• Advertisement

Storage of Small Coleman Propane Tanks

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
livingpower

Storage of Small Coleman Propane Tanks

Postby livingpower » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi all. I am wondering the best place to store these small Coleman propane tanks, the ones that screw onto a camp stove. I do not have a lot of storage options. I have the main floor and second floor of the house I rent and no basement. There is a detached garage that is not insulated. And there is outside. Temperature in the winter is obviously cold, very much do this winter, even in S. ON., and always well below zero every winter. I have them inside right now, have for quite some time without any problems. I want to stock a few more, to be used in emergencies. Any advice would be appreciated.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Re: Storage of Small Coleman Propane Tanks

Postby Perfesser » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:03 pm

They should be in a dry place for the long term and not too hot. You don't want little rust particles from the threaded area plugging up little valves or especially keeping them from closing fully.
Too hot, like attic hot, and you could pop one of the overpressure valves.
Instead of buying many why not look into a refilling fitting? Those little bottles are crazy expensive. Legally you can't transport refilled bottles (I think) but on site refilling from a BBQ or larger tank should be OK.
Or an adapter fitting to run the stove off a BBQ sized bottle. Or both.
0 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Garage is fine. Keep them off the floor and dry.
0 x

Joe_O
Canada

Postby Joe_O » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:06 am

You don't need to stock up on these, they re too expensive. You can REFILL them. Mos people don't know it and they just throw them out But you can get a adapter valve, easily found on Ebay, that allows you to refill them from the standard 20 lb tank that is common to most BBQ's.
Cost to refill them this way is super inexpensive.
0 x

Joe_O
Canada

Postby Joe_O » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:09 am

Here is an example of the adapter. I know when I bought mine, 2 of them, I paid a lot less than this one though.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Onlyfire-Univers ... Swa-dWmpUz
0 x

Bob Scott
Canada

Postby Bob Scott » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:01 am

Talk with Coleman. I have six of them and keep them in a box, also three Butane and two new 20lb Propane tanks. Keep'm dry and away from heat sources. The canisters PPN & Btn..keep the seal-caps on..if there's a leak the caps will partly pop-up.
0 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”