• Advertisement

Motomaster eliminator question

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
oldschool
Canada

Motomaster eliminator question

Postby oldschool » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:58 am

I have a motomaster eliminator power box with a power pack inverter 1200w with 60 ah battery. There are so many warning in the owners guide that it's making me a little nervous. I was hoping to charge it and take it to my mom's in case of a power outage. Her portable oxygen tanks only last a total of 6 hours.

I don't know how to calculate how long the "plug in" oxygen machine would run with the battery or if it is even safe to do so.

Any comments, thoughts or advice would be appreciated
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Re: Motomaster eliminator question

Postby Perfesser » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:39 am

Just look at the oxy machine. Someplace it will say what it's power draw is. If it's less than 1200w then you can plug it in, might be in amps also. Power (watts) is amps x volts. It will only run 1200w safely for about 15 min though.

Your battery is 60ah (amp/hours at 12v I think) so 10 amps for 6 hours, 5 amps for 12 hrs but a battery can't be fully discharged. Figure on 50% or you'll kill the battery.
Post the power draw for the oxy machine and I'm sure I can get you an answer. Might be on the machine itself or possibly the wall wart plug(if it has one).
If it's 240w = 12v x 20a = 3 hrs and 50% of that = 1.5 hrs

For a 12 - Volt inverter system, each 100 Watts of the inverter load requires approximately 10 DC Amps from the battery.
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:31 am

Our inverters beep when the batteries have 55% left in them. LOVE that feature.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:45 am

Thank you. I guess that means I will be taking her to the hospital if the power goes out. The battery wouldn't run long enough.
0 x

blueflash

Postby blueflash » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Do you still have the instruction manual & box ? I have one, and it gives a good idea of how long it will run different things. I could scan and email you the info if you need. You just need to know how many watts you are using.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:52 am

These machines aren't exactly made to be efficient. Few are.
I have one of the battery packs, maybe a tad bigger but it's good for running a CFL or LED bulb (10-20w) and a radio for 6-8 hrs and not much more, maybe recharge a phone.
You could look for an inverter that hooks up to you car battery from CT. You may have to start and run the car regularly or maybe even idle if it's a high draw item.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:56 am

blueflash wrote:Do you still have the instruction manual & box ? I have one, and it gives a good idea of how long it will run different things. I could scan and email you the info if you need. You just need to know how many watts you are using.

Thank you for the offer. The main reason I was worried about how long it would last was for my mom. She is on oxygen full time and can not change the canisters on her portable unit. However the Canadian Cancer Society just gave mom a new small portable oxygen unit that has and attachment to plug into the car. It is small enough that she can use it without my help. It is also light enough that she can lift it on her own.

The only other thing that I would need it for would be for my tanks, both fish and bearded dragons. In which case I would be rotating between several of them.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:57 am

Perfesser wrote:These machines aren't exactly made to be efficient. Few are.
I have one of the battery packs, maybe a tad bigger but it's good for running a CFL or LED bulb (10-20w) and a radio for 6-8 hrs and not much more, maybe recharge a phone.
You could look for an inverter that hooks up to you car battery from CT. You may have to start and run the car regularly or maybe even idle if it's a high draw item.

I still have no clue about "inverters" etc even after spending hours reading up on this stuff.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Any inverter takes 12V DC power and converts it to 115V AC power that you can plug in any household appliance. All it needs is a 12V DC source. Car battery, solar recharged batteries, car battery charging system - it doesn't matter as long as you have one with enough capacity for continuous use, not just peak load. Motors have a peak or startup load when they start and a continuous load when running.
Today's cars have quite large alternators (a 12V DC source), I'll guess 60 amps on the small side, 100 as an average. That kind of draw on a battery would drain it fast but you could do that as long as you have fuel in the tank.
A big inverter will have large cables that connect right to the battery cables, not a cigarette lighter plug.
More info here:
http://www.solar1234.com/ look for How to Power Your House from Your Car with an Inverter - maybe listen to the podcast
0 x

alfredalfred

Postby alfredalfred » Wed May 11, 2016 11:23 am

I'm sure I can get you an answer. Might be on the machine itself or possibly the wall wart plug(if it has one).
If it's 240w = 12v x 20a = 3 hrs and 50% of that = 1.5 hrs
0 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”