• Advertisement

Home defense

Discussions about Security and Defense
jonesy

Re: Home defense

Postby jonesy » Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 am

Oh, no doubt.

When "The Balloon" goes up, the signs come down:) And nothing worth protecting will be advertised.

Problem with the dog is, he can smell people and animals that aren't usual in the area a ways away. And our fence is ~150 yards from the house. So by the time he warns , anyone that was there will have time to scatter. Or scatter poison. Best thing is to have someone on sentry matched with the dog. For now, in normal times, he keeps the cougars, bears, and worst of all, salesmen, away.
0 x
One is none, two is one.

kinglawrence
Canada

Postby kinglawrence » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:21 pm

I would reccomend taking a firearms course,It Is very easy too take and then join a firearms range too learn how too use one.
I reccomend a shotgun for home defence,depends were you live in a apartment or house and density too neighbours when pick a type of caliber for your shot gun,do not forget you need too know were your bullet Is landing after It goes threw the target.I use a semiauto shotgun with bird shot for first 2 rounds then the other 2 are slugs,Also a 22lr cal pistol Is a good home defence firearm which I use for home defence too,I have bigger hand cannons but the 22 lr will suffice. ;)
0 x

kinglawrence
Canada

Postby kinglawrence » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:35 pm

If someone breaks Into your home you have every right In the criminal courts too defend yourself,If you believe you will be killed and you have a firearm or sword or knife bat or what ever It Is your right too defend your self till the subject Is down or subdued,If they are down call police and keep them down,what ever you do when they are down dont put a extra shot In them,now that Is Intent too kill different story,well hopes this helps,
(I WOULD RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6) :D
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 am

An item almost always overlooked are hinges. Most hinges can easily have the pins removed and simply pull your door off. Get a locksmith to put tamper proof hinges in
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:57 am

Install LOTS of good motion activated lights. If you are using video, make sure they do not shine or face into the cameras. Put behind cameras

Lights should illuminate all around a house or garage, shed etc.

Speaking of lights. Beware of Christmas lights effecting by our cameras
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:10 am

An item almost always overlooked are hinges. Most hinges can easily have the pins removed and simply pull your door off. Get a locksmith to put tamper proof hinges in
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm

exterior door hinges should be on the INSIDE of the house ;)
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 pm

PrepHer wrote:exterior door hinges should be on the INSIDE of the house ;)

Absolutely right...that's why exterior doors for residential are hung to swing inward.
Commercial doors are different as many are required to open outward so that panic bars can be used for emergencies.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 am

Door security is positive but all doors can be breached relatively easily. One case that comes to mind was the Satan's Choice Clubhouse in Toronto. The ETF truck just hooked on to it and pulled it open. The door remained closed on the jam, but the brick wall was pulled down. Thousands of dollars of security laid waste in 30 seconds... LOL

The moral of the story is that security devices (unless offensive) only buy you a few seconds if the Perp is determined and properly equipped..
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:14 pm

UK vet has a good point. When you do go for perimeter security, do so as discreetly as possible. Also make the entrance way less inviting. Let’s say you have an option of dropping a good sized log or tree across an entrance but have the means to move it when needed. This keeps a car from entering. Something I have considered for my very long driveway.
If you have some coin, you can use infrared lights to light up an area. Use motion sensors etc to alert you to a breach and then use your cameras to observe what your dealing with. Today’s cameras are either very good for low light or have built in infrared lights. You can also supplement with additional infrared lights. Energy consumption is less and you don’t look like stalag 13 all the time / not drawing attention to yourself.
www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”