• Advertisement

solar panel array

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
peppercorn

solar panel array

Postby peppercorn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:51 am

Been busy with building raised beds/planting, but found time to weld up a free standing tracking frame for a 8 panel array, for a fellow. I have built this type before so it goes pretty quick (already made my mistakes)....was just thinking since I have my equipment ...welders/chop saw/ fab table/ all set up, if someone has their panels and wants to copy my design.. PM me to set up time, and you can bring your panels over and your welcome to copy my design, will take about 10 straight hours to fab up...you supply the steel. limited time offer as this soon wont be here to copy, as it will be taken to another site .
DSC01581.JPG
DSC01581.JPG (82.91 KiB) Viewed 966 times

base from old oilfield pipe (price was right I think).

DSC01585.JPG
DSC01585.JPG (68.37 KiB) Viewed 966 times

This design describes roughly a 220-240 degree arc. I can supply you with steel dimensions, and places to buy if you don't have steel. Likely 400.00 dollars total, cheap considering what you would pay for a commercial one, and you can harvest power from sun up to sun down.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

HopeImReady
Canada

Re: solar panel array

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Wow, kudos :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed May 04, 2016 6:54 pm

So.... I have built these driven by v belt pulley, by chain drive (better) but I am using a trailer jack as the actuator for this one. On sale at Princess auto for 44 dollars. It has 15 inches of travel and is rated for 5000 pounds, likely 4500 more pounds than I need :D I think I will use these if I build any more.The price is right
DSC01588.JPG
DSC01588.JPG (61.46 KiB) Viewed 806 times
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sun May 08, 2016 6:36 am

These panels are from the year 2001 And the panels were bought used so could have been 2, maybe 4 years old. so a reasonable quess is 17-18 year old panels. He got tired of having to climb the roof to sweep the snow off them, so this ground mount array will make keeping the snow off easy.
DSC01600.JPG
DSC01600.JPG (43.83 KiB) Viewed 757 times

can only work on this in the evening, as its been to hot in the day. I think I will give these panels a load test after I get them hooked up, should be interesting to see how they are performing after 20 years (almost).
Last edited by peppercorn on Thu May 12, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Tue May 10, 2016 4:39 am

UPS came today, I got a new crimper for the MC connectors, if anyone is doing their own system and near by, you can borrow mine, saves you having to buy a crimper for a one off.
DSC01611.JPG
DSC01611.JPG (72.23 KiB) Viewed 725 times
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri May 20, 2016 5:34 am

I have to have this delivered for Tuesday. Surprised no one was interested. well built with two axis of movement. Only 400.00 in steel roughly. I don't belive you could buy any thing comparable for less than 3Grand, maybe 4 ,Last Chance,its a long weekend, Pm me in the AM, and I can tell you were to get the steel, pick it up Friday and you can be at my place Saturday and we will knock one off Saturday (a long Saturday,Excluding mounting panels onto it) you can come back Sunday for doing that. ill provide the rod and welder/ cut off saws, You provide refreshments...Bavaria beer from Holland, or Johny walker black, or Ron Zacapa rum.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri May 20, 2016 4:12 pm

peppercorn wrote:I have to have this delivered for Tuesday. Surprised no one was interested. well built with two axis of movement. Only 400.00 in steel roughly. I don't belive you could buy any thing comparable for less than 3Grand, maybe 4 ,Last Chance,its a long weekend, Pm me in the AM, and I can tell you were to get the steel, pick it up Friday and you can be at my place Saturday and we will knock one off Saturday (a long Saturday,Excluding mounting panels onto it) you can come back Sunday for doing that. ill provide the rod and welder/ cut off saws, You provide refreshments...Bavaria beer from Holland, or Johny walker black, or Ron Zacapa rum.

It's not the lack of interest!!! If only I was around...
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri May 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Its not likely my last build, if I do another I will give you a heads up with a pm.
0 x

The Canadian Giant
Topic Leader

Postby The Canadian Giant » Sun May 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Thank you for your generousity. This is something that I may have been interested in had time been in more abundance than at present. We have a bank of 10 panels that I manually change the angle on twice/year. Winter setting and summer setting. But flexibility, that would be a bonus.

At present our panels are disconnected awaiting our new meter from good ole Fortis on our new location.
0 x
Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

Return to “Alternative Energy”