• Advertisement

Has Anyone Tried or Considered a Solar Generator?

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Has Anyone Tried or Considered a Solar Generator?

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:12 am

I think any listed above could lift and carry it a short distance (like around a house). The built in light would be useful to use to light up a small area as a work light, such as when jump starting a car or changing a tire. I wouldn't count on it to light up a room; but then again, this is why I said I bought LED lightbulbs.

I'm not much of a multifunction kind of guy because typically, you lose on quality. But for this unit, everything seems to work as one could expect.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:02 am

So, I've finally decided to purchase a solar panel to work with the power pack. Amazon had a decent folding 100W with charge controller, so I should get a nice box delivered by UPS sometimes Monday. Next would be to purchase additional deep cycle battery(ies) and connect everything together for more power / longer use.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:55 pm

In case anybody cares, this is a decent emergency setup. It can't power large appliances or a sump pump though. Stressed tested the powerpack by plugging in 2x 60W lightbulbs to see how long it would last (in reality, I have 100w equivalent LED bulbs I would use) and got 3 hours out of it. I recharged the pack with the 100W PV panel. After about 2 hours of mostly overcast skies and 2 hours of full sun, the powerpack was fully charged.

Next step, another deep cycle battery...
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:51 am

When you look at the box , it's weight and size, just think how much battery is actually in there. Not much. Fast recharge with that 100w panel.
They're useful though and for not too much weight they supply a decent amount of power. A pair of 100w equivalent LED bulbs would probably last 5x as long as your pair of 60's.

The battery in the one I have is getting tired after about 5 years, won't hold much of a charge anymore but I'm going to see what I can find in a generic replacement battery.
0 x

Bstew33

Postby Bstew33 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:33 pm

I've built my own portable solar generators way cheaper then a lot of the ones mass produced out there. Was enough to power my 27' travel trailer without needing a gas generator. Was a 100 w foldable panel. 1000w inverter and 1200w battery. Was just a crude set up but was on wheels and was easy to pack around. I'm looking into building them with nicer looking boxes and such but it worked great for what I needed for and was cheaper than when I looked at becoming a dealer for a lot of these company's selling there own kits. If anyone is interested in more info send me a message.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:03 am

Just thought I'd pin this here, but I see on Amazon.ca that the Duracell power pack is 21% off right now... https://www.amazon.ca/Duracell-DR600PWR ... 1EQAQB2GHE
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:35 am

I would swear that looks exactly like the ones for sale at Costco (south Side) for 98 dollars.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 am

peppercorn wrote:I would swear that looks exactly like the ones for sale at Costco (south Side) for 98 dollars.

If they're $98 at Costco, I'll have to go get a 2nd one. Well worth it. Especially I can charge them with solar panel.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:41 am

That Costco is only a couple blocks from Princess Auto...
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

DougM
Canada

Postby DougM » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:05 pm

I wanted to "walk the talk" so I built a solar powered outhouse. Light, continuous fan, and I'm working on rainwater collection with solar heating for the sink, pressurized. The sink is cold only water from the cabin system at present. The fan blows in. The odor goes down and out a high vent. System is a 15W panel, charge controller and large case 12V battery.
0 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”