• Advertisement

Has Anyone Tried or Considered a Solar Generator?

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
Goldie
Canada

Re: Has Anyone Tried or Considered a Solar Generator?

Postby Goldie » Mon May 04, 2015 3:19 am

You are actually WISE to be thinking solar. Even if it took a few days to recharge the solar generator ,
or recharge this CrappyT battery thing,
in a situation where there is zero power. You would welcome that power every few days. It surprises me that
more people are not thinking about when the fuel runs out.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Mon May 04, 2015 2:55 pm

Try this link...
http://solar1234.com/
listen to all the interviews, but particularly the one about solar power for a chicken coop...
very simple system, may help you figure out some math.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 pm

helicopilot wrote:Assuming I buy one of those car boosting thing with an inverter, how can I figure how much solar I can plug into? Is there a math formula for this? I would like to use either the car of even the generator (while it runs big stuff) to charge it, but like Goldie said, it may come to a point where fuel is scarce or I wouldn't want to make noise so solar would be the option.

For charging 12v batteries you want a solar panel that puts out 12v, don't mix voltages. On any solar setup you'll need a charge controller to prevent overcharging (that will boil your battery dry and ruin it).
The basics
The very simple formula for this kind of stuff is watts=volts x amps.
So a simple old style 100 watt light bulb running on house current of 110 volts gives us a draw of about .9 amps. 100w= 110v x .9amps
Run the same bulb with an inverter off 12v and things change fast.
100w= 12v x 9 amps ...... 10 times the amperage(actually a bit more - anytime you convert there are losses)
Use this formula to determine the draw of any device rated in watts.
Battery draw
Run the same bulb off your 12v setup (your small battery box with a 33Ah battery) and you'll be drawing 10 amps - your battery should be dead in 3.3 hours. 10 amps x 3.3 hours = 33Ah
Less really, there are losses and you never want to drain your battery to dead - 50% is better. Say 1.5 hours.

Charging
Most cars have at least a 60 amp alternator for charging. Home battery chargers might be 30 amps max. or 6 to 10 amps normal charging.

Using the formula, watts = volts(12) x amps (10) gives you 120 watts.
So a panel of 120 watts will charge your battery at 10 amps under perfect conditions that you will almost never see. Figure half that.
So for charging a single 12v battery in about the same time as your car or a plug in charger at home you need 200 to 300 watts of panels.
If you can wait a bit longer a single 150w panel is fine.

You can also look online for a battery charging calculator that will give you some better numbers. Most I've seen use milli-amp hours. No sweat, milli is a prefix that means 1000. 1000milliamps = 1 amp
You know your battery rating, lets say it's 33Ah(33,000 mAh) and lets say you're charging at 10 amps (or 10,000 mA)
The pure math says the battery will charge in 3.3 hours (10000mA x 3.3 hrs = 33A/hr) But there are losses close to 10% when charging so the actual charge time will be about 3.6 hours.
https://www.easycalculation.com/physics ... charge.php

That solar1234 website is the best info you'll find for this kind of stuff including actual product recommendations.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks perfesser!
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:30 am

Still on the fence with no solar generator yet.
0 x

tradesman

Postby tradesman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Solar power can
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:00 am

Well, I've started working on a power alternative by purchasing a Duracell 600 Power Pack Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-600-Watt ... racell+600). With time, I'll get a solar panel for it, but for now I can keep it charged with 110V household power or through the 12V in the truck.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:24 am

How did you come to decide on the Duracell Brand ?

Canadian link for amazon
http://www.amazon.ca/Duracell-600-Watt- ... racell+600
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Frankly, it was the positive reviews and the price point. I haven't bought a solar panel for it yet, but will soon. I've already used it 3 times to jumpstart vehicles, so it's been pretty useful already. I've bought a couple of LED lightbulbs so I can use table lamps to light up an area without draining the battery. I've also purchased a double-male end cord so I can charge the device Ina vehicle.

In addition to the solar panel, I might purchase a bigger deep cycle battery that I could connect using the jump cables. That battery would be charged through the Power Pack Pro and would add to the power available.

Not quite the system to run a whole house on, but small, portable, cheap and to a certain extent, customizable.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Portable is a PLUS . how heavy is it for a female ? how about for a 12 year old child ? how about for the elderly ?

The built in led light is a plus, and the air compressor is also great . Could use it just for those if there is
no disaster . HOW GOOD is the light in it ?

I added to my amazon cart so I can watch for a price decrease easily. :)
0 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”