• Advertisement

Joi Lighting

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
oldschool
Canada

Joi Lighting

Postby oldschool » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:41 am

One of the things that I picked up was a JOI Lamp

The JOI Lamp transforms candle heat into LED light!
JOI uses the same thermoelectric technology as Ecofans to transform the energy of a tea light candle into enough light to illuminate your night. Within minutes, JOI begins to convert the heat of the candle into more than 100 times the light generated by the tea light alone.

https://youtu.be/ApHP-020m1M
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Re: Joi Lighting

Postby oldschool » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:05 am

Loving the Joi light. I have been so thrilled with it that I have started to take it over the the neighbours to show them. I had no idea that the heat from a simple tea light could heat (do what ever it does) to power LED lights. I am wondering if I can buy them in bulk for a better price on behalf of my neighbours
0 x

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:40 am

I just watched the Youtube video, found a couple more, and I am really surprised at how much more light you can generate, from a single tea candle. That *is* impressive stuff. I'm kinda set back by the price though, seeing $130 list on Amazon.ca, tonight... pretty steep. I'll have to take a look at the change jar, see if there are a few extra twonies in it.
Thanks for making me aware of it.
0 x

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:36 am

So I found it on Amazon.ca for $90 the other day (still there AOTW http://www.amazon.ca/Caframo-Limited-Candle-Powered-Lamp/dp/B007U2AYG6 ) , impulsively clicked the purchase button. Haven't received it yet, and still feel a tad guilty about spending $90 on a light, but the thought of using a tea candle to cut the darkness for a few hours really appeals to me. Canadian made (or designed?) too, which I also really like.

In my current grid-tied dwelling, I run a couple of 1-watt LED bulbs 24/7, to provide "just enough" light to make it to the coffee pot in the AM, or to the bedroom at night, and it is surprising just how well 1 watt of LED light cuts the darkness. I'm pretty sure the Joi light will be more than adequate, to keep me from stubbing my toe/face.

I'm curious, have you tried burning beeswax tea candles in it? I know the peltier device & heatsink are designed for paraffin wax tea lights, but I'm wondering if beeswax will provide an appropriate amount of heat as well. I think beeswax burns a tad cooler. What kind of burn times have you been getting with normal tea candles?

*Edit Nov 29/2015*
Well, it arrived and I fired it this morning. Very cool, what an increase in light versus just the candle burning. It is quite a bit dimmer than my 1-watt LEDs, but it still handily cuts the darkness. I can read standardtype on a legal-size sheet of paper from 2m away. It really works best as local light, aimed at a tabletop nearby - like their videos show - but would let you navigate a cluttered room at night without difficulty, too.
I had difficulty lighting it the first time, as the supplied tea candle's wick curled down, and wouldn't burn hot enough (not enough exposed wick, I suspect). I made a better effort to straighten the next wick, swapped candles, and it then lit the LEDs in about 30 seconds.
The supplied tea candles are the taller, 1.5cm aluminum dishes. I have a bunch of the shallower 1.0cm candles, so I stacked three twonies underneath the dish and lit it. It worked pretty well, lit the LEDs up. I did notice that the candle flame burned low for a while, twice, and at that point, did not supply enough heat to keep the LEDs going, but once the flame picked up again, the lights stayed shining. I suspect it was the wick burning off a bit, then having to consume enough wax to get a good flame up again.
Neat stuff.
0 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”