• Advertisement

Home defense

Discussions about Security and Defense
Kootenay prepper
Canada

Re: Home defense

Postby Kootenay prepper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:03 pm

A cheap way to help give you more time to get armed if someone tries to go through a exterior door is good strike plates. Instead of using the tiny screws that come with them use 10 inch screws that will go through the door frame and into the studs. Also works for the hinges. This will not prevent entry but hopefully buy you a little time.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 pm

In the context of "home security," it's best to try to understand what you are protecting yourself against. Some scenarios might include:

1. A homicidal maniac(s) wanting to relive the Manson Family murders;
2. A person breaking into your home to steal valuables i.e. Stereo, TV, computer, Jewelry, etc. (believing that the house is unoccupied); or
3. In a survival situation, people looking for food/supplies.

How we protect ourselves depends upon the scenario. For scenario #

1. Be prepared to use deadly force. Like I previously mentioned, if people are determined to get in they will. It's just a matter of time. There are no steps that you can take to stop them unless the solution you choose is a permanent one. You are protected from criminal liability if you use no more force than is necessary under the circumstances.

2. Deter the Perps by lighting, cameras, secure points of possible entry (windows, doors). This has been discussed in great detail. If you are home, make your presence known.

3. This is likely the primary scenario that you may be most concerned about. The answer is far less complex than you might think:

a) Don't advertise what you have available for survival. Your preps are your own; keep them confidential.

b) When using them, keep a small footprint. No large fires or light shows; be discreet.

c) Stash your supplies where they will not be easily found. If people want in, open the door. As you have little to take, you shouldn't worry about people taking your supplies. They will leave to seek-out greater opportunities. If you show a high level of security, you are not keeping a low profile. Poor destitute people are seldom worried about being robbed.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Wayne,

Thanks for sharing your tips on this subjects. Curious about your point #3. I certainly believe in being a grey man, but having been through a few crisis of the likes of the Quebec Ice Storm, I see there is a lot more complexity to this.

For example, after a short while, I might be the only one that still has the generator running to pump water and rune a fridge/freezer for a couple of hours everyday. In the winter, I might be the only one that has enough firewood to keep the house warm after mist have expanded their 1/2 cord they keep for the Christmas Eve fireplace ambiance. I might also be the one that has enough spare batteries (or rechargeable with a solar charger) to keep a flashlight going at week 2 of a crisis. In other words, even by trying to remain low key, I would stand out.

In Quebec, good old country folks prepared for the storm by virtue of their lifestyles faced very imaginative crooks. For examples, a couple of low lifes used army surplus clothes to pretend they were soldiers going door to door and "requisitioned" (with somewhat official-looking papers) generators from those who had one.

Anyway, do you have words of wisdoms to expand on this topic?
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 pm

helicopilot wrote:Wayne,

Thanks for sharing your tips on this subjects. Curious about your point #3. I certainly believe in being a grey man, but having been through a few crisis of the likes of the Quebec Ice Storm, I see there is a lot more complexity to this.

For example, after a short while, I might be the only one that still has the generator running to pump water and rune a fridge/freezer for a couple of hours everyday. In the winter, I might be the only one that has enough firewood to keep the house warm after mist have expanded their 1/2 cord they keep for the Christmas Eve fireplace ambiance. I might also be the one that has enough spare batteries (or rechargeable with a solar charger) to keep a flashlight going at week 2 of a crisis. In other words, even by trying to remain low key, I would stand out.

In Quebec, good old country folks prepared for the storm by virtue of their lifestyles faced very imaginative crooks. For examples, a couple of low lifes used army surplus clothes to pretend they were soldiers going door to door and "requisitioned" (with somewhat official-looking papers) generators from those who had one.

Anyway, do you have words of wisdoms to expand on this topic?

In the #3 scenario there is no one answer to every situation. If for example, you store firewood in a location that's visible, you will likely experience theft. A good reason to place your main stockpile in a hidden location. Having a fire will (in the situation you described) no doubt increase the chance of detection. If you have visitors, you can ask them to come in and warm themselves. You have a bit more (perhaps a 24 hour supply that you have handy) and tell them that's all you have until you attempt to glean more from the forest tomorrow. They could of course hold you up for a few sticks of wood, but I think this is unlikely.

The generator poses less of a problem as they are heavy to move and require fuel. If you have your fuel safely stored out-of-sight it's unlikely that they would steal it along with the 3 or 4 gallons of gas you have on-hand. If they do, you then have the choice of stopping them, or letting it go.

I have a large generator on the side of the house. I wouldn't kill anyone over stealing a generator. For me generators are great in the short-term, but I don't think people would normally threaten physical violence over a short-tern solution as they are likely not desperite enough (but that's just my perspective). Anyway if I was presented with this possibility, if they could lift and carry it (a two man job) have at it... After moving it 100 feet or so my wife could kick the *rap out of both of them. LOL

In your area, people seem to be more prepared. Likely you will have less problem than most of us. Have you thought of a hand pump for your well? You aren't then dependent on fuel for the generator or need to worry about mechanical breakdown/parts.

Unless you have a secret underground bunker, securing a residance from outside violence isn't a reasonable option imo. Come to think of it, Hitler had one and that didn't work out so well... The worst situation would be a life and death struggle in a long-term survival situation where there are no rules. If violence was possible, I would secure the safety of my family and leave. No Rambo antics. Close proximity combat would increase the chance of injury to myself or my family. I'd give it all up. I wouldn't want my family to see what would follow.

As a trained police sniper and tactical operator, I believe the conclusion would be inevitable. The Perps would never hear the bullet. Each would be eliminated and the bodies disposed of. My family would return to commence the day-to-day struggle. I'm sure that wouldn't be everyone's course of action, but it would be mine.

I don't believe that securing my home like a fortress has much benefit. It works well in a society with power, where the largest element of danger lies in having your TV stolen. It offers little protection in dealing with despirate people who resort to violence. If they're not violent, I'd try my best to help them. If not, here are the keys (I'll be back).
2 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks Wayne, appreciate your input.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:17 am

I am not sure what to say if anyone in my area was in a bind with wood, I would hope that they come to me first, I would be happy to help them out....I cant even imagine such a situation, everyone around me has nothing but trees to cut down, and acres of them....No one will steel my wood...Much off it is cut to 24 inches, some to 30inches (max for the down stairs stove) That length wont fit in most stoves.....Steeling is pointless when they would have to cut it to a smaller length anyway...Im not worried about steeling.... At all
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00 pm

While looking at doors. Make sure hinge pins can’t be simply popped lose. No amount of door lock and window hardening will stop a bad guy using this easy trick.
Medeco deadbolts with controlled key ways are a must have if your budget permits. Most deadbolts can be twisted off with vice grips. Not so much these?

Keep shrubbery low and away from basement windows.

Lots of motion and scheduled lights

Cameras tell bad guys you are serious. Of course they can defeat with hats etc, but it still sends a message and their make, colorvand model of vehicle is recorded. Make sure you have at least two weeks of recording time

“Ring” makes a decent remote viewing system you can use to watch or record for a fee activity via your Iphone, iPad etc
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Clarence wrote: ...Lots of motion and scheduled lights

Cameras tell bad guys you are serious. Of course they can defeat with hats etc, but it still sends a message and their make, colorvand model of vehicle is recorded. Make sure you have at least two weeks of recording time

“Ring” makes a decent remote viewing system you can use to watch or record for a fee activity via your Iphone, iPad etc

Great information Clarence, but this is applicable to when the power is on not off. In a long-term survival situation, these items are paperweights. Cameras identify that you are serious, but also that it's likely that you have a reason to be (items possessed that may have trade value). In a situation like this, that which does not help you can hurt you. You do not want to advertise yourself as a viable target of opportunity.
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 am

Wayne. To be sure Power is needed. As a security professional who has worked on all manner of medium to extremely high end security environments, cameras do send the message of we are watching you. And they do act as a deterrent. Baseball bat can be an issue, but when you put them in a crossfire coverage, they catch the idiot smacking the other camera.
I lived without regular power for 13 days during ice storm of 98. I did have a Gen and fuel, so had all the basics covered.

I understand that budgets are an issue but in planning for all manner of emergencies, means we may have power, but no food due to terrorist attack, a sars type of incident etc. So one should try and be as real world as possible and work with budgets and real world risks. I see power as being high up on the list. Water, food, medicines, heat being tops. A camera system helps you know who is doing what on your property, everyone has unique living conditions so a little hard to go into plans on this site, but let’s say you live in the suburbs. During a crisis, Your asleep And someone just jumped your fence. A camera with an audible alarm will wake you and you can then go say “Hi”. But yes you need power. That power can be a Gen, regular power or series of batteries running off solar. Cameras when configured properly can be like having guards who never sleep.

Would they come before having taken care of food, light, medicine? No, but they have their place in some peoples plans. Technology is a tool and not a cure all and in some instances is a hindrance due to costs and ones reliance on them. Some paracord with cans etc are cheaper and don’t need power.

So budgets, where you live, who you have watching your perimeter... all need to be looked at. THANK You, for your feedback. Duly noted and will try and build into future posts. Happy New Years
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Actually I keep thorned bushes quite HIGH around some windows:). Blackberry, Hawthorne, etc below some windows are a great deterrent. Mind you, we don’t have a basement:)

As for doors...

A pair of these and a 2x4 work. Or angle iron.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-Zinc-G ... e/50069795

Or if you want to go all fancy..
(These can be had cheaper than on amazon, but good images here..)

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... H0EALw_wcB
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Return to “Security and Defense”