• Advertisement

Prepper Database

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
ITPrepper

Prepper Database

Postby ITPrepper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi all,

As I had mentioned in my introductory post, I am interested in creating a database for preppers.

Just to describe my plan, I am looking for assistance on what people more experienced would want to track, ex) amount of water, where its stored, etc.

The hope is to be able to incorporate "minimum" survival standards, allow you to print off hard-copies of the logs (prior an EMP or power loss event), potentially extrapolate how long your reserves would last, "enemies"/allies, etc.

I plan on making the database freely available. That being said, I'm hoping to receive support from the prepper community, in the form of information, knowledge, advice, etc to make it happen.
0 x

ICRCC

Re: Prepper Database

Postby ICRCC » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:20 am

Not sure that you will have too many takers. There could only be a down size to advertizing your preps. OPSEC! ;)
0 x

ITPrepper

Postby ITPrepper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:14 pm

ICRCC wrote:Not sure that you will have too many takers. There could only be a down size to advertizing your preps. OPSEC! ;)

Thank you for bringing that up ICRCC :)

My intention is to not have people tell me what they have, since it would be stupid to break OPSEC.

I guess a better way to ask for help is, if someone were to put a piece of software in front of you that let you track your own preps (ie. on your own computer), what information would you like to track?

For instance, if you were wanting to track how much food you have, my idea would be...

Food Name, its location, how much of that particular item you have, how much it weighs, the nutritional information, the production type (if it was grown, bought, etc), expiration.

Each database would be run locally on each individuals computer, not run off of a server owned by me. Even if everyone trusted me, if SHTF... there could be no internet, and now all your hard work went to waste unless you were religious about printing off your preps every week/month.

Just to give an update on what I currently have on the list to track (in broad terms) are...

Food
Liquid (water, juice, alcohol, etc)
Energy (wind, solar, stored gas, etc)
Other goods (playing cards, video games, appliances, everything that doesn't fit into other item categories... this may change as I learn more about prepping :))
Ammunition
Guns/Weapons (cant decide if there would be any advantage to tracking your guns separate from your knives or hunting bow, etc)
Persons (part of your family/ingroup/friendlies)
Skills (what each person can do)
Outsiders (information about people skulking about, suspicious stuff human activity, etc)
Encounters (would keep track of the history of interactions between yourself/your people and outsiders)
News
Weather
Local/Global Events

There is a lot that goes into a database, and I would like to make it as complete as possible. Hopefully this clarifies some things and makes everyone a little less apprehensive to assist :)
0 x

Hilltopprepper

Postby Hilltopprepper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Nope not interested. Just not a smart thing to do!
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:57 pm

I am still not clear what the actual in intention of this database is. If you are talking about developing and comprehensive, flexible personal database that is to be used by an individual prepper I see merit in the undertaking. The location field seems to be irrelevant. If an individual prepper were to share their database with say another member of their group it would be a personal decision. Either way the location field would not be needed. To share this information with anyone else would fraught with danger and would be somewhat insane.
0 x

ITPrepper

Postby ITPrepper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:19 pm

ICRCC,

You hit it on the nose :D

I don't want any control of any of your information, the database would be decentralized. Every prepper would be able to download and use it independently and store all their information.

Thank you for the advice on Location, I figured I would put it in there so that way you wouldn't forget where you buried something (I haven't read anything about how you should go about remembering where you put preps).

Otherwise, the Location would be defensible locations on your property, routine for bugging out, etc.

I do plan on making sections of the database (if not most portions) secure, requiring you to input a password.

Let me know if this clarifies things, I'm used to talking to clients in person about databases, a forum is a little different hahaha.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 am

I am clear on your aims now and I fell that it is a very worthwhile project. Ok now some questions about the nature of the database itself. Will it be a stand alone or will it require a dedicated software package like Access? If it is a standalone it is unlikely that individual preppers will be able to modify it for their specific needs. However both approaches have value.
0 x

ITPrepper

Postby ITPrepper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 am

For the first round of the database, I will be using Access simply because it is extremely robust and has a front end built right into it (forms for easy input). Later versions will likely be mySQL based with amped up security.

Even with Access, and the prepper prefers to not purchase the Suite, they can use Access Runtime to both access and use the database to its near fullest.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 am

Good that is a sound approach.
0 x

Ham&eggs

Postby Ham&eggs » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Any chance it could be made compatible with either OpenOffice or Oracle 10g Express, both of which the cheapskates among us can download for free?
0 x
The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

Return to “Communication & Tech”