• Advertisement

No batteries

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
peppercorn

Re: No batteries

Postby peppercorn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:57 am

Ok another thing that runs off my buss just fine, and that's Sewing Machines. I snaped a pic of the data plate, this ones from the 1970s. everything used to say 120 vac and 120 vdc back in the old days, now that everything everywhere is 120 vac they don't say, but that doesn't mean they don't run fine on DC, and there was so little sun out today that I couldn't see a shadow but my buss easily runs this 1 amp load no problem at all.
IMG_20161005_1456516411.jpg
IMG_20161005_1456516411.jpg (20.89 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Now should someone else try this with newer sewing machines due be aware, that the motor will run fine, but I don't know about the newer speed control petals say from 1990 onward.....I suspect many are solid state control now and They may function either off or full on when using DC .just something to be aware of.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:14 am

Of course my meat slicer works just fine off the DC buss.
DSC00544.JPG
DSC00544.JPG (86.17 KiB) Viewed 252 times

I might have shrunk the pic to much but it says115 volts 7 amps dc, 8 amps ac on the data plate.
DSC00546.JPG
DSC00546.JPG (104.27 KiB) Viewed 252 times

That kind of invites the question why would it draw more current on AC? any guesses? am I the only one who wonders about these things?I am cursed with a curious mind and a small wallet.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:40 am

I thought people might find this interesting, A guy trying to power a toaster....it doesn't go well, they say it is a 700 watt load... I find that hard to believe as I don't think I have seen any newer type toasters under 1000 -1200 watts, and look at the waste, they are making the guy power up a empty slot, Half his energy is going to nothing, I know if they disabled the other half of the toaster he could have done it no problem! Also if you go to buy a new toaster all most all off them have the slots so wide so they can advertise that you can toast bagels and muffins, this means the coils are so wide apart that they have to throw more wattage into the slot just to toast ordinary bread.Something to think about how waste full we are with power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:58 am

So as a update I can say this Buss is still performing well, right into the short winter days, water is being heated fine, and I also have extra power for running electric cooking elements, only problem is fewer hours of use during these short days. sun is out mostly 8.5am to 5 pm right now, with about 5 hrs of that range having enough solar energy to drive the buss hard.
But this has now given me a rough idea as to what is capable.....Capable in a rough estimate way. I cant do this in my home as my basement floor is poured, but for someone doing a new pour on a basement..run a resistive grid through the concrete. I would go with 1/8th or 5/32 stainless wire to use as your heating medium. if your doing a new build, may as well pour a thin concrete floor on the second level as well , 3/4 inch concrete with a additional 1/4 inch ceramic tile on the top, with a resistive grid in the cement of course.

I estimate somewhere from 10kw to 15 kw in panels would keep a house warm and comfortable down to temps of -20, -25, all without any moving parts and nothing to wear out.
I am thinking I my try this in my kitchen next, rip up the lino, build up a cement base on the floor with the resistive wire in it., then tile it. I will have to build my own controller but that's not hard,

Stainless wire by the rolls, been using it to spin up my own precision resistors as needed, but heating may be a better use.

DSC01526 - Copy.JPG
DSC01526 - Copy.JPG (84.42 KiB) Viewed 203 times
1 x

Return to “Alternative Energy”