• Advertisement

EMP Bags

(Radio's), (GPS), (Faraday Cages), (Other Technology)
CanCricket
Canada

EMP Bags

Postby CanCricket » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:38 pm

I've seen bags online which claim to protect against EMP. Thoughts one way or the other? Are they worth the money? They're not hugely expensive, so I thought they might be a good addition to my supplies. I've also heard that Mylar bags accomplish the same thing. Is that true?
0 x

peppercorn

Re: EMP Bags

Postby peppercorn » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:24 pm

CanCricket wrote:I've seen bags online which claim to protect against EMP. Thoughts one way or the other? Are they worth the money?

You can test this yourself. What is EMP? "electro-magnetic pulse" sooooo....does a mylar bag or theses anti static bags(I am assuming as you don't say the name of them) stop magnetically induced voltages? Take a big barbeque type scoop...the name escapes me but the thing that's like two big spoons spring loaded and facing each other. Put a neo mag on each of the spoons facing inward, north pole facing in on one, south pole facing in on the other. Now take a multi meter set it on AC, wrap one of the multimeter leads into a loose coil, maybe just a half dozen turns and place the coil part inside the bag with the loose end coming out of the bag and clipped onto the other lead so that you now have a series cct with a coil in it.like as pictured,
DSC02165.JPG
DSC02165.JPG (76.35 KiB) Viewed 212 times

Hold the bag in the air and quickly swipe the "Tongs" (that was the name I forgot), one over the top of the bag and the other on the underside of the bag. Watch the meter as this magnetic field is drug across the bag and coil.....is a voltage pulse induced....if yes its a scam, if no it will likely work.
Last edited by peppercorn on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:19 pm

Is this what you mean?

https://www.uline.ca/BL_52/Static-Shiel ... tic%20Bags

If so then your local computer shop or even your IT person at work could be a free source of them. Provided of course they pass Peppercorn's tong test.
1 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:12 am

Thanks, scrounger. That's the exact product I've seen advertised online as protection against EMPs, but for a much higher price!
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I hadn't been aware that these bags are now being peddled as Emp faraday cages :roll: , I shouldn't be surprised people will claim anything to make a buck. I watched a couple of you tube vids from these peddlers...to funny....At least it isn't actually harmful, and there are worse things to spend your money on...They should add "Tactical" to the name, bet they would sell more. I think of this when I watch such vids, Spinal tap, its work safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sRhuh8Aphc

Or from the past, The Turbo Encabulator...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Here is why I find those vids on you tube nonsense...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroma ... s_edit.svg

Note that when they show a cell phone signal being lost ( on those you tube vids), that's true but that's at low power level, microwave frequencies, look where microwave frequencies are on the electromagnetic spectrum. Its for practical purposes at the beginning of the band (left hand side) The real peak damaging spike (E1) happens in Nano seconds That's 10 to the -9th.That time frame is near the x ray spectrum on the right hand side of the band, and stopping or directing microwaves is childs play its done in your microwave...its nothing to be impressed about. If you did the magnet test you would see those bags do nothing to stop magnetically induced voltages, nothing at all. The magnetic component is 50 percent of a em burst.
Those bags will attenuate up to "VERY LOW power" microwave frequencies. That's not a bad thing but its a hell of a stretch to try and peddle them as emp proof bags.
I couldn't sell them as such, but then again there are things I wont do for money, and I will do most anything for a buck.
If you watch any of those vids on you tube of these people being impressed by blocking a cell signal....consider this, depending what room I am in, in my basement, I loose my cell signal, does this mean I can advertise my house as being emp resistant? Would you take me serious if I did?
The cell signal transmiting from a tower is somewhere below 500 milliwatts...very low power, maybe half that by the time it gets to your phone....very easy to stop...things like wifi...even easier to stop, from memory something like 40 to 50 milliwatts in power (but wide bandwidth), all the power needed to broadcast throughout a house..but not a lot more,.... just nothing at all to block such low power levels....I don't know how they can do those vids and keep a straight face.......don't be fooled...
1 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Bob Scott
Canada

Postby Bob Scott » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Platic-wrapped my NOAA device and other things..wrapped them in three individual layers of heavy gauge aluminum foil. For larger items, I purchased a $16.00 Metal garbage can,, modified the lid with a spring-loaded piece of old water-hose-wrapped with aluminum screening to endsure a seal from the lid-edge to the can. Triple sealed all handle opening with foil using duck tape on the OUTSIDE edge of the foil. Carboard insulated the inside.
Holds a lot and will do the job. Oh..there's a program APP (free) that can be installed on your cell phone,,the pro-model app (cheap) also has an alarm monitor.
1 x

Bob Scott
Canada

Postby Bob Scott » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 pm

By the way.. I came across a very interesting utube Nemesis article yesterday..aparently the mag-pull and interaction will be so strong it may effect the human brain..now looking around for 18x18" 1/32 roll of lead sheeting to build into a full helmet.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:33 am

I put my EMP-vulnerable things (Ham radio, emergency radio, etc) in a small fireproof safe. There's not much room, but I think it would work pretty well.
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “Communication & Tech”