes high when calculating. As health is top priority, I figured I had to track the contents of that which I select to ensure palatable meals that covered most of the essentials.
0 x

Stinkweed64

Postby Stinkweed64 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Ok folks, again I hope I don't seem overbearing or look like a fool but I was wondering why would you even need such a thing? Is there a fear of early onset dementia in the upcoming global apocalypse? I think if I were to stash needs of vital importance I would have it seared into my brain cells down to the inch. Where is the electricity to power these laptops/cell phones coming from? I don't ever remember reading about the pirates forgetting where they buried the treasure. I'm sorry if I've offended anyones intellect but I served in the forces and one lesson I learned was KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). We had all our defensive positions on paper, chalkboards on plastic vinyl. Something easily destroyed lest it fall into enemy hands. The last thing I would want is technology to tote.
0 x
There is no OS in Chaos. The future is in the past. Time to get back to basics.

kdxman

Postby kdxman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 am

Postby Knuckle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:10 am

I have already written various programs that are posted on this website. You can use them with OpenOffice.org , MS Office, or any other program that is compatible with Excel spreadsheets as that is what they are written with.

WeaponStats2.xlsx helps you determine which firearm is best for you and tracks all your ammo, including brand,price and the desired amount that you wish to stock.

First Aid Kits.xlsx help you build your own from scratch or improve the ones you already have.

FoodSupply.xlsx helps you inventory the stock you have in a unique manner.

I did a search for these and did not find, help :mrgreen:
0 x
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;

Return to “Communication & Tech”