• Advertisement

Home defense

Discussions about Security and Defense
Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Re: Home defense

Postby Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Well, not really. what you said would mean that a person wielding a knife could only be addressed by the defender wielding a knife whereas the continuum of force dictates that a person presenting lethal force can be stopped by a defender using lethal force that will ensure the threat is stopped, whether it meant that you employed a knife, baseball bat, piece of re-bar, firearm, car, boom crane fitted with a wrecking ball... what-have-you that was the minimal & reasonable amount of force required to stop the threat. Although it is accepted that if a person presents as a threat with a knife, shooting that threat would fall within the continuum of force. The trouble begins when firearms statutes and the whole retreat issue falls into place. In today's legal system a person who is walking down the street that shoots/stabs an attacker (even with the attacker's weapon!) instead of running away in Canada will face the full force of the law.

-S.
0 x
"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Bull!
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

Maple Leaf Pilgrim
Canada

Postby Maple Leaf Pilgrim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 pm

ranger2012 wrote:Bull!

I see.

ranger2012 wrote:It has to be justifiable force, and no greater than what your threatened with. In other words, if he has a knife, you can't blow him away with a shot gun

Then what does that mean, exactly?

The continuum of force instructs that a person wielding a knife can be stopped with the minimum amount of force required. If that means a bat or a knife won't stop the threat and you have to shoot the threat, you may shoot the threat.

-S.
0 x
"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

woodbooger
Canada

Postby woodbooger » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 pm

we had a case in Port Colbourne a few months ago where two neighbors had been having a dispute,in the middle of the night 4 guys firebombed the one guys house with Molotov cocktails. He was a firearms instructor and pulled out his Handgun, I think he fired 2 shots, one in the air and one in the ground and scared the attackers away. All 4 guys were arrested... so was he. He was pretty much facing more jail time than the other A**holes. Charges of careless use were dropped but they tried to nail him on improper storage and take away his guns. In this case justice was eventually done, he was found not guilty and the attackers were sentenced to several years each, however his legal bills were somewhere in the area of $60,000. So be wary of your actions but I wholeheartedly agree that I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
0 x

Muzzle

Postby Muzzle » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Self defence is a tricky subject in Canada. Using a firearm for for self defence is even trickier.

If you are forced to use a gun in self defence in Canada it is a guarantee you will be charged with something and have your guns confiscated until the courts sort it out. There is a plenty of cases to back up this claim. It will cost you thousands in legal fees to beat it. See the above post as an example. In the case of the firebombing, the victim had surveillance cameras and the attackers were caught on video using the molotovs. A clear cut case of self defence but despite that he was charged anyways. A travesty of justice.

If you have a gun you plan to use in home defence, do yourself a small favour and make sure it is non-restricted. The safe storage laws for non-restricted are less stringent and improves your chances of beating the pretty much mandatory unsafe storage charge. Essentially the safe storage laws are written so it is almost impossible to use your restricted because you should not have easy access to it.

If you live in a rural area and keep livestock, you are allowed to keep a non-restricted gun unlocked and unloaded with ammo nearby for predator defence if you are present in the home. If you are not home, it needs to be locked up or trigger locked as per the law. If you have children, use your head and keep your firearm secure.

Remember if you have restricted firearms, they can be secured in a SAFE without trigger locks provides they are unloaded and the magazines are not inserted. An loaded magazine inserted counts as being loaded. They can be beside the gun, just not in the gun. That safe could be beside your bed for easy access if you wanted to go that route. Make sure your storage receptacle meets the legal definition of a safe.
0 x

carbon04

Postby carbon04 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 am

UKVet wrote:

Nope rely on Gov website that is as clear as mud. l guess its lost on you that being misdirected by a official is a defense in itself?!

Perhaps you would like to interpret the website for me, because i cannot make head nor tail of it!

it just has to be 'reasonable'....so what any competent, prudent upstanding (no criminal convictions) member of society thinks is 'reasonable' under the circumstances set out
0 x
"I think that I am very reasonable therefore ......." ICRCC

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:47 am

I think that I am very reasonable therefore ....... :twisted:
0 x

carbon04

Postby carbon04 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:59 am

ICRCC wrote:I think that I am very reasonable therefore ....... :twisted:

we'll see! :twisted:
0 x

carbon04

Postby carbon04 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 am

carbon04 wrote:
ICRCC wrote:I think that I am very reasonable therefore ....... :twisted:

we'll see! :twisted:

:D
0 x

Wastow

Postby Wastow » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:43 pm

UKVet wrote:l think to much overt home security/defence is an invitation to invasion. One of the best forms of defense in this case i belive is secrecy. A big dog is common enough and a good deterant.

This is now true inspiration for me to get a dog that I have been wanting for a while now. :)...secrecy is key...
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”