• Advertisement

Ham Radio Network

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Ham Radio Network

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:03 am

So, quick update here on my (minor) progress on ham radio. With my handheld Baofeng I've listened in on a few local VHF 2m nets - have not transmitted yet. Seems to be mostly older gentlemen talking about their grandkids so far...

I can receive the nets that use repeaters, but none of the ones that are simplex - I think I need a real/better antenna for that. Plus I am limited by my current licensing, as can only use above 30 MHz, which is usually more local/regional unless there is funky sporadic-E phenomena (auroras, comet trails, etc)...

Denob, I haven't tried to transmit or receive from the repeater near you, but maybe we could decide on a date & time and test it out. Multifarious and Ottawa613, we might be in range too...

Any others in my area, please let me know if you want to test out communicating. Fair warning, though - I am a total newbie :D

Until I get that going, I set up Echolink to connect to more distant stations. It is a PC-to-PC setup between licensed ham stations. This would have limited usefulness in a widespread SHTF situation, but good for connecting until then. However, nobody I know was using it, at the time I was logged on, at least not that I could find. I thought there might be Echolink conferences which covered prepper topics, but I didn't find any listings like this. If anyone knows of some, please pass them on.

Are there any licenses hams out there (worldwide) who are on Echolink? Maybe we can try to connect, if any of you are out there ...
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

tradesman

Postby tradesman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 am

I'm
Last edited by tradesman on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:23 am

Only your name is registered. You can remove your address, I did.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:36 pm

I have reached out to the folks that run the Mont Rigaud repeater VE2RM for perimssion to use their repeater for a weekly net.
Hopefully they will allow this, and get back to me with the best days to operate.
Everyone who is interested should test their equipment and make sure they can hit it.
Here is the info on the repeater for programming...
http://www.ve2rm.com/147.htm
If you don't want your callsign on air, or don't have a ham certificate and can't transmit, I will set something up for listeners to confirm off air participation via the internet.
Of course, if they are nice enough to let us use their equipment, you may want to consider joining their club for $15.00 per year to support them.

I will let everyone know once I hear back from them.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Did these folks ever give you permission to make use of their repeater? If so, I am one of those without a certificate as yet and would only able to listen. Most clubs in my area have already started their courses and are more than half way through. Plus they only give these courses once a year. Dang it. I am working on getting the self study guide and notes from the OVMRC and once more comfortable they are prepared to administer the test. But until then I would only be able to listen.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Oh ya...thanks for the reminder.
No, they never got back to me, but the repeater is listed as open so no real issue.
I just figured I'd ask so we don't crash into another net.
Maybe I could do a transmission sometime soon...just gotta get my antenna back up outside.
I'll keep everyone in the loop.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:03 pm

That would be great. I haven't tested my Baofeng UHF/VHF handheld with it, but a friend has also lent me his military-grade HF receiver which has a lot further range, however I missed the Basic A license by 1% so only have basic and can only listen on the HF currently....
0 x
HopeImReady

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Is there any particular day/time that works for everyone?
I was thinking of evening time...would work for the majority of people I would think.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:30 pm

I set up a website for the ham radio nets...
http://www.canadianpreppernetwork.com/hamnet
please note...that's prepper not preppers.

A few minutes before a net begins, a post under "current nets" will appear.
This post will give the topic of the net and for those who can hear, but can't or do not want to TX, a chat window will open.
You can check into the net, comment or ask questions in this chat.
The net controller will relay your text over the air.
You should log into the chat with your CPN username...the email address is not required.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Well aren't you the smart cookie. That's friggin great. My only problem might be timing. I have evening classes on mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays.
0 x

Return to “Communication & Tech”