So I found it on Amazon.ca for $90 the other day (still there AOTW http://www.amazon.ca/Caframo-Limited-Candle-Powered-Lamp/dp/B007U2AYG6
) , impulsively clicked the purchase button. Haven't received it yet, and still feel a tad guilty about spending $90 on a light, but the thought of using a tea candle to cut the darkness for a few hours really appeals to me. Canadian made (or designed?) too, which I also really like.
In my current grid-tied dwelling, I run a couple of 1-watt LED bulbs 24/7, to provide "just enough" light to make it to the coffee pot in the AM, or to the bedroom at night, and it is surprising just how well 1 watt of LED light cuts the darkness. I'm pretty sure the Joi light will be more than adequate, to keep me from stubbing my toe/face.
I'm curious, have you tried burning beeswax tea candles in it? I know the peltier device & heatsink are designed for paraffin wax tea lights, but I'm wondering if beeswax will provide an appropriate amount of heat as well. I think beeswax burns a tad cooler. What kind of burn times have you been getting with normal tea candles?
*Edit Nov 29/2015*
Well, it arrived and I fired it this morning. Very cool, what an increase in light versus just the candle burning. It is quite a bit dimmer than my 1-watt LEDs, but it still handily cuts the darkness. I can read standardtype on a legal-size sheet of paper from 2m away. It really works best as local light, aimed at a tabletop nearby - like their videos show - but would let you navigate a cluttered room at night without difficulty, too.
I had difficulty lighting it the first time, as the supplied tea candle's wick curled down, and wouldn't burn hot enough (not enough exposed wick, I suspect). I made a better effort to straighten the next wick, swapped candles, and it then lit the LEDs in about 30 seconds.
The supplied tea candles are the taller, 1.5cm aluminum dishes. I have a bunch of the shallower 1.0cm candles, so I stacked three twonies underneath the dish and lit it. It worked pretty well, lit the LEDs up. I did notice that the candle flame burned low for a while, twice, and at that point, did not supply enough heat to keep the LEDs going, but once the flame picked up again, the lights stayed shining. I suspect it was the wick burning off a bit, then having to consume enough wax to get a good flame up again.