• Advertisement

Going cold.

Discussions about Security and Defense
farmgal
Canada

Re: Going cold.

Postby farmgal » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:21 am

No, I don't believe that going cold is about the weapon at all, its about the act and its after effects

I was raised in a family that was active in northern homesteading, where we were still living in zones that you are allowed substance hunting, where I learned how to melt lead and do reloads at a very very young age, where I was in the childrens gun club by the age of eight, had my first 22 at eight and my first deer hunting rifle grandfathered in at the age of 12.

Where running traplines by the age of seven was normal etc. The point of my story was that it can be trained at either a young age or at middle age if you are willing to learn.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:25 am

What about old age...?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 am

Makes no difference, its mental..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Postby Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:56 am

Singlecell wrote:Just to be clear, is this about finishing someone off, without a gun?

This is about stopping somebody from trying to kill you. It doesn't matter if it's with your bare hands or a SOFLAM controlled GBU87.

When I talk about hunting to my family they accuse me of being a coward, like I need to feel like a big man or something, but I've never even really been like that. They just despise the thought of it.

Sounds like they need to spend a moment and meditate on where their last burger originated.

Pretty sure I'd be practically dead to them if I ever got a rifle, haha.

Heh, I'd pay money to meet these people whilst in full battle rattle.

-S.
0 x
"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Postby Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:00 am

Adagio wrote:What about old age...?
Never screw with an old warrior. They don't have time to waste fighting you... They'll just kill you out of hand.

-S.
0 x
"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:39 pm

I would never mess with an old warrior. I am old enough to know better. The question was a follow-up to farmgals point that it can be trained either at a young age or middle age if they are willing to learn. I am nearing the old age category and often wonder if I have what it takes to take a life. I am pretty darn sure if it was to protect or feed my son there would be no question. But beyond that I am not so sure.
0 x

Glockman1

Postby Glockman1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:02 pm

You can train to it or be pushed into it. The quote in Rambo 4 "when your pushed, killing is as easy as breathing" is quite true, you just have to know where you personally draw the line and if someone pushes you across that line...you protect what you got to protect. Warriors aren't warriors for themselves...they do it for those they love, for those you can't do it themselves and for the warrior standing next to you.

GM1
0 x
Chance favours the prepared mind

MoraGuy

Postby MoraGuy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:50 am

Glockman said it best! Practice and practice more on life size targets it is muscle memory. Also, the person you are shooting is not a person but a target and should always be referred to as a target. These would be the two main things that were used when I was in the Infantry. Like everyone else has said killing is wrong but if you have no choice in as shtf scenario it is a target and nothing more, aim for center of visible mass and squeeze the trigger.
0 x

army issue

Postby army issue » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:57 pm

You are the product of your experiences. The range training gives you the muscle memory to shoot accurately and effectively when you need to.
The decision to act is all done before that, and most often not yours. The outcome is the reason you've started prepping. Sucks Huh?
0 x
www.armyissue.com

Hella Fax

Postby Hella Fax » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:26 pm

This is an older thread, and I'm not going to read it all, so please forgive me if my own thoughts are repeating what someone else has already said.

I don't think you need to go cold in order to take a life. I don't think you should attempt to destroy or alter your humanity for any reason - valuing life generally, and human life especially, is part of what makes our conscious awareness, as thinking, feeling beings, so valuable. The war mindset isn't natural, no matter what military-minded people believe. The natural feelings of people are kindness and compassion, and forgiveness and trust. It's the sickness of this world we live in that's stolen those things from us, and turned them into weapons that can be used against us. The idea of killing human beings isn't natural. In a fully sane world, the idea of it would be considered insane. But we don't live in a very sane world. And in the near future, it's going to become a lot less sane.

When the world falls apart to the point where we will be forced to protect ourselves, those we care about and live with, and our ability to keep ourselves fed, clothed, and housed, by whatever means necessary, then you must necessarily look at things differently. In that sort of situation, approaching it philosophically, on what objective reasoning could you justify carrying around guilt and shame for killing another human being, if you had to do it? What purpose would it serve? Would it help you to be able to do it again, if you had to? I think it would hinder it. Would it help you to grow as a human being? Again, I think it would be counterproductive. Would it increase your value as a human being? No. Would it otherwise benefit you in any way? I can't think of one. The reality is that, if you were forced to kill someone to protect yourself, or another or others, or the security of the assets you or you and they had that were responsible for ensuring your continuing survival, then who really killed who? Yeah, you might have pulled the trigger, or fired the arrow, or stabbed this person to death, but they were the one who failed to see that you were willing to do so to protect what you had to protect, and forced you to it. From an objective standpoint, whether you were the physical agent or not, they really killed themselves. You can say that it was the car that killed you, if you jumped in front of it, but who jumped in front of it?

Owning your emotions, as opposed to them owning your awareness, as is pretty much the norm - and something I'm a victim of myself - isn't easy, but for the sake of your survival, and that of the people close to you, you must do what you can to mitigate them with objective reason. Mourning the loss of a life you were forced to take is natural. Life is precious, and its loss is always tragic. But to willfully allow yourself to carry guilt and shame over something beyond your control is beyond foolish. If a bear was threatening to maul you, your friend, wife, child, neighbor, you would, without hesitation, kill it. If a man, with full conscious awareness, was threatening the welfare of you, your friend, wife, child, or neighbor, the situation is no different. No matter what your emotions would try and have you believe, carrying guilt and shame for any reason is completely counterproductive.
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”