• Advertisement

Does CB Radio Still Exist?

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
colonelchimp
Great Britain

Re: Does CB Radio Still Exist?

Postby colonelchimp » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Nagol wrote:About 14 months ago I heard a guy getting shot for chatter on 9. So someone was still listening back then.

I have to find somewhere to remount mine, thinking about drilling into the new truck makes me cringe tho.

theres loads of places to mount the antenna that don't drill into the truck, gutter mounts just clamp on, so do mirror mounts or the usual spare wheel rack mount so popular with jeepers or a magnetic mount placed on the cab roof or fender or bumper will do the trick, (quick tip for magmpunts....cover the base that touches the roof with felt or a soft material) that way the paint doesnt get scratched when you move it or if it gets knocked by a branch etc, as for inside the cab, mounting the "rig" or actual cb, for those who arent as old as me and remember the convoy film haha, you dont need to drill, to get the antenna wire inside, you can....run it through the door opening, the rubber will seal around it and it wont affect the closing of the door, or find a rubber grommet that comes into the vehicle cab and ease the wire through that, or there are glass mount antennas that stick on the glass, and the signal goes through the glass from the outer antenna to the inner pick up ,,,so thats the antenna, ...power well thats as simple as wiring in a radio so wont insult you by
going over that, mounting the cb itself without drilling holes, can be anything from wedging it between the seat cushions, to putting it out of site in the glove box, or if you have an overhead compartment put it there, Mine...is mounted inside a steel ammo box wit the stereo so that when i leave the vehicle the lid can be closed keeping people from seeing what goodies are in my vehicle, to mount the ammo box i used 2 flat steel L brackets bolted to existing bolts on the seat frame and the box bolted to them..no holes drilled BOOM job done hahah, hope this helps,
0 x

Nagol
Canada

Postby Nagol » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 am

Its a 2016 ram. A whole lot of plastic and not much real truck. I have a couple of fire sticks floating around that I will find some way to mount. Just gotta wait for less winter. Lol
1 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:31 am

I think CB died the minute the uv5r was born. That said....

Denob, you have any suggestions for a truck mounted, cheap, uv5r equivalent that is uhf/vhf?
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:23 pm

jonesy wrote:I think CB died the minute the uv5r was born. That said....

Denob, you have any suggestions for a truck mounted, cheap, uv5r equivalent that is uhf/vhf?

Why, yes I do!
Prepper Radios has a 25 watt mobile dual band unit in the $150 range.

http://prepperradios.ca/store/xcart/qyt-kt8900-dual-band-mobile-radio.html
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm not surprised you did , LOL....

Looks like a good freq spread in the 2m and .7 M bands. Will check it out!

Jonesy
0 x
One is none, two is one.

RU Really
Canada

Postby RU Really » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 am

CB still exsists. Many of the old timers in the US still use AM. But if one wants to increase their chances of being heard in an emergency on CB, they'll need to familiarize themselves with the SSB (Single Side Band) aspect of CB. As far as RFI goes, it's quieter, you legally get 12 watts, and there is far more traffic on SSB when conditions are right. CB, on the AM side is still of some use locally as has been mentioned, but much less range. I've had similar difficulties finding local call channels on AM, but here on the Island, just a couple of weeks ago, I was chatting with Alberta and Alaska in the same evening on 38 LSB. While hunting, I've talked to Ireland, Italy, Australia and others from the mobile in my truck. It helped that I was up on the mountain, and there was favourable solar activity, but that's not happening on AM.
There are some excellent, well built old radios out there if you know what to look for, and where to find them for cheap cheap. I also think that if you have one in your vehicle, you should have a base station at home as well. There are a few of us up here who are fairly well equipped in this regard.

RU
1 x

Nagol
Canada

Postby Nagol » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm

A whole lot of tech I know nothing about. One more topic to research....
1 x

RU Really
Canada

Postby RU Really » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Nagol, it isn't really 'one more topic to research'. The theory is all the same in radio. If you wish to use ANY radio to its full potential, especially in SHTF, research will be necessary. Ham is more expensive, and if you want to be legal to transmit, you'll be doing alot of research. CB is an excellent intro to two way radio communications, and it's so cheap that if you wreck some equipment, you hardly feel it. But to each their own.

RU
1 x

Return to “Communication & Tech”