• Advertisement

Walkie Talkies and Batteries

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
Markham

Walkie Talkies and Batteries

Postby Markham » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Hello, Hope this is in the right area.

Need some help with walkies and batteries.

I am using 4 different walkies. Motorola, GE, Audiovox and Baofeng (Baofeng have lithium batteries). The problem is I am trying to get away from normal Alkaline batteries and only use rechargeable batteries. I have now been testing Alkaline rechargeable and have found them to work very well. I can keep them in the walkies for over a year and they will still have 4 bars of power out 5 (which is very good). Also the Alkaline Rechargeable last just as long in the walkies as brand new AA Alkaline (test during camping). The normal Alkaline have been leaking on me over time which makes them worthless to stock pile. AAA seem to leak or degrade faster than the AA. Any suggestion on storing batteries?

But with the GE walkies (which are a very cheap brand but easy for the kids to use and can be dropped in the water and survive) do not want to start up with rechargeable batteries. But if I put normal alkaline batteries in the GE walkies and then take them out and immediately replace them with rechargeable batteries they will work. This make it impossible for me to stop buying regular alkaline batteries. Any suggestion on this problem?

Just adding info.. the reason I want rechargeable batteries is I have the solar panels up on the roof and can recharge the batteries for free now. The Baofeng for the cost are very good radios, their distance outside the house or car beats the Motorola but the do not work well from car to car. The GE seem to be the best for car to car, without jumping up to CB's.

Thanks in advance for any help.
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Re: Walkie Talkies and Batteries

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 am

How come you're not getting a couple extra power packs that the radios came from and trickle charging them from the solar panels? They last thousands of discharges, just like most rechargables, at least Midland and Motorola packs do. Motorola even makes USB charger ports now, so pretty much any solar system converter should be able to support them.

I don't know what range you're looking for, but I have some pretty old 23mi Motorolas and now a set of 35mi Motorolas, and the 30 mi Midlands, and don't have any problems with the cars degrading the signal - unless the HAM antenna is attached, which messes up the iPod signal through the radio, too. I rarely get the full distance out of any radio, but can usually get within 2-5mi of the long range promised with the Motorola and Midlands without using a copper line instead of the stubby. The Motorolas are pretty die hard - mud, Labrador fetching, bouncing down 3 flights of stairs, clutzy woman dropping and then stepping on them. I think the Midlands burn battery life a little more efficiently. The new Motorola hands-free is pretty nice, compared to the quality of the older ear buds and mics.
0 x

coinzero

Postby coinzero » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 am

consider this product it might change how you look at batteries; http://www.amazon.com/Viatek-Renu-It-Di ... ry+charger

also this one is good to http://www.amazon.com/Maximal-FC999-Uni ... y_pc_img_z

I consider it a scam that people keep believing that batteries are one time use objects; But I still closely watch this item while charging batteries and never leave the house while it is sitting there charging, but I also do that we any battery charger such as my cellphone and such, you just never know and some of these new lithium one's can have a thermo run away effect and over heat, but I have done so with the so called non-rechargeable AA ones since I was a kid, never burned down my parents house or anything. did have one blow up, and by that I mean start swelling up but not smoking. But that was with a really old charger not like this one. The biggest problem I see with battery is they are more likely to go bad or swell or whatever when going from very cold temps. to room temp and so on. Got a few D sized that popped out of the casing from my trail camera once i brought them into my house. I now put all my batterys in a plastic tray just in case. hope this has helped.

this is a cool solar battery charger but not for the alk ones; http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Powered-Bat ... _sim_hpc_5
0 x
Never underestimate the power of free! If someone has deemed something valueless, yet U see value in it; Then you've already made a profit and savings!

endangeredspecies

Postby endangeredspecies » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 pm

the best solution i found its to get hand crank dynamo and solar panel to recharge batterie on the go
also i got Audiovox GMRS1882CH Two Way Radios it has built in dynamy hand crank http://www.audiovoxproducts.com/search/?sku=GMRS1882CH
0 x

Bob Scott
Canada

Postby Bob Scott » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Solar panel-yes..but: Voltage level & Min-Amp output is a serious consideration for 1.2VDC, 12ah batterys, where most Solars are prducing 12VDC 2-120 AMP. There is a 12 battery DC splitter on the market I purchased one..still the output on all frequently used powersources is 2-3 AMPS --Far to much to re-charge AA, AAA,C and D Ni-Cad. I have been successful recharging Lithium using an accurate multi-meter and 1-24 VDC variabble power supply, without the lithium protection circuit but strict rules apply to prevent overcharge/Overheating and an explosion. But shit..they last double the time as equivalent Ni and all others except Sulphuric.
0 x

Bob Scott
Canada

Postby Bob Scott » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Just purchased a pair of Cobra ACXT545, Cadilacs for the price and rechargeable @ 5.4 volts..USB. Easily converted to Wall Adapter 120VAC or 12 VDC Inverter adapter. Shit they even come with a built-in flashlight. 22 channels with the ability to produce 121 privacy codes, Weather and Emergency Radio of all Government operated weather channels, Vibralert, Scan, Waterproof..Hands free operation option......and waterproof. May convert the two flat 2"x4" 3.7 Volt Lithium rechargeables as a back-up, no leakage and hold there charge for years.RANGE: 7 MILES OPEN; 4 MILES CITY and 3 MILES Bush.
Also purchased the COBRA MARINE MH125 Handheld. Up to 70 Mile range..w/home made concave reflector add 30 miles Out and Input. All the weather features as the above and much more. Lighter-plug Charger (lit when connection is secure. Just magnificent emergency marine HANDHELD. my sib IS ready, with two Deep Cycle 12VDC, lights, bildge pump both electric ^60 lb MinKotta and Mercury 9.9 powered engine with two tanks...Designed and built an OverBoard switch that should I fall overboard during the crisis..just press a lapel or wrist wan button and either motor will stop and an SOS high intensity sos light automatically turns on-good especially in darkness...lol. Insulated waterproof tent on board as well. Just havbe to get the right deal on a 12.6 VDC Soar panel @ 7 amps for recharger..not enough room for my generator. OH Warning: I'm not convinced LED Lighting will stand-up to an EMP attack from a possibly coming Solor Ejection..so will be adding incandescent lights sis by side to the bo/stern and internal lights as a precaution..just hit secondary swicth (DPDT) and LEDs are powered down and Incandescence turn-on.
0 x

Return to “Communication & Tech”