• Advertisement

Solar radiation

Discussions of Alternative and Renewable Energy
peppercorn

Solar radiation

Postby peppercorn » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:25 am

I cant believe I have not heard one peep from you people ( in Alberta ) on this, It stood out like a sore thumb, am I the only one observing things? We just went through a period that I believe was the worst for solar radiation for the month of November, Tell me I am not the only one to have observed and measured this....7 days, 7 straight days in a row, 7 consecuitive days with the lowest measurable values for November. It should have been on the news!! I could understand if it was missed in late December, though it would still have to be considered bad even for December.
From the 16 to the 23rd even with thousands of watts of panels, everyday produced single digit numbers of production, 3 to 5 amps from arrays that should and could have hammered out 60 amps a piece had the sun come out. This may not seem unusual for those on the coasts but for Alberta That is stunningly unusual.
DSC02064.JPG
DSC02064.JPG (39.33 KiB) Viewed 276 times

in fact unheard of, as Alberta has the best Solar production numbers for all of Canada, it doesn't get better than Alberta ( and large parts of SK). Also I observed that every day during this period the wind was for practical purposes none existent, though I had no way to measure it, so I cant confirm with objective measurements, but I am confident in my subjective observation. Has anyone recorded worse production in November?
or even equally as bad in the month of December???
This may have been the worst I have ever seen ( in Alberta) . It invites the question, will this be progressively reoccurring with climate change? I didn't expect this? Maybe its just a one off? I hope so
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Solar radiation

Postby helicopilot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:11 am

I'm no climatologist, but I certainly concur that this has been the "greyest" month in a while. Lots of mist/fog also. I feel for those relying solely on solar for their electricity production.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Also am not a climatologist here, but do agree that it has been a very grey month. We have had lots of fog, (even in October), and very cloudy days. We have had some wind here though. Probably not enough for wind turbines though.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:20 am

Yes learner, October was unusually overcast as well, but I thought it just a one off at the time in October and never mentioned it, now its appearing to be a trend through this fall and winter...here is a tip for those charging lots, Pull starting generators, is never fun, so make them electric start...the engine on this one is under 200cc so cordless drills work up to 3000, 4000 watt in size , you would likely need to use a corded drill for larger wattage generators though.
DSC02057.JPG
DSC02057.JPG (53.37 KiB) Viewed 216 times

Remove the pull cord assy, set your drill on high speed, and you will spin that motor like nothing.
DSC02059.JPG
DSC02059.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 216 times

DSC02060.JPG
DSC02060.JPG (49.38 KiB) Viewed 216 times

that's a 19mm socket for this engine size, I didn't have the correct adaptor so a bolt with the head filed down works fine.
for the size smaller generator, the 1200/1500 watt, its a 16 or 17 mm socket cant remember what one now, but one of the two.
This is a handy tip if your pull cord breaks, and you have to get the generator running.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Return to “Alternative Energy”