• Advertisement

Spiral Water Pumps

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
Danux
Canada

Spiral Water Pumps

Postby Danux » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:05 am

Been researching spiral coil water pumps, on and off, lately. They look like an excellent solution to pumping water from moderate/meager sources of flowing water.
http://lurkertech.com/water/pump/tailer/

I was thinking that I would like to be able to pump stream water to a vessel/dugout on the top of a hill, for irrigation and grey water supply, but that the height of the hill is greater than the capacity of one of these wheels' ability to lift.
I wondered if I put a tank halfway up the hill and filled it, then ran piping back down to, say, a second coil pump of identical capacity (which would operate sealed) inlet side, and piping from the outlet side to a tank higher up the hill, if the head pressure generated by the coil pump would lift the water to that next tank?

I assume the head pressure running down length of pipe, from the first vessel through the pump coil and back up to the height of the first tank's water level, would balance/equalize, so I'm wondering if the pressure generated by the second pump increases the total pressure on the second stage, allowing me to push water higher, or, if I have to generate enough pressure at that second pump to lift against the absolute head pressure at the high tank? Or maybe this type of pump does not work under that circumstance?

0 x

villager
Canada

Re: Spiral Water Pumps

Postby villager » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:56 am

Great find! I guess you could coil your own around wired cage , with 1 1/4" waterpipe....make yer own scoop, and use a stainless steel swivel coupling in the middle. wonder how long it would last.
I'm guessing you would lose a bit to atmospheric pressure in altitude stages.
How does it compare to a more compact ram pump ....pros/cons - build time.?
Keep us posted.
You may also know of Schauberger's work with water. ..made many unique observations. I believe one of them is that water can be purified/energized/ restructured , by running it thru piping with a spiral pattern inside. I think this is now available in Switzerland.
0 x

Danux
Canada

Re: Spiral Water Pumps

Postby Danux » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 am

I got a PM suggesting I look at ram pumps, they look like a much better solution. I think the spiral coil pump would work well in, say, a deep, slow moving creek/river, where you can use large paddles to create big torque. Ram pumps look like they are capable of lifting water higher, I think, and they are much smaller systems - you could build one and hide it pretty easily, whereas a water wheel of any real capacity is going to draw all kinds of attention.

I won't have a chance to work my stream until next summer, earliest, maybe not for a couple of summers, unfortunately. But, some rough guesses figure about 5m of vertical drop on the supply side, and I need to raise it about 60m. Based on what I've ready, that should be doable with a ram pump. If not, I can always do it in two stages with two separate systems - pump it to a vessel halfway up, then drain that into another ram pump which takes a portion of the water higher, try and recoup the losses of the second system back into first supply line, or collect it for irrigating crops lower on the hillside.

Am not familiar with Schauberger, I'll take a gander - it would be nice to be able to purify water with the power of a stream. That spiral keeps showing up...

0 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”