• Advertisement

Home defense

Discussions about Security and Defense
nemo

Re: Home defense

Postby nemo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:58 pm

Let me think...

Should they go upstairs (bedroom) - I'd do my very worst (followed by 'on-the-house' hydrofluoric acid bath and prompt disposal, if I'm lucky enough to live through it ;)
0 x

quietman

Postby quietman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:32 am

Angry squirrels seem to be the most effective. Second place goes to a skunk under the porch... but ummm...
0 x
Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the quiet part...

lindseynicole010

Postby lindseynicole010 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:28 pm

thanks for that.
0 x

bcprepper1
Canada

Postby bcprepper1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:08 am

A big dog is usually a pretty good deterent
1 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:39 am

Does anyone know the liability issues with posting warning signs about dogs . Mine is primarily for protecting us from bears but ripped a coat on a surprise visit by the jehovah witness and I have asked them not to return without calling first because the dog is over boisterous and 100 lbs now. There is liability and a bylaw that you should chain or kennel your dog if you know it is aggressive. Well everyone here have big aggressive dogs guarding , all the neighbours have big dogs on their acreages to ward off coyote packs, bears and big cats and protect from two leggeds who really should not be there and they cannot be locked up to do their jobs. I know somewhere I read discussion and the precise wording on your signs makes a difference in liability . I have told people everyone to call and tell me when they are coming so I can secure the dogs but for those who dont I want to limit the liability of them coming uninvited into the guard dogs territory . Does anyone know what wording is fair warning and yet limits your own liability ?
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Syn wrote:Does anyone know the liability issues with posting warning signs about dogs . Mine is primarily for protecting us from bears but ripped a coat on a surprise visit by the jehovah witness and I have asked them not to return without calling first because the dog is over boisterous and 100 lbs now. There is liability and a bylaw that you should chain or kennel your dog if you know it is aggressive. Well everyone here have big aggressive dogs guarding , all the neighbours have big dogs on their acreages to ward off coyote packs, bears and big cats and protect from two leggeds who really should not be there and they cannot be locked up to do their jobs. I know somewhere I read discussion and the precise wording on your signs makes a difference in liability . I have told people everyone to call and tell me when they are coming so I can secure the dogs but for those who dont I want to limit the liability of them coming uninvited into the guard dogs territory . Does anyone know what wording is fair warning and yet limits your own liability ?

You are explaining the rationale as to the purpose of your dog very eloquently, which is important. I'm not a lawyer, but if I look at recent dog-mauling incidents, I don't think that signage prevents any liability. Signage would possibly sway jury in your favour if it went to court as a proof of due diligence, but the question of owning a "vicious" dog would remain. I think you would likely see a fine and the dog euthanized. Then again, you may find this is a fair price to pay for peace of mind and protection. On itself, the signage may deter trespassers, so they are a good idea. I think that the common signs found everywhere are your safe bet. In all cases, avoid making a sign that makes your dog seem dangerous. The consequences in a trial would likely be against you in that case, demonstrating you knew before hand your dog was aggressive.

In the USA, lawyers suggests to keep defense guns as plain as possible, without modification and avoid those novelty signs "trespassers will be shot" or "this house is protected by Remington" because in the event of a self defense shooting trial, it would look as though the shooter had malicious intents from the get-go. I imagine it would be similar with a dog attack here in Canada.
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm

One of my neighbours once told me that a "Guard Dog On Duty" sign is much better than a sign that says "Beware Of Dog" sign. I am not a lawyer, but was told that courts seem to like the Guard dog signs better. I personally don't know, as I only have a cat!
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:12 pm

I've had many people stop halfway up my walkway because they couldn't see the dog that was barking at them. Even had a contractor refuse to work on my house because of my dog. Oddly, the mail lady can (and does) walk right up to them no problem! Here in Quebec, they are getting a bit tricky about dogs after a few attacks, some fatal. Research provincial and municipal laws and maybe check with your home insurance just in case.
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Sun May 07, 2017 8:47 pm

In my area, dog warning signs are mandatory. Can't say they didn't know one was there:)

120 lbs of maremma makes a good doorbell!
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu May 18, 2017 7:55 pm

In an actual SHTF scenario, I'd make sure that I took down the signs or post another one to say that I have something worth protecting. The negative of signs is that they bring attention to your location and give ample warning to the Perps so they will only come back when they're prepared to deal with dogs.

The smart approach is to dispatch the dog(s) with poison and return at some latter point to complete the recon. The largest benefit of a dog is the audible warning it provides. Any dog worth his weight should sound the alarm before a Perp can read a sign. If not, the signs are placed too far away from the home. Signs may help protect you from liability, but when the SHTF that's the least of your worries.

Prepare for the inevitable. It's just a matter of time before someone will attempt to take what you've worked so hard to build. A 120 lbs guard dog is not much of a deterrent to starving people with shotguns or criminals that would knife someone for their wallet even when no SHTF situation exists.
0 x

Return to “Security and Defense”